Project Cobra (jet?) Drag Car

Mr_C

Reaction score
A Brief introduction. I am a Ford guy, car collector, and new to the forum. My stable includes a 69 Fastback (with a 331 stroker/c4), 71 Convertible w/351C, 84 SVO (highly modified 2.3T), 2002 GT (slightly modified, wife's car, bought new and has about 30k on it now). I also have a 73 bronco with a 351w, auto and on 35s, an all original fully functional 1950 Desoto, a 51 cabover project (51 ford cab, 1999 E350 dually diesel chassis... some assembly required), a 63 econoline van (302/C4) and a 65 Econoline Van up (stripped for paint, but ready for a sbf/aod) and some daily driver stuff.

My most recent addition is a '94 Cobra drag car, which was a project by fellow forum member BlizzND. http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?60128-Project-Cobra-Jet/

My main goal is to get this car together and usable. It is clearly a drag car, but I am going to make it "streetable", even if it isn't very drivable. I would really like to take it to an occasional cruise night, although it will be trailered to the race track as I realize driving it isn't practical. I am going to start with finishing up the paint, brakes, wiring and fuel lines for the car. I can do that before I figure out what motor/tranny I am going to use.

I am really unsure of the motor tranny combination. Ideally (if money were no object) I would build a stroked/injected/twin turboed 351w. Unfortunately, money is an object, so I am looking for other options. I would really like to find a Small block ford that has most of the work done already and just needs some tweeking or freshening up. There is currently a 466 (460, 30 over) out of a mud truck that comes with a dyno sheet showing 600hp and 600ft-lbs of torque for about $4k, but I don't really want to go with a big block (that would kind of kill my "streetable" theory too). I wouldn't be opposed to building a less extreme but really stout 350hp motor and then applying a little N2O. My initial thought is that around 500hp should make this car really move. I also am leaning towards a c4 as I know that it's hard to be consistent when rowing gears when bracket racing.

I am really open to advice and ideas. I am not all that familiar with the SN95 chassis and it's advantages/limitations. And I am really just looking for an opportunity when it comes to the drivetrain.

Also, I really like pics, so expect a lot on my threads. :)

Here is the car as I bought it.

WP_20140518_15_07_59_Pro_zpsb7fe0941.jpg

WP_20140518_21_41_41_Pro_zps64a654e7.jpg

WP_20140518_21_36_54_Pro_zps1e6dbfe4.jpg

WP_20140518_21_40_05_Pro_zps8d702991.jpg

WP_20140518_21_39_12_Pro_zps8d355c42.jpg

WP_20140518_21_38_40_Pro_zpsaa834d5f.jpg

WP_20140518_21_37_55_Pro_zps02e30859.jpg

WP_20140518_21_37_26_Pro_zpsf6774b0a.jpg

WP_20140518_21_57_23_Pro_zpsf6c0fa61.jpg

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I would first determine if you want to go 2v, 4v, or pushrod and manual or auto. From there you have tons of options/directions to go

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
I am open to 2v, 4v or pushrod, but am pretty confident I will end up with a pushrod motor just because there are a lot more opportunities to find a high HP pushrod motor around here. I definitely want to go auto just for consistency. If I had the original motor I would consider building that up, but instead I am starting from scratch.

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
I have been doing some surfing for engine options. I found a 4v 4.6 out of a 2004 Mach 1 with 60k on it and a Paxton supercharger. Was supposed to be running when pulled. includes engine, auto tranny, computer, electronics, wiring, etc for about $4k. I haven't researched much yet. I guess that the motor was 305hp stock, and with the supercharger should be right around 500hp (the seller claims 500+). Seems like it would be a pretty cool option as it is a much like the cobra motors. I am not sure about that tranny though as far as parasitic drag and strength.

This isn't what I was thinking of initially, but it might be an economical and cool way to get the performance I a looking for. It has the advantage of high drivability compared to other options I have looked at as well.

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
I think I made a little progress. I got ahold of the guy who painted most of the car. He said he can get to it in a few weeks, so that's a step in the right direction. I also found a guy with a built C4 and a couple high stall TCI converters. I am still working on getting more details, but that will likely push me more towards the stroker 351 (He also has a 351 SVO block and some other parts from his car).

And since ya'll like pics, I thought I would post a few of my other pony's...
IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

(same 71 as the earlier pic, but after I lowered it and put on the good wheels)

71mustang_zps3e859930.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Super jealous of the svo and the 69 :(

But, awesome car here, can't wait to see what you do!

kb1982

Reaction score
Absolutely love your car. Hopefully someday, mine will recieve the more "hardcore" racer treatment as yours. Im running the same coilover kit in the front as you, I do believe. Kinda bugs me that the bottom adjusting collar doesnt have a set screw. Looking forward to watching this beast come together.

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I would love to put a cobra jet engine in it, but if I had that kinda cash, I would just buy a cobrajet!

I am doing a little cleanup work on the car now, and won't be doing any serious work to it till I get the paint completed. I am actually working on getting a few things taken care of so I can bring the SVO and Fastback to the track in 2 weeks.

kb1982, I really like the flames on your car, especially the ones on the hood. That might give me some ideas. It appears you have quite a bit of work done to your car, what have you done to it and what does it run?

kb1982

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. As for times, i havent had a chance to run it yet. I bought the car complete, and have been righting wrongs ever since. The motor is a Dart 8.2 deck block. The car was a trade in at a dealer, I guess the owner got fed up when they couldnt get it lined out. As for the actual size, Im not for sure of the bore or stroke, but im pulling the oil pan shortly to replace the gasket so I should be able to find out the stroke. It has Trickflow Twisted Wedge 190 heads, Holley systemax upper and lower, 75 mm edelbrock throttle body,Vortech V2 supercharger with custom intercooler, 42 lb injectors, BBk 1 5/8" long tubes. The transmission has been swapped to a Tremec 3550 with upgraded input and output shafts, Mcleod blowproof bellhousing, and its now has a spec stage 3 clutch after the centerforce went up in smoke. Its also has a welded in driveshaft loop and subframe connectors, with aluminum driveshaft and 4:10 gears in the rear. Im running the same coilovers as you in the front with UPR k member and control arms. The rear had the same setup as yours, but I have swapped the lowers to J&M weight jackers for tire clearance when driving on the street. It also 10 way adjustable QA1 shocks and an antisquat bar welded in and the tabs welded to the rear housing, but i need to order the links for it. After I get all of the leaks taken care of, and the Megasquirt PnP with a good tune in it. the next step will prolly be welding in battleboxes. I also need to get a hood for it, as putting the pins back in was an oversight one day when i was dicking with it. Your project pretty much incorporates all the other things I wanna do with my car.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome! Awesome line up of cars you've got there. The clean slate of the sn95 looks like a fun project, keep us posted on the plans and direction you are headed

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
I thought I would post a couple pics of the Belly of the Beast. Hopefully this is the only way I ever get to see the bottom of this car. Also I have a appointment scheduled in a couple weeks to get the rest of the body painted. At that point it will be all cleaned up and ready for reassembly. :)

WP_20140523_22_12_31_Pro_zps9612031c.jpg

WP_20140523_18_51_14_Pro_zps0bd38e68.jpg

WP_20140523_18_50_59_Pro_zpsa36c82ba.jpg

robb15033

Reaction score
Awesome collection of Mustangs. All are unique looking. I'd like to see more pics. Does the '71 ass end have same taillights as SN95 used "retro" style?
Like this?:
71Mustangtaillights.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
Yah, the '71 has the same tail lights as in your picture. I didn't realize they were specifically the lights the SN95 was modeled after. Here is a pic from the back side. Not the best pick, but mostly trying to get a good view of the tires.

71mustang_rear_zps5b6961d8.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
I haven't had much for updates recently, but that is because I was busy getting some body work done. The Cobra is now all white. :) I removed parts to save the painter some time, and then put everything back on except the doors. I have some wiring to do now and it is a lot easier to get at without doors. :)

WP_20140607_11_59_08_Pro_zps9407e31d.jpg

WP_20140607_11_59_20_Pro_zpse30720e9.jpg

I think my next big step is wiring. The car currently has NO wire in it. I need to rerun everything. My plan is to buy a painless wiring kit knock-off and use that. I installed one of those on my 65 Econoline and it was pretty straight forward (and light weight). I just need to pick out the exact one and order it.

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
Right now it is a clean slate, I love the cobrajet decal work... but I am not sure exactly what I am going to do. I am going to keep working on finishing up the car and hope for some inspiration.

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
OK, haven't been updating for a while, but I am finally getting some progress going (and I sold my Vmax, so I have some more funds to finish this).

I bought a motor/trans for the car, its a 351w (SVO sportsman block), with a 392 Engle steel stroker crank, 69 EO0D heads, big comp cams roller cam, comp pro magnesium 1.6 rockers, Holley 750 4150, wienand stealth intake MSD ignition, SFI flexplate and balancer, other misc parts... and a fresh full Alto Red rebuilt C4, and TCI 2500 and 3500 stall converters.

He said he was running 11's NA in a 4500lb Torino with it. He did have a N20 shot in case he needed an extra boost, and had an issue with that and lost a couple rods/pistons (I have the remaining 6), it damaged a couple cylinder walls, but he had a local performance shop resleeve it, line bore it, deck it, etc. I need to get pistons, rods, and misc parts to reassemble.

Now is the tricky part. Want to make some pretty serious horsepower (~700) and am not really confident in the heads or intake (he said he was making 800 before with this combination). They seem to me like the week spot. Still looking for ideas there but it looks like a set of ATI head would be a good investment at this point and a single plane intake.

Also, short term I want to run carbureted with a shot of nitrous, but long term I can really see myself going twin turbo FI, so I am always considering what I might want going that direction. I have a bit of experience with turbos in my SVO, but nothing this serious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online