Project Red Headed 3v

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Once the clear goes on my hood i plan to do something similar in order to save the hood with the botchy hood pin hole repair and cracking fiber glass. Making me want to go do it now and definitely do carbonfiber fenders and hood ill bring my fenders over to!

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I sense carbonium fibers...

Lol

im still thinking on that... Ive been on the fence with this hood since i saw the feather carbon 4" cowl that tapers down on the back half of the cowl. I think it looks more badass and its not as obstructive to the view for the driver. Its like $800 for the hood and hood rails though.

I've got enough carbon to do the hood as it sits, but it'd either have a seam down the center (my cloth is 39" wide, hood is 60") or i'd have to order wider carbon, or do a spread tow carbon center on the cowl part (im not sure how that would look though).

So i need to decide if i want to keep this hood, or sell it once done (painted or carbon wrapped).

And training for the new job starts Thursday, so i'll only have 2 days a week at home for the next 2-3 months

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Got the hood all sanded and marked the low spots.

Then scuffed the low spots, mixed more filler and spread it about.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Pulled the hood off the car and got everything all sanded down. I'll probably go out this evening and tack all the carbon fiber in place, then tomorrow wet it all out and vacuum bag it

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Laminating epoxy tinted black and thickened was rolled on. This is to keep the non black surface from showing through the carbon cloth. If the surface was black, you wouldnt have to do this.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Carbon has been put onto the gelcoat while it was still tacky. Then it was wet out with laminating epoxy and covered in peel ply. It has now been left to cure overnight.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
It looks wavy and uneven... Thats because it is!
This is 3 of 5 layers of epoxy im putting over the carbon fabric to seal it. This is a special UV resistant epoxy that shouldnt yellow over time. Once i get all 5 layers on, i'll take the water wizz and start wet sanding, Once that is done, it'll get 5 or 6 coats of clear. That will then be wet sanded and then polished. By the time its done, it should be like a mirror.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Alrighty. Here we go. I knocked down the edges where some resin pooled and drippes. Then put it back on the car. There is Alot of excess resin, this was done purposely so i can sand the excess epoxy flat and have a smooth and even hood. Once that is all done, it'll get some cleae coat and then polished. About half way done with this mini project, so yes it looks crappy in areas, but its a work in progress, so dont hold it against me. :)

Reaction score
Alrighty. Here we go. I knocked down the edges where some resin pooled and drippes. Then put it back on the car. There is Alot of excess resin, this was done purposely so i can sand the excess epoxy flat and have a smooth and even hood. Once that is all done, it'll get some cleae coat and then polished. About half way done with this mini project, so yes it looks crappy in areas, but its a work in progress, so dont hold it against me. :)

:hidesbehindsofa:

i-...it looks tits...

RedTwilight

Reaction score
The hood is looking good! But I was almost expecting you to make a brand new one from scratch. :notworthy:
I'm going to have to look into that UV resistant epoxy for when I do a few items on mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online