Project TRD Pony (Bar'd 2jz Swap)

Spd0lit

Reaction score
Hello all! After a long hiatus with my mustang it is time to finally show it some love. A little back story with the car. This car has been with me since the beginning being my first car. It has been there to drive me through high school and college. But I unfortunately could not show it the love it deserved during college because commuter cars got in the way and unfortunately that ment the mustang had to sit it out on the sidelines. It was a healthy hci 302 and was good enough to get me high 12s in the 1/4 mile. While it sat though I began to get an itch in the back of my head to do something crazy with it.

That itch slowly became an obsession and that kind of leads me to where I am today. During college I worked at a well known supra shop in Southern California and had become quite impressed by the build quality of the 2jz and how reliable it really is. All of the gaskets are either o-ringed or multi-layered steel and everything is just over-built on it.

But if I was going to do this build, I was going to do it the right way. The goal first is to build a smog legal 2jz with the v160 6spd. This is a slow build but I hope to have something I can be proud of at the end of the day. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but please bear with me.

2jzgte with v160 6spd. I will be converting the jdm motor to usdm specs

Out goes the 302

Sure is a lot of spaceI'm

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, this will be quite the project!

OP
OP
S

Spd0lit

Reaction score

I am going full MM front end with a new 03 Cobra rack

This is a hydraulic clutch conversion kit I'm using. This will also mean I am going hydroboost as it is designed around the smaller fox body booster.

First Initial test fit!

Made a Jig to plan out the mounting brackets

Brackets done in 1/4in thick steel using 302 energy suspension mounts. Just need to be welded up

New koyo hubs with MM ARP studs. I will also be adding the ARP studs to the rear

26891638654_1672f911b0_z.jpg

27429168311_e801ca26cb_z.jpg

I am using a stifflers T56 crossmember and surprisingly lines up pretty well!

Reaction score
Are you gonna drift the car? Cause you should refer to it as Tokyo drift or abomination 2.0 (if you're obsessed then I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about)

If not then I have no idea what to call it.

OP
OP
S

Spd0lit

Reaction score
While I'm aware of the Tokyo Drift movie with the RB 26 swapped classic, I can't say that is my inspiration for the build. I just wanted something different and this is what is going to satisfy myself. I'm not building it for anyone but myself, if other people enjoy it along the way, great. The direction for the car is more of a all around car. I know this means there will be some compromises, but i want to be able to take it road racing and to the drag strip and maybe even some airstrip racing and just have fun with it!

Reaction score
honestly Spd0lit , i think its gonna be a super cool project. it already is, im definitely excited to see it all come to life. your car is definitely going to turn heads and break necks at shows. my brother is constantly trying to get me to swap a jdm motor in my car but he has no luck so im trying to avoid sending him your build for a while hahah

and this is what i meant by "abomination"

mustang-seis-cilindros-abre-620x349.jpg

4e7a14db-e863-4f42-b893-255bbc3cb663.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spd0lit

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I have seen that build before! He had a 2.3 svo motor in it before. I do like the gulf livery that he used

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Sweet, coming together really well. Gonna get it tuned at FSR? Streetfighter kit?

OP
OP
S

Spd0lit

Reaction score
The first step is I am wanting to get it Bar'd which means stock turbos for now. But in the long run yes a streetfighter kit is in the cards. I'll probably do standlone and e85 first and run that until the stock turbos blow.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Awesome. Join us at the track one when it's complete.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This will be so awesome when it's done!!!!!!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Reaction score
you, [MENTION=19482]B.mad[/MENTION] , [MENTION=21235]neverenuff[/MENTION] , [MENTION=9111]Spd0lit[/MENTION] and i all need to get together for some track time.
itll be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tits legit

neverenuff

Reaction score
I'm down! Just let me know. Anyways killer car! You might get some negative comments but no where near an LS swap...haters are going to hate! In all seriousness it's going to be one of a kind car that'll eat just about every vette out there. Keep up the good work man and let us know how the CA refs work out.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is not the forum where you will get a bunch of negativity for doing something different. Go to SVTP and they would probably ban you.

I love this swap. If you need any help, I am sure you can contact real street performance in Florida. They build a 2jz foxbody like once a month.

And as far as LS swaps go, we don't hate them either. They just usually never get done right lol

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i'm down with this sickness (in my disturbed voice)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online