Proposed Swap

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the 5.4 swap would be awesome if you have the cash and time to do it. However on a logical scale it would be much more simple to do a 4 valve 4.6 swap, not to mention the financial stand point. But having a 331 under the hood would be sweet.

G

GREG@SN95

well if you have a 5.4... or can get one very cheap...

then it ain't a bad idea.... it will take alot of fabricating...
like mentioned before... the 330 is a truck motor... Its makes Low End power... it doesn't like to rev high... so you may wanna tear it apart and build it so it performs more like a mustang motor and less like a truck motor...

I know theres a guy @ Mustang Boards that has done a 5.4 3V swap... he's happy...

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Well let me break it down lol.

I've spoken with a lot of people that have done the swap. If you can get the motor for cheap...even better. Only thing you need is a pi intake and the Reichard Racing 2v adapters. sooooooo $$ for a cheap 5.4 2v since no one wants them and $315 for the adapters. And no you don't have to fab anything. :) its a complete swap, thats why i like it so much. Also with the pi intake it will have powerband just like the 4.6 but still it won't rev as high since it has longer stroke. But then again i won't be reving over 5500 rpm since i have a auto. :)

So basicaly for $315, $150 that i got the motor for, $200 for nic naks like oil and such. I will have another 15 hp and 90 flb of torque.
so ........ I think its worth while since i'm not wanting a 10 sec street car.

But i will be rebuilding that motor since it came from a junk yard and the truck was totalled. :)

I'm going to build it up a little first too, but thats a no brainer........but to everyone that thinks its hard and thinks that you have to fab things..... you don't.
Everything swaps over, there is just a few small things to work out but nothing needs fabing but the adapters but since you can get them from RR why not?

:thumb:

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I think the 5.4 swap would be awesome if you have the cash and time to do it. However on a logical scale it would be much more simple to do a 4 valve 4.6 swap, not to mention the financial stand point. But having a 331 under the hood would be sweet.

So is the CUBIC INCH of these motors 330 or 331? just wondering?

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
well if you have a 5.4... or can get one very cheap...

then it ain't a bad idea.... it will take alot of fabricating...
like mentioned before... the 330 is a truck motor... Its makes Low End power... it doesn't like to rev high... so you may wanna tear it apart and build it so it performs more like a mustang motor and less like a truck motor...

I know theres a guy @ Mustang Boards that has done a 5.4 3V swap... he's happy...

Yea thats where everyone has talked about the 2v swap too. I'm almost done with a 83 page tread on the subject that has like a couple thosand post lol.

4point6GT

Reaction score
so there is a 5.4 2v n 3v ? so what cars they from ? I dont kno nothing bout them so just wonderin.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
so there is a 5.4 2v n 3v ? so what cars they from ? I dont kno nothing bout them so just wonderin.

5.4 2v's came in 97 up to 2003 i think in trucks, vans, and some suv's
3v's started the same time but in 2003 they took over and the 2v went out. and they came in the same things i think.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
so 4point6gt you like the powerheads too? isn't that the same ones dal uses?

4point6GT

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
so 4point6gt you like the powerheads too? isn't that the same ones dal uses?

yes I do :behind:....yea Dal told me bout them, I checked them out and since Im going the PI swap route im going with them :).
So have you found your 5.4 engine ?

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yep got it out a totaled truck in a junk yard up the road for about 150. I'm going to rebuild it though, but i have some high comp cobra pistons at the house that i'm thinking of using on it to get a high cr. lol should be nice.

4point6GT

Reaction score
good start man...hey what yr is ur car 97 ? is it a cobra or you just got a cobra bumper on it ? Sweet STANG tho! Im so happy ive finally started moddin mine.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
its a 98 gt vert. When my brother originaly bought the car he drove it a week and hit a deer so he got the cobra body kit from ford and got the frpp 95 cobra r's and put them on and a cobra r hood and steed wing. I changed the hood after the other flew up and broke. i also hit something on the front so i lost the fog lights so....go figure. Thanks man

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Snakebit said:

uhhhh i think they are 330's but im so use to the 331 stroker mustang thing I said 331 :D

here is a good info sheet on the 5.4's http://www.fordf150.net/specs/engines.php

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
pretty neat thanks. I think the 2001 4.6 is a little off, they say that the 4.6 and 5.4 have the same power lol.

G

GREG@SN95

voidfinger said:
Snakebit said:

the 5.4 = 330

a bored and stroked 4.6 = 331

Adam

Reaction score
I won't talk you out of it...if you want a 5.4, I know where there is a 2005 5.4 3V for about $1700+ shipping. It has 800 miles on it.

ripper

Reaction score
I read half this thread soooo.......... With a 3v you gotta do alot of head work to get power from it dont you? I mean you still only got 1 intake valve and 2 exhaust valves right? Its the same restriction as a 2v intake on a pi motor.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Adam said:
I won't talk you out of it...if you want a 5.4, I know where there is a 2005 5.4 3V for about $1700+ shipping. It has 800 miles on it.

Yea man, i'm not saying that the 3v wouldn't be the better option if i was in search of power, since the 3v is rediculously fast and all. But i just like the 5.4 2v since its stealthy and it has good low end torque and can exept all the 4.6 stuff and its just a strait forward swap. If i was you, i would go with that 3v b/c it seems to be a killer deal. Just watch out for the :police: