5.4 2 Valve Swap:
P&P heads with bigger valves.
Comp 274H's
PI Intake, with Reichard Racing Intake adapter
T45 Swap
4.10's
150 shot of nitros.

What do you all think about this combo?
What kinda power and torque do you think it would make?
Maybe i might fab up a custom turbo kit for it too. :)

Adam

Reaction score
You better slow down there speed racer. Swapping that 5.4 in would suck. Goodbye to power brakes/steering. It would be cheaper to put a full 4.6 PI motor in.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I heard 5.4 2v are the same as 4.6 2vs basically :dunno:

Adam

Reaction score
They share heads and bore dimensions. The width of the 5.4 interferes with the brake booster. You have to fabricate exhaust manifold down pipes, coolant hoses and then what are you gonna use for a manifold? The 5.4 truck intakes suck, the 4.6 won't fit without custom machined adapters $$$$$ Its not as easy as you think. ;) Nor is it worth it IMO unless you have a 5.4 laying around and have some serious time on your hands.

4point6GT

Reaction score
Fets said:
I heard 5.4 2v are the same as 4.6 2vs basically :dunno:
you heard wrong buddy, I think :p
Adam said:
You better slow down there speed racer. Swapping that 5.4 in would suck. Goodbye to power brakes/steering. It would be cheaper to put a full 4.6 PI motor in.

haha :rollinglaugh: " speed racer "

Adam

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be condescending but I am writing up for him how to install his PI cam and now he is onto a 5.4 swap??? :comando:

4point6GT

Reaction score
Adam said:
I wasn't trying to be condescending but I am writing up for him how to install his PI cam and now he is onto a 5.4 swap??? :comando:

lmao... :rollinglaugh: better tell him to stick with the PI plan >:D

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Adam said:
They share heads and bore dimensions. The width of the 5.4 interferes with the brake booster. You have to fabricate exhaust manifold down pipes, coolant hoses and then what are you gonna use for a manifold? The 5.4 truck intakes suck, the 4.6 won't fit without custom machined adapters $$$$$ Its not as easy as you think. ;) Nor is it worth it IMO unless you have a 5.4 laying around and have some serious time on your hands.

Yep well, i've seen where you can get the adapters from Reichard racing for a little cheeze and it will mate up the pi intake to the heads......why would it interfear with the brake booster? its a good 3 1/2 to 4 inches away from mine right now. i have the same style the cobras had on them i think. i do know i would run into some trouble getting the headers to bold but i think my exaust guy could handle it. I've just seen it done on a guys car and it looked stock but it ran way harder than any 4.6 i've been in. I really don't think its that bad of a swap.....just my .02

Adam

Reaction score
In the end you would have a nose heavy car with lots of torque that falls on its face by 5000rpm. I think its an idea, but for the same or less money, you could swap in a nice PI 4.6 and whoop a 5.4 equipped car. I raced with a guy in the NMRA who has a 96 with a 5.4in it thats a race car only(spool, tubbed), I am not sure on the weight, but on spray(not some crappy kit, a Nozzle set up) I have never seen it run faster that a 12.40, this is a 5.4 in it!! My old terd ran 12.60's with 130,000 miles. Now his car may well run faster than that, but its not setting any land speed records.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
well i don't know but i think that it wouldn't be that bad with the pi intake , comp cams and some ported heads. it will make a good amount of power up to 6k and yea its about 100 pounds heavier on the front but swap the battery to back and install tubular k member and your good to go. i guess

4point6GT

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
well i don't know but i think that it wouldn't be that bad with the pi intake , comp cams and some ported heads. it will make a good amount of power up to 6k and yea its about 100 pounds heavier on the front but swap the battery to back and install tubular k member and your good to go. i guess

no one is here to discourage you....do what you want, just hear our advice. trust me ive thought bout yankin the engine n stickin something else in over n over cause I too want POWER and want it FAST until finally realizing I got a great stock engine and why not have fun learnin and makin great power cause u really can, so for now im doin the PI swap, with ported heads n all that good stuff. just thought id let you know that in whatever u do just have fun and dont let anyone tell u, this aint gonna work or something......not that anyone has. ppl here have HELPED ME ALOTTTTT!!!!!!!! and I APPRECIATE it. O0

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea i know what you mean man, almost everyone tells me i stupid for wanting to do this but i look at it like this. Yes the 5.4 is heavier, doesn't rev as high, and the heads don't flow as good. but when you put the 4.6 stuff on it , it still makes more hp and way way way more torque at a slightly lower rpm than the 4.6 :dancing6: So me being a guy that hates when guys blow by me, i want my vert to get up and roll a little faster and i hate the idea of haveing a 281 cubic inch motor. Don't get me wrong i think they are great but i don't understand why they "Ford" went lower in cubic inches when they changed mustangs....... I think that with some stage 3 heads, some custom cams, adapters and a s trim this motor would fly. thats Just MHO. I also apriciate all the help people have been giving me. It has helped alot in my dream, i just don't like it when people say that i'm not smart for wanting what i want ya know. but enough of my :blah2:

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
no one is here to discourage you....do what you want, just hear our advice. trust me ive thought bout yankin the engine n stickin something else in over n over cause I too want POWER and want it FAST until finally realizing I got a great stock engine and why not have fun learnin and makin great power cause u really can, so for now im doin the PI swap, with ported heads n all that good stuff. just thought id let you know that in whatever u do just have fun and dont let anyone tell u, this aint gonna work or something......not that anyone has. ppl here have HELPED ME ALOTTTTT!!!!!!!! and I APPRECIATE it. O0

Thanks man, it means alot to hear it.

4point6GT

Reaction score
no problem bro, we all here to learn. some more than others...especially me.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea i grew up around five.o's all my life and i can tell you a lot about mustangs but these 4.6's are so different.............i ask my brother and he is like :dunno: and he is like a guru or something lol. but ya we are here to learn and try to reach our performance goals. its just some people thing their goal is right and others should do their goal. yea know what i mean . :ass3:

Adam

Reaction score
For me personally one of the greatest satisfactions of these cars is that they are only 281ci I have seen these 2Vs make over 600rwhp, 4V make over 700rwhp, 3Vs make over 700rwhp....with 281ci, thats amazing.

Adam

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea true, but they are far far far from stock ya know. don't get me wrong when a 96 cobra made over 1 hp per CI i have to give it up for the motor. Think if we had that same thing but with say a 351 cubic inch motor though...... ya get my drift. These are amazing motors, but in my honest and humble opinion they need more cubic inches. But ya know what they say about opinions......Plus i just want to be different, and sneeky lol. You wouldn't exspect a 98 vert to pull past ya but with that extra what...... 330-281=49......49 extra cubic inches it would help out my big old boat of a car. Plus since its an auto and shifts at 5500 anyway, why not. plus i could do the swap for what a pi upgrade would cost. minus the tuning. :)

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
ok what am i suppose to be looking for on dss? just wondering if this is another flam or something?

4point6GT

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
ok what am i suppose to be looking for on dss? just wondering if this is another flam or something?

dss racing, after im done playin with this engine its where I plan on gettin my modular shortblock from :) either that or just gettin a complete engine ( 4.6 modular of course, probably a 4v ) with everythin needed to stick in my car O0 .....they also have ported cylinder heads but since I need the whole PI swap im going with POWERHEADS :)....its cool that u can have ur engine on layaway and as soon as u payed halfway they start buildin it for you. I think its great ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online