prothane trans mount =s vibrarion

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
so I just installed a new prothane trans mount, old one mount was soft like a titty had play in it and when shifting the shifter would move. now there is no play at all but getting decent vibrations through gears . any advice would be great. motor mounts are new oem quality. is there a wrong way to install this dang thing?
410d19c3dc81b0361b7d15c33ac9e381.jpg
1aea5c818a2d7867d3209fcb1109a175.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fighting the same thing. Look at the last page of my "It never ends" thread, the dyno pull vid shows a 2" kevlar web belt running from the driver fender to the driver side head on top of the engine. Look at the vid, no engine shake. I had solid engine mounts and the same tranny mount. The new ridgid engine set up was too stiff, I had too go back to stock rubber and the torque strap and now it is perfect.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I have been fighting the same thing. Look at the last page of my "It never ends" thread, the dyno pull vid shows a 2" kevlar web belt running from the driver fender to the driver side head on top of the engine. Look at the vid, no engine shake. I had solid engine mounts and the same tranny mount. The new ridgid engine set up was too stiff, I had too go back to stock rubber and the torque strap and now it is perfect.
motor mounts are new oem parts. basically I wasted my money on the prothane mount? cause no issues with vibration before today. it would move on bumps felt while shifting. but no vibrations.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personal preference my friend. Some prefer smooth and factory feeling while others(such as myself) want to feel every lil thing possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
what if i take some sort of flat chunk of rubber and place it on the mount where it connects to the trans and the crossmemeber?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Personal preference my friend. Some prefer smooth and factory feeling while others(such as myself) want to feel every lil thing possible.

^ this

I want an earthquake car! I essentially love driving next to a wall with my open exhaust! Oh how i love it!!!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Back out ALL the nuts and bolts, 22mm engine mounts and rear trans mount and start the car. You need to get everything to adjust and settle together and unbind. Then start at the back and work forward tightening back up gently to spec.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I went with prothane motor mounts and stock tranny mount. got some addtl vibration from the motor mounts but not bad. was told to stay away from the urethane for the tranny for the reason you described. it's all in what you like.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In the first picture it is showing misalignment on the mount to the cross member. Did you remember to reuse the stainless steel .010 thick shims on the engine mounts??? You must to get the left/right cant of the engine correct to the rear trans mount. Something is wrong...

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
In the first picture it is showing misalignment on the mount to the cross member. Did you remember to reuse the stainless steel .010 thick shims on the engine mounts??? You must to get the left/right cant of the engine correct to the rear trans mount. Something is wrong...
shop did motor mounts , and the first pic if ya zoom in the angle looks off but the bracket and mount are flush.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Go look at the front bolts sitting in the big slots and make sure they are in the same position on each side , they must be perfect.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I think OLD H2S is on the right track. I have Prothane motor and trans mounts in the Cobra and had the same setup in my GT with no issues. Probably a good idea to loosen all 4 mount bolts and make sure it's all settled.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I think OLD H2S is on the right track. I have Prothane motor and trans mounts in the Cobra and had the same setup in my GT with no issues. Probably a good idea to loosen all 4 mount bolts and make sure it's all settled.
so with no lift , can i just raise the front or should I raise the hole car again?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Best to do it on a lift. If you only jack up part of the car then your twisting it. This causes things to be in a bind already. You want it sitting as natural as possible when you break it all loose and retighten so that it all frees up and settles correctly.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Best to do it on a lift. If you only jack up part of the car then your twisting it. This causes things to be in a bind already. You want it sitting as natural as possible when you break it all loose and retighten so that it all frees up and settles correctly.

crap no lift here, only jack stands

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You can jack stand the axle and front A-arms. Just dont jack stand the frame or body

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online