PS Long tube headers

gt_lando95

Reaction score
I picked up a 94 as a dd while my 95 is in the paint shop I'm trying to give it a little kick on torque so I decided to do a full exhaust upgrade, as I was scrolling through the long tubes I came across some pacesetter brand LT specifically for 94-95 for a decent price, has anyone ever bought them or currently have them?? I'm wondering how they compare to the bbk brand?

RICE ETR

Reaction score
From what i've read they are good headers for the price. They're one of the only ones that fit auto's as well (Mac's fit too).

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I have the PaceSetters on my green 95 GT 5spd.... Headers fit fine, don't use the gaskets that come with em. The x pipe kit they sell is a joke.... Doesn't fit for shit. You'd be better off having a performance exhaust shop build one. I noticed it made my stock catback sound good, and the torque did get a nice boost. I got rid of the cats btw... And ended up chippin the car (moates QH) to adjust the af ratios a touch. It was ok without, awesome with the chip. Don't really need it,(the tune) just makes it better.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Skip pacesetter buy MAC. I have MAC's chrome 1-5/8" Longtubes on my 95 GT. Put them on when it was automatic a yeat ago, tight fit but they fit! Its stick shift now and theres even more room now. Please WRAP YOUR STARTER WITH starter heat wrap when you do the headers! all the heat from the LT's will cook your starter if you don't wrap it

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Skip pacesetter buy MAC. I have MAC's chrome 1-5/8" Longtubes on my 95 GT. Put them on when it was automatic a yeat ago, tight fit but they fit! Its stick shift now and theres even more room now. Please WRAP YOUR STARTER WITH starter heat wrap when you do the headers! all the heat from the LT's will cook your starter if you don't wrap it

That's why you pony up and run ceramic coated headers....

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I had pacesetters, they black coating is shit. I used VHT extreme heat paint or somthing like that and it worked great.

The black shit on the pacesetters when you get them is not a coating. It's just to protect them from rust after they produce them.The fitment and quality was great. So if your cool with coating them or painting them with header paint.They are great for guys on a budget that can't fork out the $600+ already coated high end headers.

-330CubeGt

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this thread, don't want to start a new one for a simple answer. Are LT's really worth it? are the gains justified for the pita of an install, i've got mac shorties on my car which were on their when I bought it and have wondered if LT's would be a viable upgrade.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack this thread, don't want to start a new one for a simple answer. Are LT's really worth it? are the gains justified for the pita of an install, i've got mac shorties on my car which were on their when I bought it and have wondered if LT's would be a viable upgrade.

I'll make it simple for ya, like in my own views. if you're doing HCI, yes go for longtubes you'll benefit far more because theres a lot less restriction and yadda yadda. Not touching the motor as far as HCI like me? don't bother with longtubes. I did em because I wanted the extra noise, and believe me they rumble with my o/r X and mac mufflers. But they make everything hot, make the exhaust sit a bit lower. Do I regret them? Not really because they were just $300 headers and it sounds amazing. Low end torque increased and so did the top end overall

mikey94gt

Reaction score
It's also been proven that shorty headers don't help much, if any, where a correct LT header tuned for length and flow (something that's hard to do in a shorty) bumps power roughly 15% at the minimum.

Im I'm not saying shorties are a waste.... But I wouldn't buy em.

You guys are correct btw, the pacesetters are great for a budget.... And the coating really does suck. Mine are bare now.... Not that I really care. I'll put some aerosol galvanizing stuff on there from the welding shop next time they are out.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
It's also been proven that shorty headers don't help much, if any, where a correct LT header tuned for length and flow (something that's hard to do in a shorty) bumps power roughly 15% at the minimum
15% bump in HP? Where are you finding this information from?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
15% bump in HP? Where are you finding this information from?

Going from stock to long tubes and off road x pipe you could possibly gain 15% remember these pieces of junk only had 200hp outta the box

mikey94gt

Reaction score
There's one article (old... Still valid) of roughly 3-4% difference at the tire thru an AOD... Plus the LT design made the power band wider than the shorties. Both of these links show an aftermarket shortie setup vs LT

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/29618-short-long-tube-headers-test/

This is article also shows a 3-4% gain in power overall, and a wider powerband. I stand corrected.... I've got so many numbers bouncin around in my noggin from school it's hard to keep em straight.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1406-long-tube-vs-shorty-headers-pipe-dreams/

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Recommending stock headers??? Lol no. 1 and 1/2 vs 1 and 5/8 and the stockers are crimped too for the header bolts install at the factory. They are pure and total shit headers. MAC longtubes fit great and can be installed with the engine in the car no problem. They also tuck up to the floorboards nice and tight for good ground clearance. If going shorties, try to find a set of out of production 94/95 FRPP headers. I once had a set I got new. They were stainless/ceramic and 7 years later they still looked new.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Going from stock to long tubes and off road x pipe you could possibly gain 15% remember these pieces of junk only had 200hp outta the box
The point of my question was most header comparisons are usually between aftermarket shorty and long tube headers. Now is it possible someone can gain 15% by adding an aftermarket long tube header and mid-pipe over a STOCK shorty header and mid-pipe? Sure anything is possible but it's not the norm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online