Pulled Codes. Could Use Some Diection

Vettn71

Reaction score
I ran the KOEO/KOEO and cylinder balance tests using the jumper. The good news is my CEL flashed the codes. The bad news is I've got a number of codes. I installed a 4R70W transmission recently. Up until that point the car ran great and was not setting any CELs. After install the car acts like it has a miss, especially at lower rpms. It kind of "chugs".

The KOEO codes I pulled were

111 System pass

172 right o2sensor lean
176 left o2 sensor lean
181 right side o2 sensor rich
189 left side o2 sensor lean
332 EGR not opening
628 converter lockup failure

The KOEO codes were
536 Brake on/off failure
632 OD cancel not detected

im not certain I understand how the o2 sensors could read rich and lean. The EGR I can look into. What are my options on the trans codes. I know a tune will correct the ratio error, but it has all the original solenoids and MLPS. I didn't think I would have any problems with the tq lockup

TIA

Jim

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Chugs as in you try to accelerate and it doesn't want to move? 5.0 or 4.6 ? I had a problem like that with my 5.0, would go to acclerate and it just wouldn't move, poor acceleration. Check your fuel injectors for leaking o-rings. Not too sure, but I don't think a 4R70W has the same setup as an AODE, as in shift points, gearing etc.. so that might be some of your problem but i could be wrong

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Chugs as in a weak miss. Acceleration is none too great, but not like a injector issue. I'll replace the plug wires in a couple days. I did replace the plugs, then put the old ones back in. No difference. I could have a bad plug wire. It's hard to say how old they are. That could explain the o2codes, maybe. BTW, I should mention this is a 5.0.

The trans issue with the ratio mismatch I understand. I will need a tune to cure that, but it only shows up at WOT. Otherwise it shifts fine. It's the TQ issue I don't get. All the solenoids are new. The MLPS is off my AODE. Everything should be okay, but it's not.

jim

toyman

Reaction score
The trans issue with the ratio mismatch I understand. I will need a tune to cure that, but it only shows up at WOT. Otherwise it shifts fine. It's the TQ issue I don't get. All the solenoids are new. The MLPS is off my AODE. Everything should be okay, but it's not.

The 4R70W shouldn't give you any significant issue. At worse, the shift point in mph is a little lower on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. At WOT you shouldn't notice anything so I'm wondering what it is that you experience. You definitely don't need a tune for the 4R70W.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
The QUICk 1 Bauhman Electronics Transmission Controller works wonders on the 4r70w if you've got 800 bucks , they supply a brand new harness and TPS as well and tuning software . I have one in my car and It's awesome . Just an idea the 4r70w is just a new model of the old school C4 and they make if electronic .

Good luck man . God Bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
any time i got the o2 rich and lean codes was due to a dirty MAF.
CAI's with a k/n type filter (oiled) have a tendancy to deposit the oil on the MAF.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. The Baumann is nice, but pricy. It may be on my to-do list for some time. I'm still struggling to get it to run as good after I put the trans in as before. It's supposed to have a TransGo shift kit in it, but I'm not feeling the difference. I'm running a 2.73:1 ration for the rear, so maybe that's part of my issues. I'd like to get 3.40's, but that may be on the list for while, too. I've got new plug wires ordered, since no one stocks anything for a 95 anymore. Everything is special order. I did also order a new TCC solenoid. That putting new wires in and cleaning the EGR are the weekend projects. I might get time to pull the MAF and clean it, also. Maybe I can get this turkey to function again. My wife is losing patience

Jim

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
2.73s are garbage.. I had them in my 95, 5.0 aode.. Had 4.10s swapped in, and the car feels like an animal now. Car shifts a little firmer too.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I apologize I didn't read much of the posts but I seen where someone mentioned an "oiled k&n filter " causing codes or malfunction. This is very true you MUST! Let the filter dry before reinstalling it if you oiled an reusable one.

The 2.73 gear is more than likely a lot of your problems for the seat of the pants feel . Get some 4:11 or 3:73 gears and you will be rather pleased and it's a simple and rather cheap performance modification that you can actually feel and appreciate time and time again .

Hope this helps God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online