Pulling oil pan...Suggestions???

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
I need to remove my oil pan, replace my oil pickup tube and gasket. I have heard three different ways to approach this task.

1. Remove K member. This seems like an effective yet time consuming way of doing it. Its mainly time consuming because I dont have air tools where I can do the work.
2. Un Bolt engine mounts (from K member) Raise the Engine w/engine hoist. A quicker way to do it. I am curious if it even lifts it high enough for the pan to clear the K member.
3. Un bolt one motor mount; raise with engine hoist. It seems like its the most simple way to go about it. This way raises some questions. Such as which side(s) to unbolt/lift? Without removing intake, whats the recommended place to lift from.

4. Any suggestions????

Thanks for reading/replying

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I swapped my K for the first time a few months ago. I used an engine support bar and slid it right out. Not sure how supporting the motor, removing the bolts and sliding it out is more work then supporting the motor, removing the bolts, raising the motor and THEN trying to get the job done in the space provided.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have a modular car because you are in the 2v section. Since that's the case you really only have 2 options. 1: pull the engine. 2: drop the k member. I tried lifting my engine with a hoist and it wasn't enough to get the pan out. If you hoist the engine and loosen the k member, don't remove just loosen and let it come down a little bit, you should be able to get the pan out.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
sell ya my support bar if your close. I am in southern indiana

I wish! I live in California! I may look into something before I decide to pull the pan. I am still thinking My oil is being thinned out by the gas that went into the crankcase. I flushed it out with some cheap 5/30 w/ a few ounces of seafoam and then flushed it out again with some 5/30 with a quart of Lucas oil.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hopefully you've saved the engine! The 4.6l holds around 2quarts within the engine. You should be fine. Run it a good 100 or 200 miles. Change it again.

Oh....what these guys said ^

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online