Pushrod Question

Bub

Reaction score
I'm helping out a friend install some heads (GT40) and when I dropped in the push rods (stock length 5/16" diameter) it just seemed like quite a bit of play then I remember when I did mine, even with the rocker arm tightened down I can still turn the rocker with minimal effort and make the push rod touch the sides of the guide plate. Am I just being over paranoid?? I'm wondering if since it's a 3/8" stud if the heads don't have 3/8" guide plates and require 3/8" push rods. Which I thought was more of a big block thing?? I'm not sure, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

95opal

Reaction score
If you cant get the correct torque on the rockers you may need shims.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
the push rod literally can move from side to side and touch both sides of the guide plates, I've installed the rockers 1/2 turn past 0 lash.

BigTang

Reaction score
If the gt40 heads have been remachined to run a guide plate and stud mount rockers you need a longer pushrod, not a thicker one. And as far as torquing them down that is no longer valid because they aren't pedestal mount so there is nothing to torque against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTang

Reaction score
And what's the point of the video? To show they don't bind up against the plate? Make sure you run a hardened pushrod with those plates.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
If the gt40 heads have been remachined to run a guide plate and stud mount rockers you need a longer pushrod, not a thicker one. And as far as torquing them down that is no longer valid because they aren't pedestal mount so there is nothing to torque against.

I will measure again but it looked good when I used the adjusting pushrod.

Point of the video is to show the excessive play between the 3/8" guide plate and 5/16" pushrod

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online