Put on some control arms today.

Passenger

Reaction score
So I've been up since sometime yesterday. Rode around all night following some friends on their bikes in my Sentra. Decided I needed to get my UPR upper and lower control arms on before the track opens next week, and I was in the mood to finally do it. So I went and got my friend Austin for comic relief, and my buddy Justin to assist me. Started around 8:30, and I think I msg'ed KornNut around 3:30 when I finally came inside.

We took a break from about 10:45-12:30 btw. lol

This pic doesn't really do justice, but the car was lifted tremendously high.
CA1.jpg

New upper control arm on
ca2.jpg

New lower on
lca.jpg

(repeat on other side)

And finally back on the ground, safe, sound, and most importantly, all in one piece! WOOHOO!
safeandsound.jpg

Heres the old stock uppers and D&D lowers.
dieeee.jpg

And while I had the wheels off the car, I think I realized why my right rear keeps losing air.
tire.jpg

I didn't drive it much after I got them on, seeing as the car is on E and I'm broke as a joke. But what little I did drive it, it feels as if the rear end is more precise, and goes corners a little better. It doesn't pop when I have to slow down hard, or pulling out. I done a 2300rpm launch on those bald ass Kumho's, felt a little better there too. Can't wait till the track opens on Tuesday :)

OP
OP
P

Passenger

Reaction score
We have laws against basically nothing here in Tennessee. Also, in the first pic you can see why I only post pics of my passenger side. hehe.

brwillms

Reaction score
Mississippi was the same way. I used to put my own inspection sticker on my car and there was no inspection. Pay the $5 and get your sticker.

Suspect

Reaction score
cool! O0

how bad were the uppers? ive done the lowers (ez). but i have some frpp uppers and new bushings i wanna put in. im borrowing the mm tool for the bushing and wanna knock this out asap.

OP
OP
P

Passenger

Reaction score
Why keep stock uppers DFG? :dunno:

Suspect, it took 10-15 minutes to do both uppers. Thats loosening the first bolt and tightening the last one. Uppers = easy.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
uppers just cause more binding and such..dalamar can give you a better exlanation than i can, but it is better to keep the stockers or get the ones from FRPP.

Suspect

Reaction score
they just say how the rubber bushings should be used (for the uppers) instead of urethane. check the MM site to read why.

TheBab

Reaction score
Sometimes when I downshift..... I hear a LOUD clunk... I dont know what it is... but I got stock upper control arms.... but boxed lowers.... could buying some MM uppers fix that?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
SRT Handz said:
UPR Arms are BS...MM or Nothing :boink:

Way to provide basis for your unhelpful comment!

...i think there are enough MM rocks threads on here to proove my point ;D

brwillms

Reaction score
MM puts a ton of engineering into their components. They are very detailed. Most of the parts (UCAs and LCAs) you'll see copy their design without the engineering. These other companys are known to provide inferior components. G****telli comes to mind. The lowers have been known to break. Some of the concerns I've heard with other companys are poor weld quality, poor load bearing design, poor materials... Anything keeping my large ass firmly planted to the road is not an area where I would go with a bargain component.

OP
OP
P

Passenger

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
uppers just cause more binding and such..dalamar can give you a better exlanation than i can, but it is better to keep the stockers or get the ones from FRPP.

I see. Theres no way in hell I was keeping the stock uppers though. If I can remember, I'll take pics of the bushings in them, they're blown out. Made god awful noises.

1Fast92FiveOh

Reaction score
If you look on Maximum Motorsports website, you'll notice they don't sell any uppers other than FRPP Uppers

From MM website:

Ford Rear Upper Control Arms, includes chassis side bushing only, 1979-04

These Ford rear upper control arms are direct replacements for the 1979-2004 Mustang (non-IRS) control arms. They will restore performance lost to old and deteriorating rubber bushings. These control arms have the stiffest rubber bushings available, and are much stiffer than what came originally on the Fox chassis Mustangs. Although Ford Racing Performance Parts claims their bushings to be "twice as stiff" as stock, our testing has shown that while they are much stiffer than Fox chassis bushings, they are identical to the 1994-04 bushings.

We performed extensive testing of rear upper control arm bushing materials during the development of our Panhard Bar. When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms. This is especially important when adding a Panhard Bar. The compliance of a rubber-bushed upper control arm is required when a Panhard bar is added to the Mustang four-link suspension.

When installed on a 1979-93 Mustang, these control arms with their stiffer bushings help limit axle wind-up and side-to-side motion, but will not damage your Mustang's upper torque boxes as a standard urethane-bushed upper control arm would. See our extended technical information about bushing material choices in our Rear Lower Control Arm section.

While for 1994-04 cars these control arms offer no improvement in performance as they do on Fox chassis cars, they are a great replacement for arms with damaged or aged bushings. Because rubber deteriorates simply from age, after several years the control arms are ready for replacement. High horsepower cars and those used for track events tend to damage bushings before they can degrade from age. These replacement control arms, along with the axle end bushings, are a great way to bring back or upgrade the performance of your Mustang.

ALITL8

Reaction score
cant wait to get my Lakewood Traction Action Lift Bars (part #LAK21900) installed. im keeping stock uppers but i have an extra set if my bushings are crapped out in the ones on the car.

let us know how you like or dislike the UPRs O0

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
panhard bar from MM = hard on :hitit: thing is suppose to change the whole rear suspension feel and what not.. ive heard it does, plenty o times

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online