"Putting $8000 into your GT isn't worth it" Uhhh What?

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Dang, the modular performance parts are high. I just looked on American muscle and the entry level Vortech kit is almost $4,300, over half your budget. Give me the skinny on the series 2? I'm guessing it's a roots type since it requires a new manifold? What psi is it rated? And sheesh, $1,700 for an intake manifold!? That's just ludicrous. I'm assuming that since you're looking for a $2k supercharger that you're shopping used? What if you never find the holy grail? Then you're stuck with a 200 hp car with a wing.
What kind of shape is your bottom end in? Is it healthy enough to support boost?
Build it how ya like it. We'll never get our money back on these cars.
In closing, it's alright to add wings and body kits but don't put a big-azz sticker that says saleen on it.

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
I've got some time before I'll be ready to purchase the Series II kit so I'm sure I'll come across one between now and then, generally the kit will come with everything you'll need minus the tune, that you'll have to get done yourself but the injectors, intake manifold, heat exchanger, blower, belt, everything will be included for $2000. I'll keep my eye out on the Saleen forums seeing how how those guys are always upgrading their supercharger

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
Sn95jones hang on to her the girlfriends i had didnt like my cars they always said it's to loud
Oh I am! Back when I had my 06 GT I had it straight pipe and she absolutely loved it, she would always love going for rides downtown making noise and loved going to the car shows.

5.0l cory

Reaction score
wish my wife was like that .my wife bought my 95 gt for our 10 yr now she don't like cause I put some money in to it I like to do more but my kids suck the money out of me before I can put gas in it

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wish my wife was like that .my wife bought my 95 gt for our 10 yr now she don't like cause I put some money in to it I like to do more but my kids suck the money out of me before I can put gas in it

That's my problem too!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
single........ With a dog......... My ***** doesn't care what I do or how I spend my money or even if I call her my *****. She is always happy to see me. In all seriousness of course I am joking. I see my friends and their kids and there are times when I am not sure if I did it right. Then I show their kids how to slam two redbulls and snort a pixie stick and I get to enjoy the show my friends put on cleaning up my mess.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
single........ With a dog......... My ***** doesn't care what I do or how I spend my money or even if I call her my *****. She is always happy to see me. In all seriousness of course I am joking. I see my friends and their kids and there are times when I am not sure if I did it right. Then I show their kids how to slam two redbulls and snort a pixie stick and I get to enjoy the show my friends put on cleaning up my mess.

You ain't right sometimes!!!!! Lmfao

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I've got some time before I'll be ready to purchase the Series II kit so I'm sure I'll come across one between now and then, generally the kit will come with everything you'll need minus the tune, that you'll have to get done yourself but the injectors, intake manifold, heat exchanger, blower, belt, everything will be included for $2000. I'll keep my eye out on the Saleen forums seeing how how those guys are always upgrading their supercharger

How much boost man? Are we talking about 300 rwhp or 400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
Personally, if I was going to go through that much trouble, I would have simply bought a V6 car, stripped it down to the body and built it from the ground up. Logically speaking, the further you move away from the GT foundation, the more sense it makes to start with the cheaper V6 foundation.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Personally, if I was going to go through that much trouble, I would have simply bought a V6 car, stripped it down to the body and built it from the ground up. Logically speaking, the further you move away from the GT foundation, the more sense it makes to start with the cheaper V6 foundation.
Meh I dunno about all of that. How much further from the gt foundation is he moving exactly? Wings, ground effects, badges, and a blower? I have no clue what sort of suspension setup the saleen has that he's trying to mimic (does it have irs or what?) If he's trying to mimic the car to a T, suspension and all, then that's sorta redic, especially since it'll only be making 305 hp. A set of non adjustable kyb shocks/struts with the run of the mill lowering springs in conjunction with a decent set of rear control arms will handled that amount of power. If he bought a clunker v6 he'd have to source out a motor, ecu, wiring harness, and every other fuel component necessary to make it work.
OP, stick to badges and wings and do the stereotypical suspension upgrades that a 300 rwhp gt requires.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
From someone who transformed their 1994 GT into a Fobra and then into a Faleen.

I love the look of a Saleen Mustangs, but I never could justify spending the money on a real Saleen and then modifying the crap out of it, didn't make sense to me. So I built my Faleen aka Carbon Copy for me and no one else. Personally, I don't care what anyone says about real ones, clones, fakes or tribute cars. Because I did what I wanted and I'm very happy driving my 21 year old car with 300k miles, 800+ RWHP, kick a$$ suspension, better braking than most, real looking but fake a$$ Saleen as much as possible. I hope you see where I'm going with this, YOUR MONEY, YOUR CAR, do whatever you like.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
From someone who transformed their 1994 GT into a Fobra and then into a Faleen.

I love the look of a Saleen Mustangs, but I never could justify spending the money on a real Saleen and then modifying the crap out of it, didn't make sense to me. So I built my Faleen aka Carbon Copy for me and no one else. Personally, I don't care what anyone says about real ones, clones, fakes or tribute cars. Because I did what I wanted and I'm very happy driving my 21 year old car with 300k miles, 800+ RWHP, kick a$$ suspension, better braking than most, real looking but fake a$$ Saleen as much as possible. I hope you see where I'm going with this, YOUR MONEY, YOUR CAR, do whatever you like.
Fair enough. Do you think he can stay within budget?
Just curious, is there 300k mi on your bottom end?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Ok so I have to admit that I actually just read the shopping list... I guess as long as you can find the blower at the right cost you could make the $8k budget.
But, what kind of shape is the rest of the car in? How many miles are on it? What about shocks/struts, do you already have new ones? Is you're front-end in good shape? Like it's not all loose and sloppy like it needs new inner and outer tierods and balljoints?
When one is working on a 20 yr old car wear items need to be figured into the budget too. What about your rear suspension? Do you already have aftermarket contol arms? If no, then when you add the 100 extra horses to the rear your azz is gong to be wagging all over the place. Is your clutch fairly new and in good shape? It's going to take a beating from the extra power as well. You really wouldn't need an aftermarket clutch, a fresh stock one will suffice as long as you don't beat on it on a daily basis.
What's your fuel situation? Did that $2k supercharger estimate include all of the upgraded fuel components to make it work? I don't remember but was a tune on that shopping list?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Fair enough. Do you think he can stay within budget?
As far as his budget, why should it matter to me or anyone else whether he can meet it or not. If I listened to people on forums as to what I should or should not do, I would never have the car I have today........PERIOD. All this, I'm just trying to help, doesn't help because people will give advice based on THEIR own preference and what they deem as nice. And I'm no different but I do catch myself from time to time and remind myself, it's their car and money and they should do whatever they like.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
As far as his budget, why should it matter to me or anyone else whether he can meet it or not. If I listened to people on forums as to what I should or should not do, I would never have the car I have today........PERIOD. All this, I'm just trying to help, doesn't help because people will give advice based on THEIR own preference and what they deem as nice. And I'm no different but I do catch myself from time to time and remind myself, it's their car and money and they should do whatever they like.
Easy there Mr. Plummer. Yes we get it to each is own as far as exterior appearance. As far as the budget thing goes.. Well let's not call it the "budget", since the sky might be the limit, but I think that his estimated $8k is not going to be enough. That is unless he already has agood solid platform to start with to add wings to. As well as the supporting cast to run his blower. I don't have a dog in this hunt so it doesn't matter to mewhether he has enough money to accomplish the job either. I was just trying to bring up the point that I think his $8k will be closer to $10k. Unless he wants a a good looking sloppy performing car he's gonna have to dig a tad bit deeper.
I'm not bashing, I'm just trying to give the guy a heads up so he knows what he's getting into.
Don't Sext and Drive.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Don't read too much into the one word that is all capitalized in that reply as I don't think he was trying to ruffle any feathers. I would love to see any project car that made the budget honestly. IMO if you do not build a cushion of %20 at least you can plan on being disappointed or short of your goal.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Don't read too much into the one word that is all capitalized in that reply as I don't think he was trying to ruffle any feathers. I would love to see any project car that made the budget honestly. IMO if you do not build a cushion of %20 at least you can plan on being disappointed or short of your goal.
The other day my old man and I were hanging out talking and we started trying to add up how much was spent on my/our (he started and I'm working on "finishing") little "budget build". We stopped before we got sick to our stomachs... It's nothing special and the tally got close to what the car cost new. But, the "big ticket" items were spaced a few years apart.
Its all in good fun though and at least now it's "new and improved".
"Love It Or List It?" I have no choice but to love it or I'd lose my azz off.
OP: If I had to chose between form or function due to financial reasons, I'm going with function every time. Dream cars are dream cars, but you could have one helluva GT that looks good, runs strong, and handles like a dream if you were to spend the $3k elsewhere instead of on the bodykit. Different strokes for different folks and different banks for different Frank's.
Build on my man, build on.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online