"Putting $8000 into your GT isn't worth it" Uhhh What?

sn95jones

Reaction score
Posted on my Facebook last night my list for Project Faleen and got some heat from a couple friends who apparently think it's a waste of time and money.

As some of y'all may have seen on the project's section I posted my Project with list of parts I have lined up for my build. After adding up everything last night I posted it on my Facebook and didn't take long before a couple friends thought it was absolutely stupid.

One person said "Why don't you just buy a real Saleen for the same price you paid for your car and the amount of money you are about to put into it?"
My response was simple, I want to build something that I look back and be proud of my dedication and effort I put into it. Reason why I picked Saleen was because it's always been my dream car, ever since I was a little kit the Saleen was always my favorite car. When I picked up my Sonic Blue GT I saw a perfect opportunity to make my dreams come true.

Next person said "Why would you even put $8000 into your GT just to make it a clone, I hate people who make clones"
My response to her was "There are thousands of clones out there you see, whether it be a Shelby Cobra kit car, Eleanor, Yenko, Termi. They are everywhere and this build is no different.

So that being said, do you guys think making a clone is a waste of time? Not that anyones opinion is going to change my mind because I'm going to do it either way because I want to live my dream.

Serious question here guys no BS.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Reason why I picked Saleen was because it's always been my dream car, ever since I was a little kit the Saleen was always my favorite car.

If that's true, why wouldn't you have just saved up and got a real Saleen? Its like saying "this is my Ferrari F40. It's not real... but it's my favorite car. But again, it's not real". Seems dumb to me. Also $8000 is alot and I don't see it being that low. After looking at your list I estimate at least $11K. There's always some things that are going to come up or be higher than you expected. Unfortunately, it's not usually the other way around. At first I was all for your plan but now hearing that your dream car is a Saleen, I would rather see you get the real deal. You'd be way happier in the long run. You should be glad your dream car is obtainable.

Side note: You getting rolls royce badges that cost $150? That seems absurd.

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
If that's true, why wouldn't you have just saved up and got a real Saleen? Its like saying "this is my Ferrari F40. It's not real... but it's my favorite car. But again, it's not real". Seems dumb to me. Also $8000 is alot and I don't see it being that low. After looking at your list I estimate at least $11K. There's always some things that are going to come up or be higher than you expected. Unfortunately, it's not usually the other way around. At first I was all for your plan but now hearing that your dream car is a Saleen, I would rather see you get the real deal. You'd be way happier in the long run. You should be glad your dream car is obtainable.

Side note: You getting rolls royce badges that cost $150? That seems absurd.
I mean I do see your point but at the same time I'm atleast building off of a Mustang not something like a Fiero chassis or some kit car lol.
and yeah I'd love to find me a Sonic Blue Saleen locally but there isn't and the two that are local are not the color I like.
I mean yeah I see their side of it but at the same time once I'd be done with the car it would be as close to a real saleen as you can get minus the Saleen VIN.
The badges are not going to be cheap, the Fender badges once I can find them will run me $50 and they will be hard to find, which mean someones asking price is probably going to be higher than $50.
2004_00039_13.jpg

The trunk 281 badge is $50
and the Speedster badge is $35 so it's pretty close to $150

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any car is a "waste of money". Worst investment that can possibly be made.

It does seem like a lot of effort and money to make something you can buy. Especially since it's your "dream car" you think you'd buy the real deal. I wouldn't build a clone personally. Either do it 100% your own way or buy 100% the real deal.

Also... is it just me or are you extremely indecisive when it comes to cars? 8k is a lot of money to drop on something you'll sell within a couple months...

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
Any car is a "waste of money". Worst investment that can possibly be made.

It does seem like a lot of effort and money to make something you can buy. Especially since it's your "dream car" you think you'd buy the real deal. I wouldn't build a clone personally. Either do it 100% your own way or buy 100% the real deal.

Also... is it just me or are you extremely indecisive when it comes to cars? 8k is a lot of money to drop on something you'll sell within a couple months...
Exactly, I didn't buy the car to invest into it expecting to make money out on the other end.

This project will be on going over the next year, not something that will happen over night or within the next month. I'll be acquiring the Saleen wheels first, then the body kit and paint next once that's done I'll lower the car do the brakes, then move to the interior. Once the interior work is done I'll move to the last part, the engine. Reason the engine will be last is so it gives me more than enough time to do my homework on how I'm going to go about the installation, tuning, and hunting down the Series II kit.

Alot has changed with me within the last couple years since I've had my 98 GT so the BS I use to throw around in the past isn't like what it use to be. This will definitely be a time consuming project.
I don't plan on letting this car go any time soon, it's my favorite color and generation of the sn95.

cameron57

Reaction score
Ya man if you can sell yours and buy the real deal that is the way to go. But if not thats a diffrent story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and delete your facebook page. You are intelligent enough to know cost difference in the 2. Its the project that inspires you. In other words, its your way of hot rodding a car you love and it will be built by the sweat of your hands.

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and delete your facebook page. You are intelligent enough to know cost difference in the 2. Its the project that inspires you. In other words, its your way of hot rodding a car you love and it will be built by the sweat of your hands.

Or I could just delete those 2 people :p

Exactly someone who see's where I'm coming from here!

cameron57

Reaction score
Its always easier to buy than build also you will have better resale.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Idiots like them is why I refuse to even have a Facebook page

Build what makes you happy.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

cameron57

Reaction score
My 95 gt is a cobra clone. And it doesnt bother me one but!

Sinned83

Reaction score
Build a clone if that's what you want. I personally don't like when people badge them and sticker them up. We have plenty of those here and every other forum. As far as your list it seems a little off and you are more than likely missing parts like cc plates and etc. Those things being said I'd tag along for your build to see the transformation. Good luck

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say do whatever makes you happy. Ive put way more than 8K into my GT over the years and I don't regret it one bit. I'm all about built not bought, and while you can argue the point that you can just buy a Saleen, I personally enjoy searching for parts and transforming the car myself...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
My friends told me I was an idiot for converting a 2wd truck to a lifted 4x4. I've also been told that putting time and money into my gt with a $1000 trade in value is a waste as well. For me, I enjoy the art of bringing reality to my vision (especially on a budget). Do what you enjoy and soak up the looks of disbelief when you create something of value to you, that others say is a waste or can't be done. All the people that said my 4x4 swap on my truck was stupid, were impressed that it actually worked; and all of my car buddies are respectful in the fact that my car has been brought back to life. You sir are the only person that needs to be satisfied with your build. I say good luck and keep all of us supporting you updated with the progress

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Or I could just delete those 2 people :p

Exactly someone who see's where I'm coming from here!

Or even better, you can just wipe your ass with what they think. You just happen to be one of the few guys who spent 8 grand on your car in one shot. I bet myself, along with most on here, have spent way more on our cars over a period of time.

bluex

Reaction score
I think what turns most people off is badging it up like a saleen when it isnt. You could still build it without the saleen badges an I bet no one would care as much.

Having said that I agree with everyone else, it's your car an your money do what makes you happy an to hell with what everyone thinks....

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest problem is why waste the money building something that can be bought? Sure having a project and putting some work in is rewarding but if you can just go buy the real deal, why bother? A real Saleen is way better use of the money, you'll be able to enjoy it in full Saleen garb from the beginning and the resale will actually exist. If you want a project, why not do something better? If you like the aesthetics, that's fine, but why limit yourself to a clone when you can be creative and make your own statement and probably end up with a better machine in the end?

Cpotts13

Reaction score
My biggest problem is why waste the money building something that can be bought? Sure having a project and putting some work in is rewarding but if you can just go buy the real deal, why bother? A real Saleen is way better use of the money, you'll be able to enjoy it in full Saleen garb from the beginning and the resale will actually exist. If you want a project, why not do something better? If you like the aesthetics, that's fine, but why limit yourself to a clone when you can be creative and make your own statement and probably end up with a better machine in the end?

This guy speaks the truth. And you are a quite indecisive person when it comes to cars, you have had a couple of stangs recently if i remember correctly? The one thing that turns me away from ANY car is the word "clone". I do like the saleen body kit (when done right). I think you should move forward with your project, DO NOT put any saleen badges on it, because it's only a GT. I would do the body kit last, do your suspension and engine work and wheels. Also I am with [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] on this one, it is going to cost you a heck of a lot more money then 8k. I can see at least 1k in unaccounted for suspension bits; propper shocks to match h&r ss & cc plates at the minimum but id consider lcas, and bumpsteer just to get everything "right".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online