putting a 351 in a 94 GT

monkeydude3

Reaction score
What all would this take? I did a search and didn't seem to find anything, maybe I was being to broad I'm not sure.

I have heard that the bellhousing has to change, what else? Can it remain fuel injected? What all has to change to do it?

I was talking to some ford guys I know and know where I can get a good price on a remanufactured 351W and I think that would be an awesome route to go. Just setup the motor real good and then do a swap.

Anyone have any good threads I can read, or just information they know ?

Thanks!

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
If it's just a reman 351, it's not worth it. Just put some go-fast parts on your 302.

The bell doesn't need to change. You've gotta switch distributors, oil pan, widen the fuel rails, lower intake manifold, etc. etc...

I've done it and it's not that bad, but it's not worth it unless you want to get some big cubic inches and make big power IMHO.

Paul.

Downshift

Reaction score
You would also need a new hood because the block is bigger so it wont fit under the stock hood.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
5.0wned said:
You would also need a new hood because the block is bigger so it wont fit under the stock hood.

That's not true. You can make it fit under a stock hood.

Downshift

Reaction score
Paul said:
5.0wned said:

That's not true. You can make it fit under a stock hood.

Well for the most part im sure. You have done it, I havn't so ill take your word for it. Just putting a 93 cobra intake on my car it barely clears. The tube on the throttle body has made a small dent in the liner. I guess if you went with different mounts and took the liner out it could make it.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
HP makes drop solid mounts that make mounting a big windsor under a stock hood easy. You can do it with normal mounts too, but it's not quite as easy.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Although there have been plenty of people that push them into the 750 rwhp horsepower range, I'm always conservative with what I build, so I will limit mine to about 600-650 rwhp to be safe. The main problem is the 3" main journals and the weight of the crankshaft. I have a (reasonably) lightweight rotating assembly for the cubic inches I have, which helps a little.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Sweet guys thanks, I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there... see if I can find a way to blow up the 5.0 first. Why pull out a perfectly good engine? No knocks, good compression, no oil consumption... gotta love it!

I'm debating though building up a 351 on a stand, and when the time comes just swap out...

Downshift

Reaction score
Paul said:
HP makes drop solid mounts that make mounting a big windsor under a stock hood easy. You can do it with normal mounts too, but it's not quite as easy.

Solid mounts as in stiff as a mofo or something else? If they are actually solid thats probably why most people just stick with getting a new hood haha. Did you stick with 351 ci or did you go higher?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Solid mounts as in SOLID.

Given the choice between $1000 for a new hood and paint, and a set of cheap motor mounts, the choice is simple.

My motor is 422 ci.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
Paul said:
Solid mounts as in SOLID.

Given the choice between $1000 for a new hood and paint, and a set of cheap motor mounts, the choice is simple.

My motor is 422 ci.

i want one

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
For $8K, you can have it, intake to pan. :)

Silver%20Car%20Motor2.jpg

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Yes, as long as it has an equivalent amount of real money with it. :)

black94331

Reaction score
O0 i like the looks of that. what did you do to all the barakets and nick nack stuff? oh and if you notice the 95 cobra r's had bigger hoods on them to clear the intake. right?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
black94331 said:
what did you do to all the barakets and nick nack stuff?

About a hundred hours of grinding, sanding, polishing, and chrome plating.

oh and if you notice the 95 cobra r's had bigger hoods on them to clear the intake. right?

I've noticed. You can still make a 351 fit under a stock hood. I've done it.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Paul said:

WOW that looks fricken awesome!!!

I still stand with the theory that Ford should have given the Mustang a 302 for the coupe, a 351 for the GT, and a built 351 for the cobra.

I mean the camaros had the 5.7... and most mustangs had 5.0 or less, and it's no wonder they are slower stock for stock. ::sigh::

But my God I'm sure that your car scoots pretty nicely

M

musclemustang94

monkeydude3 said:
Paul said:

WOW that looks fricken awesome!!!

I still stand with the theory that Ford should have given the Mustang a 302 for the coupe, a 351 for the GT, and a built 351 for the cobra.

I mean the camaros had the 5.7... and most mustangs had 5.0 or less, and it's no wonder they are slower stock for stock. ::sigh::

But my God I'm sure that your car scoots pretty nicely

Maybe an LS1, but not an LT1. I've beat many LT1's in my stock 5.0.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online