Putting a 5.0 in.

Kirko

Reaction score
Putting a 5.0 in my 94 5speed and taking out the v6. I do believe I will just need the engine and computer to do this right?

How much HP will a stock 5.0 give me?

Someone told me to put GT40 Heads and Cams to make it like the cobra is. How much HP after that like 60 more HP?

Then I am going to get a tune and a CAI and Filter. Put an 8.8 rear end in with new gears. Get rid of the crappy single exhaust I have on it now and get the standard duals that it should have.

After that what would be the next best thing to get a lot of HP out of the 5.0 other than Boost or a Blower? I was thinking maybe Headers would be the next step?

I want to make this car a beast so please input all thoughts I don't mind.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Well... I dont even know where to start.

For the actual install of the motor I cannot be much help however, I can give some suggestions on the engine. First of all is it just a stock 5.0 block or are you going to do something to the bottom end? A stud girdle prolly wont be a bad thing. Second in terms of power, what is it 180 HP stock? Not that much. Torque is High 200's ish. On the 5.0 the stock heads blow ass.... GT40 are still cast Iron so they kinda suck as well. Save your money and go for AFR or TrickFlow. I personally like Trickflow but thats me. The 5.0 is a single cam, not a DOHC. So it only needs a cam. Thats kinda up to the user since you have your engine out of the car.... The heads and intake combo can get you that 60+ HP your looking for but the other small bolt ons matter too. Exhaust, Intake, Headers, Pullies, Gears (although gears wont make bigger HP, stock gearing just sucks.)

You can also make this engine a stroker but thats a different ball game. The problem still lyes with the block however. Stock Block = 500 HP... and if you run that.. good luck!

CanaryGT

Reaction score
If you want to make it a beast.... Stroker with HCI and a Blower will do.....

tommybunz

Reaction score
i am the real deal at this i have done the swap already. i converted mine V6 to a 5.0 and now im going 5.8/351w. u will need the engine ecu and harness. But also u will need to run a wire from the ignition to the negative side of the starter because the gt's carry a xtra wire. everything else is good.

OP
OP
K

Kirko

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
If you want to make it a beast.... Stroker with HCI and a Blower will do.....

no clue what a stroker with HCI is. how to do it. could u fill me in on what it is what is does how to do it and why to do it.

OP
OP
K

Kirko

Reaction score
tommybunz said:
i am the real deal at this i have done the swap already. i converted mine V6 to a 5.0 and now im going 5.8/351w. u will need the engine ecu and harness. But also u will need to run a wire from the ignition to the negative side of the starter because the gt's carry a xtra wire. everything else is good.

yeah its not that hard of a swap thats why i wanna do it. and the 351 sucks too much gas so i didnt want to do that. i was going to do 5.4 but too much money and time to do it.

OP
OP
K

Kirko

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
Well... I dont even know where to start.

For the actual install of the motor I cannot be much help however, I can give some suggestions on the engine. First of all is it just a stock 5.0 block or are you going to do something to the bottom end? A stud girdle prolly wont be a bad thing. Second in terms of power, what is it 180 HP stock? Not that much. Torque is High 200's ish. On the 5.0 the stock heads blow ass.... GT40 are still cast Iron so they kinda suck as well. Save your money and go for AFR or TrickFlow. I personally like Trickflow but thats me. The 5.0 is a single cam, not a DOHC. So it only needs a cam. Thats kinda up to the user since you have your engine out of the car.... The heads and intake combo can get you that 60+ HP your looking for but the other small bolt ons matter too. Exhaust, Intake, Headers, Pullies, Gears (although gears wont make bigger HP, stock gearing just sucks.)

You can also make this engine a stroker but thats a different ball game. The problem still lyes with the block however. Stock Block = 500 HP... and if you run that.. good luck!

someone was telling me to get gt40X because its a better material i guess. or to get a trickflow. i want this engine to have atleast 300hp. i doubt ill get 500hp if i do happen to get a blower and make it to 500+hp what would i have to do. please dont tell me id need a new engine.?

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
You don't know what a stroker is? And your going to be switching motors? Oh dear. HCI Means Heads, cam and an intake. Honestly I know everyone has certain ties to there car. But it would be much cheaper to find a 94-95 gt with a 5.0 already in it and put a nice set of heads on that.

ripper

Reaction score
I could be wrong but i think theres alot more to pullin a v6 and stickin a v8 in other than a puter and a wire to the starter. What about the rear? Suspension? Is it all the same? I dont know im just askin. Not tryin to be a dick or nuthin i got some v6 buds that are lookin to do the same thing and just wanted some info. I thought the trani's were diff too.

94OJGT

Reaction score
the k-frame is the same i believe, but dont you need different upper n lower control arms?

OP
OP
K

Kirko

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
You don't know what a stroker is? And your going to be switching motors? Oh dear. HCI Means Heads, cam and an intake. Honestly I know everyone has certain ties to there car. But it would be much cheaper to find a 94-95 gt with a 5.0 already in it and put a nice set of heads on that.

yes i wanted to just get a new 94-95 gt but there are just about none around me for sale there is only a bunch of v6s. and im not about to buy a car off ebay or buy a car i can not see in person or test drive. also if i am not mistaken I am going to have to pull the engine to make it a stroker if i do so if I just get an engine and do everything while it is out of the car it will make it a lot easier. but i am going to go around and see if i can find a 94-95 gt at any car dealerships or car auctions before i buy an engine. i found online a 97 cobra for 8K. but its like 2hrs away from me. i sent the dealership an email so we will see. :D. bet ill still have to pay like 6-7K though. :(

waltnono

Reaction score
Stevo said:
I could be wrong but i think theres alot more to pullin a v6 and stickin a v8 in other than a puter and a wire to the starter. What about the rear? Suspension? Is it all the same? I dont know im just askin. Not tryin to be a dick or nuthin i got some v6 buds that are lookin to do the same thing and just wanted some info. I thought the trani's were diff too.

The auto trans are the same in 94 I believe the AOD cuz in 95 they went AODE but in any rate the both are the same for the V6 and V8. Not sure about the manuals.

tommybunz

Reaction score
NO guyus i did the swap this is how i know. I worked at advance auto so whenever i was at work i would compare part #'s and everything is the same believe it or not down to the fuel pump. Also the guy said that he was changing the rear section. If he wanted to though he could drive around with the 7.5 rear for a while but i wouldn't recommend snatching too many gears. thats what i did drove from NY to VA with the 7.5 and it lasted me 9 months before i snatch my last gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online