putting a PI motor in NPI stang

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Hey all I think my most affordable and reliable option now is to put a low milage used (Or possibly a good deal on a new long block) PI engine in my 97 GT. Looking to spend around 1200 or less... I've found a complete almost no miles engine is less than doing a headswap on my car.

I have rebuilt the trans, done many suspension repairs, put new tires and fresh rims on it, and the only weak link left is the engine which burns oil massively.

I know I have to add one hole to mount an ECT sensor, but other than that I believe the engines are essentially identical (in terms of installation)

I can't get the engine now as I'm ready to buy my beater, but I'll be getting the engine next summer. I had to laugh when I looked at ebay and saw a police interceptor engine with 9000 miles on it out of a WRECKED cop car... that would be ironic to drop that in my car

any input, please let me know, you guys are very helpful on this forum!

George

G

GREG@SN95

yah... they are basicly the same engine...

i'm not sure about the harness or computer... easy swap... go for it

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
all right. I figure it'll give me a 40 or so horse boost, 20 more lb/ft torque, and much more reliability. Surely to God a freshly rebuilt PI engine wont' smoke like a banshee

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
i'm not sure about the harness or computer... easy swap... go for it
as long as you use your stock coil packs and not the COPS from the PI engine you can just use the harness/comp already in the car with no modification.
Its basically a direct swap.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
for 1200 bucks your best bet would be to swap a used motor.
You should be able to find something good.
Good luck.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm seriously considering getting a complete new long block from ford. My price from there is 2500 for a PI motor out of a 99 GT. 3 year /36000 warranty as well.

My buddy just got a GM 350 long block for his suburban, and it's ready to go. I think for my needs this will be good. ONce I get my beater I'll just start a savings 'fund' and see what I get when I get it.

Once again thanks for your input.

Peace

G

GREG@SN95

monkeydude3 said:
thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm seriously considering getting a complete new long block from ford. My price from there is 2500 for a PI motor out of a 99 GT. 3 year /36000 warranty as well.

My buddy just got a GM 350 long block for his suburban, and it's ready to go. I think for my needs this will be good. ONce I get my beater I'll just start a savings 'fund' and see what I get when I get it.

Once again thanks for your input.

Peace

if i were you... i'd look into getting a 3 or 4 valve too

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
how much would have to change to run either of those... I'm looking for the simplest answer here... and again I probably won't be hardcore racing this car for a long time so I don't need massive horsepower. My plans after college include modding this car to high heaven, but that's when the $ will be there. I just need it to run reliably and not smoke worse than a fu**ing diesel.

And going PI, the extra 40 horses will be a bonus.

G

GREG@SN95

monkeydude3 said:
how much would have to change to run either of those... I'm looking for the simplest answer here... and again I probably won't be hardcore racing this car for a long time so I don't need massive horsepower. My plans after college include modding this car to high heaven, but that's when the $ will be there. I just need it to run reliably and not smoke worse than a fu**ing diesel.

And going PI, the extra 40 horses will be a bonus.

well mach1 engine, cobra engine and the 3valve GT engine will bolt right up... they are all the same block... just different heads, internals, and more power... which is fun to have...

all you should need to swap is computer and harness... not that big of a job... seak more professional help with exactly what ya'll need to do/ change...

shouldn't too much work...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You definalely want a used motor from a 99+ if you go that rought. alread has the PI stuff on it.

as for swapping to a different motor, new would be way out of your budget, different computer, sensors etc.
Swapping used if you can get the computer and all that, may be do-able. Just how much other "stuff" (which will
cost you money,) you'll need?? I cant say for sure.

Or you could get a forged shortblock - stronger if you wanna run more power / boost down the road.

Just giving you more food for thought! :)

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
right now I just want to get a new PI long block to hold me over for the next few years. I can put 9 psi or so of boost on it if the time comes. When I'm done with school I will go all out on the car

thanks for the other forum... I will join soon but for now it's time for bed!

Thanks!!!!!

Travisl1213

Reaction score
if he switchs to a 4v motor what else would he need beside the motor. would he need ecu and stuff or can u use the motor and harness and thats it?

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I'd need more than I'm able to do now. Just the PI motor will suffice... 40 more horse, direct fit and warranty from the dealer I work at. All I'll need is intake (probably from ford racing for the PI one) and then headers, probably ford racing shorties

George

G

GREG@SN95

monkeydude3 said:
I'd need more than I'm able to do now. Just the PI motor will suffice... 40 more horse, direct fit and warranty from the dealer I work at. All I'll need is intake (probably from ford racing for the PI one) and then headers, probably ford racing shorties

George

just do LTs get that mod outa the way...

why are you buying a new engine?

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
cuz mine burns oil like gasoline, worse than a diesel and for an NPI is starting to lack power. Runnin odd too and it's just time to get rid of it.

G

GREG@SN95

monkeydude3 said:
cuz mine burns oil like gasoline, worse than a diesel and for an NPI is starting to lack power. Runnin odd too and it's just time to get rid of it.
oh yeh... duh... completely forgot bought all that

Ender

Reaction score
Headers would be nice, but if you are on a tight budget, your stock exhaust manifolds will bolt up just fine, they are the same on both NPI and PI engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online