Putting in a T56...

Sklander

Reaction score
What does it take?

I have a crate motor being assembled for my 1995 Mustang and am pretty sure I will blow the stock tranny with 110,000 miles on it into a million pieces. So, I want to go with a 6 speed. The T56 seems to be reliable and readily available. What does it take to get this tranny to work? Are there any other options as far as 6 speeds into a 1995 GT?

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
The things you will need are...tranny,bellhousing,new clutch disc, new tranny crossmember, and a new Driveshaft.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
YES! i cant wait to get this done. i thought i would have to have my shop do it, but im sure i can do it with some buddies. that will be my next huge mod after wheels. :bunny3:

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
After doing some research I think you're right. I also saw that I can get one on eBay for less than $2,000.00! YAY for that.

Will this tranny hold up to a 347 decked out putting down around 500HP/500TRQ?

I also have a question. I have the option to bump up to the afr 205's over the afr 185's for $400.00 more. What do y'all think? Do you think the added displacement of the motor can take significant advantage of the larger heads, or are the 205's just simply overkill?

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
The afr 185 will work with the 347.

Will you have a power adder? 500 RWHP is a tall order with just a NA 347.

Your on borrowed time with a t56 with 500 to the ground.

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Would the 205's help to reach my goal of 500HP/500TRQ on NA motor?

Are you trying to say that the T56 will detonate when that kind of power is put to it? What other trannies can I use that will be bulletproof?

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
If you are building a 347 go ahead and get the bigger better flowing heads. To reach 500 HP N/A you will have to spin that motor pretty high...IE 7500 RPMs. The T-56 will handle the power unless you are going to use the car as a drag car. If you are you will need to get a TKO 5-speed.

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Not gonna be a drag car. Just a mean ass street machine.

A little nitrous might help the goal of 500HP... 8)

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I would go with a TKO 600 or G-force. I personally will be going with a G-force.
500RWHP will be attainable with a power adder. Nitrous, Blower, Turbo. Just remember with that kind of power you will also have to beef up your rear end.

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Are there any 6 speeds that aren't too difficult to get in the car? I just like the idea of having a 6 speed... I guess there really is no advantage... just another gear...

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
Sklander said:
Are there any 6 speeds that aren't too difficult to get in the car? I just like the idea of having a 6 speed... I guess there really is no advantage... just another gear...
The biggest advantage is at cruising speeds. IE above 60 MPH

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Looks like Ed Curits at FTI is recommending me to promotionpowertrain in Florida. I have been collaborating with Ed extensively on the build up of this car and I think I will end up with a TKO600 or something simliar. Nothing special, just beefed up to handle the power that this monster motor is going to put down...

What do y'all think I can get to the wheels with 347 stroker, all forged internals, afr205's, edelbrock rpm II intake, and custom ground cam from FTI. The electronics are still up in the air, but it will be custom dyno tuned here locally by a very reputable mustang builder. My goal is 500HP/500TRQ to the ground on the motor alone, which I think is very possible. I was recommened to Ed Curtis at Flow Tech Induction by a member on here (can't remember who exactly) and he knows his shit ladies a gentleman. I can't stree how helpful he has been. Coast High performance is bulding the motor with a Street Fighter Pro series block with 10.5:1 comp pistons. The exhaust is MAC long tubes, O/R H and 2.5" cat back. Oh, and I am going to dump some nitrous on it when my Dad isn't looking. :angel:

I am going to have to beef the rear up, but thats not something I am thinking about right now. Whats the deal with putting a 1996 or so Cobra rear end in the car with the IRS? I have heard of this being done, but haven't researched it much.

When things start to get rolling I will get pics of the car and will lead y'all through the entire build process.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i dont know about 500 rwhp on motor alone but if you are anywhere near 500 hp and then add nitrous you might want to think about the block. I believe the chp street fighter pro street motors are stock blocks. Around 500 hp is where the limit on the stock 302 block is and spraying nitrous you will be well over it most likely and then you will split the block. Some may have run over 500 hp and not cracked it but it isnt something that i would be doing. Its just a bomb waiting to blow up.
There is no other 6 spd that is better to put in than the t-56. If you want a 6 spd than definately go with the t 56. The 5 spd options are g force t5, astro performance super t5, tko 500, 600 etc...

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
If you are really looking at 500 hp then you will need bigger exhaust than 2.5, and why do you want to put an IRS set-up in the rear end?

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
It was just an idea I was throwing around.

I am very confident with the high tech top end, AFR205's and high compression that 500RWHP/500TRQ is doable.

I was told by CHP that the block I am getting is good up to 750HP. It is NOT a stock block. Its a special block they have that I specifically asked for. I am not worried about the block. Eric from CHP recommended running a 100 shot at the to "scare the shit out of me".

I want to lower the car and get it set up looking more aggressive and am going to need to plant the power to the ground better. I also think I am going onna go with a built 9" or a 12 bolt.

Any comments?

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
You must have owned a Chevy before. An 8.8 with moser 31 spline axles and a locker like Auburn Pro is all you will need

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Is it a street fighter pro shortblock? If so i am pretty sure it is a stock block. The dominator series is the sportsman block. I still doubt you will make 500 rwhp n/a, 450 would be pretty good for a 347 h/c/i. you should get either the 205's or vic jr's

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
I will let y'all know.

Its a sportsman block, good to 700HP. That is what I was told... 4 bolt mains all the way across... how does that sound?

I just got a confirmation email from Ed Curtis that he has shipped my top end to CHP, so it shouldn't be too long now before the engine is sitting in my garage waiting for ignition, fueling, and an upper intake. I will get pics of everything that comes in and y'all can let me know what you think.

I have a question: I have the Edelbrock RPM II Performer intake and am getting so frustrated as to what throttle body to buy. I am getting all these different part numbers and adapter plates, blah, blah, blah... Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to run with the throttle body? I want a 75MM Edelbrock throttle body. Shit... It doesn't even need to be an Edelbrock. Whatever, I just want it to fit without a problem. This has been driving me crazy for days now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online