PUTTING SN95 MOTOR IN FOXBODY

90stanggt

Reaction score
I have a sn95 complete motor with all accesories. I was told that the only thing that is different from sn95 to foxbody is the tb elbow, tps, iac, starter. I can anyone give me any advice as to what i need to do in order to put this motor in my foxbody. I need as much advice as possible. I was going to drop the motor in, lay the harness in the engine bay and extend and splice the tps, iac and whatever other plugs need to be changed and go from there. Can someone please help me. NEED HELP GUYS ANY OTHER THINGS I NEED TO CONSIDER. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT. Im going crazy. I think im looking into this too deeply. Thanks guys

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Are you going to have air conditioning, power steering, and full accessories?

For the most part, everything will bolt right up. You could easily do a foxbody intake swap along with the foxbody EGR.

As far as things that won't work: (off the top of my head)
- fuel rail fittings are different
- TPS
- IAC
- A/C lines
- Alternator wiring (although easily remedied)
- Engine harnesses (obviously)
- No provision for a mechanical fan
- 94-95s have a mini-starter, and no fenderwell-mounted solenoid like the foxbody

Hmmm, help me out here guys - what am I forgetting?

Paul.

FaykSaleen

Reaction score
There are huge differences between fox and sn95.

Your best bet would be to run the fox harness, fox intake, fox distributor, fox throttle body and accesories plus all the fox components paul named.

Cutting and splicing (I think) should not work. The harness on sn95 (especially dash) is way more complex than fox body.

Good luck though, hopefully someone will chime in with more experience on this.

ProKiller

Reaction score
why not just use your existing fox stuff and just drop in the block, heads, and intake. seems like a whole bunch of unnecessary work to me. why are you doing this in the first place? whats wrong with the fox engine?

OP
OP

90stanggt

Reaction score
i got a motor out of a 95 the motor has a charger on it and all the plumbing is already there. i couldnt get the car to run for some reason with the 90 harness.. so i dropped the 95 harness in the complete car with a whole bunch of uneccesary wiring that i have come to the conclusion of. So i am yanking the 95 harness out. I have a perfect wiring hiring harness that im going to put in. i plan on blocking the egr. Plan on keeping the tps, iac motor just wire it up. I do not plan on having a/c. So other than making the wiring work for the tb, iac, tps. Is there any coolant sensors or anything to do with the cooling that i will have to swap or block. I am pretty sure i have to put a stock 90 distributor, solenoid on the firewall, and put a 90 starter in it and i should be all set. is there anything i might be forgetting???

ryclef331

Reaction score
The timing cover....noone mentioned that the timing covers are different between the two. The 94-95's timing covers are different to allow the accessories to sit further back to allow the fitment of the electric fans. So if you drop the 94-95 into the fox chassis, pick up an electric fan setup for it as well. ALL the harness hook ups will interchange (the important ones to make it run at least) except the TPS. If you have the SN95 harness still, just clip the pig tail off and wire it on to the harness for the 90 to allow it to hook up. You said you're not running egr so that shouldn't be a concern. On the 94-95 engine the coolant temp sensor is going to be the one in the lower intake on the passenger side for the ecu. The one in the driver's side is for the gauge on the dash. The 94-95 intake will not have a provision in the runner for the inlet air temp sensor so you may have to extend that on the harness and put it in the intake tubing like it is on the 94-95s. Thats all that comes to mind right now. The starter harness is in the "chassis" harness and not the one to actually run the engine so that shouldn't pose a problem. Wire it as it came from the factory for the fox car. You can do away with solenoid on the fender well if you run an SN95 starter, run the battery positive directly to the starter. However, I believe you have to run a bigger gauge "trigger" wire to it that what is on the fox chassis b/c I think IIRC it is too thin and will burn up after awhile due to the higher current it needs to trigger the solenoid mounted on the starter.

KingOsiris

Reaction score
This thread is old however i have been doing research all across the web and cannot find a definite answer on this type of swap. Did the OP every get his swap sorted out if so are there any tips to help get this done? I have a 1994 GT and I wanted to swap the engine into my 1991 fox I was going to do the whole engine including AC. Im thinking about using the Fox wiring harness where it fit and swap in any other plugs or sensors that i may need. I am also going with gt40p heads and explorer intake.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Holy jesus 2009!

zombiesahead.jpg

Since OP has only 2 posts, I'm guess he didn't hang around long, so I doubt you will get any answers from him. I don't personally know specifics, I'm sure there's a lot of similarities and some differences too. For resources, in addition to here, do some googling on Painless Performance - they do wiring harnesses, and you may be able to get insight based on what they include/don't include for different engine/ECU's. Also, maybe Google for FFR Roadsters - those are kit cars that use Mustang parts. I'm sure there's a number of them that have used a 5.0L with either a SN95 harness or a Fox harness.

RichV

Reaction score
I swapped a Fox into a SN, so going the other way is similar.

Do you have a 5.0 fox now? Can the brackets be used?

To swap the Fox to SN, I changed:

accessory brackets to the SN style
water pump to the SN style
p/s to the SN style
fuel rail to SN style
harmonic pulley to the SN style (just pulley)

I kept the Fox intake manifold, so the 3 TPS wired need spliced, and I used a Fox throttle cable.

So you can go backwards from that, note I did not do any emissions stuff. I'm sure you can do it with all the SN brackets and intake, but you'll have to use a Fox fuel rail unless you do some custom stuff.

KingOsiris

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I almost forgot to check back here after the post because I was doing so much research. I have a sn95 engine which i plan to use all of the sn95 accy brackets I guess my biggest issue which throttle body I should use and the proper sensors. I wonder if i can just use the sn95 throttle body with my gt40 intake. Would that work with the fox style throttle cable?

RichV

Reaction score
No, you will need a Fox t/b and cable. The SN t/b does not bolt up to a Explorer intake, without the adapter in which case you'll need the SN cable.

KingOsiris

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to wire up the ac from a sn95 into a foxbody mustang? I actually got the engine and trans mounted into the car and after serious consideration i want to run ac in this TN heat. I have been searching the web and several forums but I have not found any helpful info yet. So if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Here's a pic of a SN95 2 valve engine in a fox body with a carb and not fuel injection that I took recently.

IMG_4178_zpsvefmr2k2.jpg

IMG_4174_zpsz4tsblux.jpg

KingOsiris

Reaction score
That is a awesome looking specimen however I was asking for the 94-95 5.0. Im looking to find out about the wiring and which hoses to use for that setup in a foxbody.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online