Q: how to remove front speaker brackets?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
Mach 460 system. Front passenger side. Seems like the 2 black “disc” looking things top right/top left are screwed in (?) from the back. I tried pinching with a pliers and turning counter-clockwise but as you can see by the scrape marks across the top right black “disc”... not much luck. Can’t grip or even rotate it enough to thread it off.
I’m trying to replace the liner before the stereo install scheduled for this Wednesday.
Thanks!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 6533
Mach 460 system. Front passenger side. Seems like the 2 black “disc” looking things top right/top left are screwed in (?) from the back. I tried pinching with a pliers and turning counter-clockwise but as you can see by the scrape marks across the top right black “disc”... not much luck. Can’t grip or even rotate it enough to thread it off.
I’m trying to replace the liner before the stereo install scheduled for this Wednesday.
Thanks!!

Those are rivets. Drill em out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think I better wait and let the stereo guys decide just in case they don’t have a replacement for the bracket.

But thanks (again), Evil. You’re a tremendous help to me!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no you want to leave those in there. Either get a 5x7 speaker or you can make a 5 x 7 to 6 inch baffle

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no you want to leave those in there. Either get a 5x7 speaker or you can make a 5 x 7 to 6 inch baffle

Only way I’d remove them is to put a layer of extreme or similar between it and the metal and then either reinstall it or make a better version from Wood and install it. Wood would create a better isolator for harmonics

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Only way I’d remove them is to put a layer of extreme or similar between it and the metal and then either reinstall it or make a better version from Wood and install it. Wood would create a better isolator for harmonics

I would never use wood again myself on my own car. HDPE would be the material I would go with. Removing the brackets to put damping between a plastic bracket seems like too much trouble for what you get to me.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would never use wood again myself on my own car. HDPE would be the material I would go with. Removing the brackets to put damping between a plastic bracket seems like too much trouble for what you get to me.

If you seal the wood it’s not bad at all and again, it’s about the harmonics. Would you gain much from doing what I said?? Minimal, but every little gain counts and if you already have the door that far apart, what’s the difference in just a few minutes more in work???

It’s the same thing in home theaters where people debate the difference in staggered offset stud walls versus decoupling by creating 2 separate walls that have an air gap. Or the difference in using Quietrock versus 2 layers of 5/8’s drywall with Greenglue in between layers.

The difference may be minimal in the end but it still makes a difference.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the juice needs to be worth the squeeze. you saying the wood baffle would sound better than the HDPE or its not worth the extra cost? You can get a sheet shipped to ya on amazon for about $12 to do both doors and then there is no need to spend the time to seal the wood when we all know the hdpe will last longer and take the same amount of time to cut as the wood. Sealing it helps but I think we all know the HDPE will not fail ever.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the juice needs to be worth the squeeze. you saying the wood baffle would sound better than the HDPE or its not worth the extra cost? You can get a sheet shipped to ya on amazon for about $12 to do both doors and then there is no need to spend the time to seal the wood when we all know the hdpe will last longer and take the same amount of time to cut as the wood. Sealing it helps but I think we all know the HDPE will not fail ever.

I said harmonics, not cost. If your door is sealed up we’ll then you shouldn’t have to worry about the moisture. For myself my car will always be garaged from here on out so it should never see rain anyways.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Show me an automotive door that is sealed up? I am tempted to post a pic of mine with the HDPE plug in it, but its not....

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said... gonna let the stereo guys deal with it! But I digress...!!!

SoFla SVT

Reaction score
Use HDPE or expanded pvc sheet the latter is easier to work with. Sometimes a cheap HDPE cutting board (or two) can be enough material for a small project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online