Question about Cobra Brakes

delling3

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my '96 GT to Cobra spec parts.

Is there a difference between the front brakes on a SN-95 and a New Edge? I see parts listed as specific to fit 1994-1998, and some as 99-2004's, but I thought all used the same 13" calipers and rotors. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!

PinkieT

Reaction score
The New Edge cars had dual piston front calipers (different than the Cobra calipers) and the SN95s had single piston calipers. I think the rotors are the same. I bolted Cobra front brakes on my 98 GT no problem. They take different hoses, though.

joe65

Reaction score
I just put the cobras on my new edge. bolted right up even with the brake line. Looks like pinkieT says you might have to get the new edge brake lines tho on yours.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, if I buy a set of "Cobra" calipers specified as for model years 1994 -1998, are these going to be an upgrade over the stock brakes, or do I need to get "Cobra" calipers from 1999 and up to have any benefit?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yes they will be an upgrade. The cobra model has dual piston calipers and 13 inch rotors while the stock set up has 11 inch. If I remember correctly the rear are the same.

You will also need rotors and brake lines as advertised before. The calipers are an upgrade but lots of your gain comes from having a much larger rotor therefore more pad to surface contact.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Is this upgrade for street or performance driving? A lot of things impact how effective your brakes are. Your pads, hoses and tires all factor in. And, Cobras had larger, vented rear rotors compared to the V6/GT. For performance applications, you might want to consider upgrading the rear brakes too.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
This is for street use. I may try my hand at Auto-X down the road, but for now my focus is just street use. I am aware that I'll need 13" rotors, and new hoses (and yes, I will opt for braided stainless here). I was just unclear if there was any difference between the front calipers for a SN 95 Cobra and a New Edge Cobra.

lutter94

Reaction score
I see no one has answered your real question, lol. Yes COBRA calipers are different from new edge to 94-98. They look identical, so most can't tell a difference, same design, but the newer pistons are slightly larger I believe. I can look up specifics, and can't say for certain it changed with the body style, but I do know that there was a change somewhere mid SN95 on the Cobra calipers. I also understand you're not asking about any GT/V6/PBR brake components, lol.

07GtS197

Reaction score
They’re slightly different. The 94-98 Cobra and 01 Bullitt have slightly smaller caliper pistons (38mm vs 42mm) than the 99-04s. That won’t make a difference really. Like stated above it’s the pad sweep area that makes the difference.

Edit: Lutter beat me to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
They’re slightly different. The 94-98 Cobra and 01 Bullitt have slightly smaller caliper pistons (38mm vs 42mm) than the 99-04s. That won’t make a difference really. Like stated above it’s the pad sweep area that makes the difference.

Edit: Lutter beat me to it

Link mentioned 40x40, you mentioned 42x42. I'll trust 07GT is correct, because my link was a random google. Either way. Tomato Tomato......

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
If you plan on trying autocross, I would suggest going with a pad that, while not super-aggressive, would be better suited for autocross than a "standard" pad. Hawk HPS pads are a good choice; they offer good initial bite, feel consistent, and don't give off a ton of dust. They're a good pad for a street car that is occasionally used for autocross.

The popular aftermarket Cobra calipers should be the same for 94-04 cars.

Check out the J&M SS front brake hose kit for the 94-98 Cobras. I've been very happy with the J&M SS hoses I've used.

lutter94

Reaction score
The popular aftermarket Cobra calipers should be the same for 94-04 cars.

You might want to look into the differences, esp with being a racing user. They are most definitely different. Does it make a difference? Probs not. But I don't think I'd want new edge on one side, and 94-98 on the other.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
You might want to look into the differences, esp with being a racing user. They are most definitely different. Does it make a difference? Probs not. But I don't think I'd want new edge on one side, and 94-98 on the other.

I should have been more clear in my response. I was assuming the OP was going to buy a pair from somewhere like LMR. The 94-04 kits they sell are listed as 38mm pistons.

If you check Rock Auto, you can find the 38mm and 40mm versions (depending on year).

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, found a set of calipers on flea-bay. They are listed as "NEW" not remanufactured. Imported (guessing China). Black powdercoat, no logos. Specifically call out "94-98 Cobra". Based on this I am guessing the 38mm pistons. Might just pull the trigger.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
That's not a bad price. I asked because Rock Auto has NEW Raybestos 38mm calipers (listed under 1996 DOHC) with brackets for $74 each. They are bare metal, but $20 worth of caliper paint would fix that. Might be a good option if you wanted to be certain about the brand and the piston size.

PinkieT

Reaction score
That's not a bad price. I asked because Rock Auto has NEW Raybestos 38mm calipers (listed under 1996 DOHC) with brackets for $74 each. They are bare metal, but $20 worth of caliper paint would fix that. Might be a good option if you wanted to be certain about the brand and the piston size.

... and quality, and ability to return if you have a problem.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Link mentioned 40x40, you mentioned 42x42. I'll trust 07GT is correct, because my link was a random google. Either way. Tomato Tomato......

I thought it was a larger difference but I’ve been known to wrong lol.

Those might be replicas and could be ok. There’s been a thread of s197forum where a few guys bought knockoff brembos and they’ve worked out fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online