Question about Cobra Brakes

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I thought it was a larger difference but I’ve been known to wrong lol.

Those might be replicas and could be ok. There’s been a thread of s197forum where a few guys bought knockoff brembos and they’ve worked out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those brembos are nice on the s197. I hate that you've got to buy a 300 dollar bracket kit to mount them on the sn95.

That being said cobra stuff is the way to go for a street/light auto x car imo. Buy quality pads and rotors. I reccomend the slotted ones. My car has drilled and slotted but if you're really hammering them cheaper drilled rotors can crack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I have used OEM 03-04 Cobra calipers on my autocross 1992 GT and 2004 V6 for years. I've never felt the need to upgrade to Brembos. When you autocross, you are trying to use your brakes as LITTLE as possible. Brembos are nice brakes, but, in my experience, they aren't necessary for autocross.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I have been wondering how hard it would be to make those brackets on my cnc...
Not very hard I'm sure. But I think you're money ahead buying a Brembo kit almost. You'll need pads rotors calipers brackets and possible lines as well. With a Brembo kit you get all of that and I'm sure the difference in the 2 set ups is negligible at best.

Connie

Reaction score
So, found a set of calipers on flea-bay. They are listed as "NEW" not remanufactured. Imported (guessing China). Black powdercoat, no logos. Specifically call out "94-98 Cobra". Based on this I am guessing the 38mm pistons. Might just pull the trigger.
Check out MAX BRAKES. They are out of Canada. Fantastic prices on Slotted, and or Drilled Rotors too. I would order their top Grade pads also. I never had a problem, and the Brakes held up great on the 'Tail Of The Dragon'. They're a great company.DSC00001.JPG

07GtS197

Reaction score
Someone needs to buy the FTR brackets for the s197 brakes and s550 brakes and send them to Scott to reverse engineer lol.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Someone needs to buy the FTR brackets for the s197 brakes and s550 brakes and send them to Scott to reverse engineer lol.

Pete’s brackets require a huge spacer for some reason. Thomas has a bracket he made and is testing on his car but his machinist backed out on making more. I’m hoping hel share the file and then Scott could make them.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Has anyone tallied the costs of both options?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Pete’s brackets require a huge spacer for some reason. Thomas has a bracket he made and is testing on his car but his machinist backed out on making more. I’m hoping hel share the file and then Scott could make them.

That would be nice. Another option would be to make a bracket to use stock s197 calipers with 13 inch rotors so 18 inch wheels wouldn’t be needed. It would cut down on the cost of swapping to 13 inch rotors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

throw the offer out. I have a place locally that I can get the aluminum from and my machine should be able to do it. Even if he does not have the code if I can get ahold of one I should be able to figure it out

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
throw the offer out. I have a place locally that I can get the aluminum from and my machine should be able to do it. Even if he does not have the code if I can get ahold of one I should be able to figure it out

Ill reach out to him again.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[mention]Thomas_W [/mention] get your arse in here and talk to people about your brake brackets and how they’re holding up so far!!!!!!!

The people demand updates!!!!!! [emoji38]

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As everyone else has said, yes there is a difference. Pre-New Edges had single piston front calipers and a small(er) rotor. Cobra kits work for both Pre- and New-Edge. Attachment points did not change. Only the hardware used. Rear calipers and rotors (non-Cobra) were the same for both Pre- and New- Edge.

Cobra fronts will directly bolt in for Pre- and New-Edge. Cobra rears require more work, you have to explicitly change the mounting bracket attached to the axle housing for the Cobra rears. This pushes the rear caliper out more to fit the larger Cobra vented rear rotors. Despite being very similar, rear GT/V6 calipers and rear Cobra calipers ARE NOT THE SAME.

With regard to AutoCrossing:
  • If you are a beginner, stock GT calipers with a quality pad (Hawk HPS, Hawk HP+) will be more than enough as you are learning. Make sure you use fresh, quality brake fluid.
  • Beyond that, Cobra front AND rears, with a quality and temperature-appropriate pad and quality brake fluid work great, more than enough. Even for road racing. They work great. Personally, I use blank rotors. I don't like slots or cross drills for racing. Slots and crossdrills are sort of a myth these days (though they look great on street cars :) ). F1 cars, for example, use blanks. Think about that.
  • If you have heavily modified the power output of your car, and/or you are a pro racer, step up to a larger brake such as the Brembos or Wilwood or something.
Summary: Cobra up front are great. Cobra up front and on the rear are even better. Cobra on all 4 corners with a matched master cylinder is even better-er. With a quality pad and fluid, you will rarely, if ever, out-drive your brakes.

Chris Kreple

Reaction score
I’m in for buying brackets to put brembos on my 01 Cobra. I’d like to use 14” rotors. (My car is coyote swapped and set up for road course track days.

408mustanglx

Reaction score
Just did a svt/cobra brake upgrade front and rear. The calipers are different all around from the gt parts. The rears look the same but the gt will not clear the svt/cobra rotors. The rear rotors are either 1/2 to one 1 inch larger. I had to change the front flex hoses and the passenger side hard brake line fitting. Not sure if that was a normal thing to do, or because of the flex line. The rears used the same flex line and parking brake cables/hoses.

lutter94

Reaction score
Just did a svt/cobra brake upgrade front and rear. The calipers are different all around from the gt parts. The rears look the same but the gt will not clear the svt/cobra rotors. The rear rotors are either 1/2 to one 1 inch larger. I had to change the front flex hoses and the passenger side hard brake line fitting. Not sure if that was a normal thing to do, or because of the flex line. The rears used the same flex line and parking brake cables/hoses.

The rear calipers are 100% identical. HOWEVER, the brackets that the calipers attach to (with the float pins, not the axle brackets) are different and have structure around the outside that is easily seen from the outside. This is because the rotor is thicker and needs the "GT" bracket to be hogged out, thus losing strength.

I converted to cobra brakes as well, and didn't have to crack a line in the rear.

21_cal_comparsn-jpg.246617

408mustanglx

Reaction score
The rear calipers are 100% identical. HOWEVER, the brackets that the calipers attach to (with the float pins, not the axle brackets) are different and have structure around the outside that is easily seen from the outside. This is because the rotor is thicker and needs the "GT" bracket to be hogged out, thus losing strength.

I converted to cobra brakes as well, and didn't have to crack a line in the rear.

21_cal_comparsn-jpg.246617
You just confirmed my suspicions, but I was not able to buy the bracket by itself. Also the mounting bracket on the differential will be required (kit # M2300 -M) got mine from Summit. Unfortunately the kit included two rotors which I didn't require, as I had already bought pads and rotors.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have never found the brackets just by themselves either. It's a full "kit." Thus my comment about them NOT being the same. Yes, the actual caliper portion is the same but if someone doesn't know any better, they might buy a GT "kit" thinking it will just work for Cobra discs.

Reaction score
honestly just get the factory dual piston cobra/bullitt/mach 1 calipers with some slotted rotors, upgraded pads, new lines and dot 4 fluid and you will be set. i ran a full bullitt brake setup for a long time before i swapped to my wilwoods and that was because i got to the limits of the cobra brakes on the track

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online