Question about Convertible Interior Panels

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by delling3, Mar 18, 2019.

1. delling3

delling3 Member

I asked about this before, but got no response. As much knowledge as there among the forum members, I am sure someone must have the answer I am looking for.

I have a 96 GT Convertible. The front seat belts are in really rough shape - frayed webbing, and balky retractors. I have a place that reman's OEM seat belts, and would like to pull the front belts and send them out for refurb. My issue is the how to pull the top mount. The belts thread thru the interior panel behind the seats, and I can't see an obvious way to remove the panel. I want to avoid breaking the panels, as they are in really nice condition, and am not sure about availability of replacements. This is the panel that house the rear speakers. Anyone?

Chris

2. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra Active Member

There should be a slit for the belt to slide through. It might not be easily visible.

3. delling3

delling3 Member

There is a opening the belt passes thru. That said, I need to get to the upper belt mounting point, which is behind the panel. Am I missing something fundamental?

4. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

I've taken those panels out before, but that was years ago. Take out the back seat bottom (there are two pushbuttons underneath, don't just yank it) and then unbolt the seat back. I think you need to take off the long plastic plates on the bottom of the door openings, which also just pop off IIRC. Once all that is done, you can probably figure it out from there. If I get a chance to get to my storage unit and look at my cars, I'll post more info.