Question about Convertible Interior Panels

delling3

Reaction score
I asked about this before, but got no response. As much knowledge as there among the forum members, I am sure someone must have the answer I am looking for.

I have a 96 GT Convertible. The front seat belts are in really rough shape - frayed webbing, and balky retractors. I have a place that reman's OEM seat belts, and would like to pull the front belts and send them out for refurb. My issue is the how to pull the top mount. The belts thread thru the interior panel behind the seats, and I can't see an obvious way to remove the panel. I want to avoid breaking the panels, as they are in really nice condition, and am not sure about availability of replacements. This is the panel that house the rear speakers. Anyone?

Chris

01yellercobra

Reaction score
There should be a slit for the belt to slide through. It might not be easily visible.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I've taken those panels out before, but that was years ago. Take out the back seat bottom (there are two pushbuttons underneath, don't just yank it) and then unbolt the seat back. I think you need to take off the long plastic plates on the bottom of the door openings, which also just pop off IIRC. Once all that is done, you can probably figure it out from there. If I get a chance to get to my storage unit and look at my cars, I'll post more info.

Monday

Reaction score
Yeah.

Undo the belts; remove the rear seat; pop out the panels; top speaker cover pops off; seat rear bolt undone - push it thru the panel.

I had bad belts. Get a bucket - dish soap and very hot water. Get them well soaked, and you can see the grime and shit start muddying the water, then just leave there for a day. Take them out; wring dry; hang til dry. I used clothes pins to keep the seat belt itself out of retracted position - you want the seat belts as far out as possible, soaking, so you get as much of the problem washing out as possible. While you're at it, also spray some silicone in the mechanisms; seat belts will be as good as new. I did this after someone told me what to do, and after I spent 150$ on new belts, and they were in just as shitty shape...

PS buy the stupid plastic plugs and that red handled plug popper thingy, don't screw with anything used. It just easier. Get those panels back in correctly and solidly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online