Question about motor pull, rear main seal, porting e7s

snoball

Reaction score
How hard is it to pull a motor out of our year and type cars? I have alot of buddies that will help but none have 5.0 sn95s. Mostly modular cars and i know pull the engine isnt the easiet on those. Also i need the typical rear main seal. easy job or not? Id be doing it if i pull the motor. I need to do that and oilpan gaskets as they leak. And while its out for the gasket a few people i know have home ported stock e7s and seen gains of about 15 hp. i dont have much money and will be doing all of this on my own, anyone have exprience or tips theyd like to share?

Thanks sn95forum.

Also anything else you recommned while motor is out maitenence wise. (nothing to costly if i dont really need it) like typical problems lemme know.

OP
OP
S

snoball

Reaction score
anyone? i know someone has had to do one of the things i listed. also im thinking off adding a 65 mm throttle body will that help any with horsepower and air/fuel as my car runs really rich.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
not to jack this thread but i also have a rear main that leaking like a MOFO!! my buddies got a lift...can it be fixed easily by dropping the trans?

OP
OP
S

snoball

Reaction score
Hey your not jacking it, if we both have the same problem might as well ask because we most likely will get the same answer.

ryclef331

Reaction score
You can do it by dropping the tranny.

Drop the tranny out of the car, remove bellhousing, remove pressureplate, clutch, and bellhousing. remove the block plate (if you don't know, you will when you see it). NOW, you're looking at the back of the motor and should see the crank shaft and the rear main seal. Now to pull the seal, I use small screw to thread into seal itself. Use about 3-4 evenly spaced around the seal. Make sure they are in good enough NOT to pull out of it but NOT touching the crank itself. YOU DON'T WANT TO GOUGE THE CRANK! With the screws threaded it, begin to pull evenly all the way around. A small slap-hammer works great if you have one or access to one. For the screws, small wood type screw work best. ONce the old seal is out, clean up the area REALLY well, lube the NEW seal up with clean oil and install it. Use a large socket to tap it in evenly. Thats the best way to put .

Pulling the motor isn't hard. Its intimidating at first but not that hard. Once you've done it once, its a cake walk.

BALZY_GT

Reaction score
Changing the main seal is very easy..........that is once you have the tranny out of course. You can also pop the seal out by carefully taking a small screw driver and working it around the seal evenly & prying gently. Make sure that you inspect your clutch, throw out bearing, and flywheel while you have the tranny out. If the clutch is worn the slightest bit I would replace it. If the flywheel has quite a few heat spots on it, take it to a local NAPA or other auto type shop and have them resurface it. Mine only set me back $25 to get it resurfaced. Also, as long as you have the clutch and flywheel off, replace the pilot bearing, and you may want to change the tranny fluid while you have such easy access to it.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i got a auto and i was thinking of doing a trans flush ....so the rear main is pretty typical because i havent really looked into it, maybe a oil pan gasket???? i hope rear main though

OP
OP
S

snoball

Reaction score
Sounds pretty easy from what you guys say. I have an auto also. Im going to do the oilpan gasket. I cant see how thatd be hard..

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
yeah since its up in the air lol i cant see how hard it would be to drop the pan while im there lol but you never know haha i could be wrong

ryclef331

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the pan will clear the k-member as far as stockers go. I've never tried but I was alway under the assumption they wouldn't.

EDIT: Even if you can pull the pan entirely, you can probably drop it far enough to change the gasket though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online