Question for anyone with 500+ HP

ash95saleen

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone making some good horsepower numbers, preferably 500+. What are you doing for a computer? Are you still running the stock computer? I have had people tell me my stock computer wouldnt work for what I am doing and will need a stand alone FMU. I will be running a S/C 331, looking to make around 550-600hp. Anyone making these numbers, please help me out and let me know what you are doing.

Thanks, Ash

RichV

Reaction score
Well, and FMU and ECU are different. I ASSume you mean ECU.

What is your setup? Are you up and running?

Aftermarket would be the way to go IMO. But a stock computer can be modified to work.

Suspect

Reaction score
im making a 100+ over that on a stock ecu. sct chip. and my shop knows that the car will be seeing more here shortly. they've yet to say anything about it, so im not stressing it at all. when they tell me its time to upgrade i will, but until then ill keep getting tuned.

kb1982

Reaction score
The stock computer will work, but it will require a tune using something along the lines of Moates QuarterHorse, SCT eliminator chip, or the Tweecer. Alot of good things have been said about the Pro-M stand alones, but at 1999.00 dollars it isnt cheap. But apparently it comes tuned and setup up for a true plug and play experience. It inludes a new harness, maf and the ecm. A less expensive setup is the Megasuirt PnP. Its around 740 dollars and the stock harness plugs into it. It comes with a base tune for a stock mustang that needs to be tuned for your setup. If your not interested in learning about tuning, you will have to find a tuner that can tune it, and there arent as many tuners familiar with it as the SCT and moates options. Other options include Haltech, AEM, FAST, and the Holley standalone. There is also the Anderson PMS units that are stand alone and they also have units that piggy back off the stock pcm. You can also try using just a calibrated MAF with injectors, but you will need something still to pull timing out, such as a boost timing retard box.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
My main concern would be are you planning on using a stock block ?

Suspect

Reaction score
I thought it went without saying.. but yea if your putting together a 331 you should at least be looking at a shp.

Racsirx

Reaction score
Hopefully you are building something with an aftermarket block, I have pushed many stock blocks in the 600hp range but I never do that again but you should be fine with a stock computer setup if you have a good tuner if you plan on growing past the 600hp range.

OP
OP
ash95saleen

ash95saleen

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the info. Yes I meant ECU not FMU, sorry head up ass moment... Lol. Its not a stock block, I have everything bulletproof as far as drivetrain. The fuel injection world is kinda new to me, always ran carbs on my toys but I want a true street car this time so I am doing this one right. I was told I would need something like a Holley,Big stuff, FAST or something along those lines to get it right. But sounds like I should try the stock computer with maybe a SCT tune. The car isnt completely put together yet, but thought I would start figuring this out so I know what has to be done.
331 stroker, Sportsman block,fully forged internals, girdle,TW heads, holley system max 2, T-trim...ect.ect. Should be fun!!
Thanks again for all the info!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's a very similar setup to my combo . I just run a custom burnt chip and a pro m maf nothing fancy killer drivability . Based on the list of mods you have you'll easily be over 500rwhp as long as you got the fuel to turn decent boost .

OP
OP
ash95saleen

ash95saleen

Reaction score
It's a very similar setup to my combo . I just run a custom burnt chip and a pro m maf nothing fancy killer drivability . Based on the list of mods you have you'll easily be over 500rwhp as long as you got the fuel to turn decent boost .
I should be fine on the fuel part, went a bit overkill but I have the Areomotive A1000 Stealth kit. What kind of power are you making if you dont mind me asking? And what injectors do you have? I am planning on running 72lb injectors.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I should be fine on the fuel part, went a bit overkill but I have the Areomotive A1000 Stealth kit. What kind of power are you making if you dont mind me asking? And what injectors do you have? I am planning on running 72lb injectors.

Im running 60lbs wish I bought 80's for more room to grow but it made just 623rwhp at 15lbs i think I'm goona upgrade the head unit this winter . I'm running the victor 5.0 intake though and a svo 86mm throttle body . Otherwise my setups pretty close also running a electric water pump

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
Stock ecu + tweecer on a production block with CNC work etc. I find the cbaza strategy to be easy enough to work with. Later stuff like RYAF0 is more complex and A9l is a little lacking. I actually bought one of those pro-m PIH kits back in the 90s to swap back to an a9l because they were more mod tolerant (supposedly) and didn't pull timing between shifts.

ryclef331

Reaction score
As mentioned before, if you can find someone knowledgable with tuning, that Megasquirt setup is the ticket in the dollor/capability ratio. The stock ECU CAN work but technology has come a very long way. I'm a guy that likes to tinker and tweek. So while i can pay someone for dyno time and a custom chip for say $400...I am essentially LEASHED to that guy for any changes to my combination. Physically...I have to got to him. With the Mega, FAST, BigStuff, and Holley (which if you can afford it...is effing amazing)...I may not KNOW myself how to tune it completely but I can be coached over the phone on my own laptop and I have the ability to make changes while I'm miles away from my "tuner guy" and eventually, I can become my OWN tuner guy. I think you get more accurate tuning as well in boosted applications with a MAP Sensor that reads boost vs. MAF that only reads flow. I am not a pro tuner and don't claim to be. Thats my $0.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online