Question for Convertible owners regarding the boot...

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I don’t know if it was ever truly offered. I think they made about 500, and they all ended up on black 1995 cobras, of which I think were only 1000, but I’m not 100% on the numbers. I think I remember it mentioned though in my 1994 brochure though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
95cobra_1_original.jpg

https://www.fryguy.net/2011/01/16/1995-mustang-cobra-hardtop-convertible/

OP
OP
Art_B

Art_B

Reaction score
MyLittlePony: Thanks for posting the pics, appreciated!

The removable hardtop was a very cool idea, allowing the car to be a truly all-season vehicle. However, I guess it was really heavy and labor intensive to install/remove, as well as pretty expensive. Today it could be built with carbon fiber to lighten the load... but it makes you wonder how time/resources Ford actually put into that project back in the day... obviously they did not recoup their investment!

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Ok, being in England and seeing a topic about the boot I clearly thought this was regarding the trunk...

Interesting the hard top - I really like the look of that black one as my car is black - looks really good.

Used to have a Mercedes SL500 with removable hard top - wasn't too bad a job, just needed 2x people.

Regards

TMW

delling3

Reaction score
I had a removable hard top on my Triumph Spitfire. Very helpful in my neck of the woods. Two people and a few bolts was all it took to put on or off.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There was a company making a very similar hard top called smooth line. Not exactly the same but it was not horrible

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Ok, being in England and seeing a topic about the boot I clearly thought this was regarding the trunk...

Just so you know, a “wing” is also a “spoiler”. Although, I did once have a fender on my trunk. Also, a “hood” is where the engine hides

I had a removable hard top on my Triumph Spitfire. Very helpful in my neck of the woods. Two people and a few bolts was all it took to put on or off.

GT6 is the way to go.

Here is something that I found in a 5.0 muscle portfolio 1982-1993
And at the end pages this comes out ,

Interesting. So they planned on coming out with the hardtop, something marketed for winter use, in the late spring of 1994? That explains a lot. I can’t imagine anyone ordering a 1994 convertible with one, as you’d only want to use it as soon as the 1995 models come out.

Last edited:

Walt

Reaction score
I don’t know if it was ever truly offered. I think they made about 500, and they all ended up on black 1995 cobras, of which I think were only 1000, but I’m not 100% on the numbers. I think I remember it mentioned though in my 1994 brochure though.

There were 499 Cobras (as mentioned) and 2 GT's. Last I heard, one of those two GT's had been totaled. There was an accessory cart, one could buy thru the parts dept, to hold the top when removed.

One of my co-workers had a Cobra with the removable hardtop. I never knew exactly who it was, but it showed up periodically in the employee lot for many years. I would say it has been only about 2 years since I last saw it.

The regular coupe had a seam down along the lower edge of the C pillar. So it wasn't easy to tell convertible with the hardtop on, from a regular coupe. The only real way, was if the rear side windows were down (lowered). That is something only a convertible can do.

Flade

Reaction score
Returning to the OP’s original subject. The 94s came with the boot and cover in the trunk. Somewhere in 97 or 98 Ford got cheap and eliminated the covers. Instead they sewed an elastic strap on the back of each side. When storing the boot cover, you fold in the ends and stretch the elastic around them to hold them closed so you can place it 8n the trunk. Then with the New edge cars they switched to a new design boot cover, that is lighter and folds smaller.

Walt

Reaction score
Then with the New edge cars they switched to a new design boot cover, that is lighter and folds smaller.

My cover folds into thirds, and on the reverse side, there is a elastic strap on the one third, about 1/2" wide, with a snap, that snaps onto the opposite third, to hold it together for storage.

Mustang Boot.jpg

Last edited:

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Just so you know, a “wing” is also a “spoiler”. Although, I did once have a fender on my trunk. Also, a “hood” is where the engine hides.

My daily driver is a Jaguar X-Type with factory sat nav. I use the American voice for it as she's not as aggressive as the English one. But she does insist on calling a roundabout a traffic circle...

Sorry, off topic there.

Regards

TMW

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
My daily driver is a Jaguar X-Type with factory sat nav. I use the American voice for it as she's not as aggressive as the English one. But she does insist on calling a roundabout a traffic circle...

Sorry, off topic there.

Regards

TMW

I call it a roundabout, and I’m from Texas. Although I also seem to be one of a select few around here who knows how to operate one.

carbuff

Reaction score
I'm new to owning a Mustang convertible, and I'm getting ready to take my 1998 on a weekend car show/road trip. My question is, how to you take the boot with you? I "thought" it would fit in the trunk, when that didn't work I thought I could put it in the back seat and that didn't look promising either. So were do you put the boot when you want to bring it with you, but you're driving with the top up???

Mine fit in the trunk. It took up most of the space but it fit. The 2 side wings folded a little to help get in the opening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online