Question for those who have changed rear brakes....

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by scarface, Mar 3, 2007.

1. scarface

scarface Guest

Not quite sure what the problem is, but I took off my rear brake calipers today to finish installing my 3 inch wheel studs, and when I went to put them back on I didnt compress the piston (didnt have the tool) It was REALLY tight, but it went back on ok....seemed ok.......

WELL, when I went for the test drive my brakes are smoking from that caliper now. ???

Did I screw them up somehow? or do I need to compress them, then reinstall? I cant figure out why it is rubbing?

It was tight as hell going back on, but it did go. The other side went on alot easier.

HELP ME PLEASE.

thanks.
    -David

2. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Try and turn that piston in somehow, i used the tool but some say you can do it without.

3. scarface

scarface Guest

I can rent the tool tomorrow Bob, I was just wondering if you thought I needed to or if it sounded like the caliper was frozen up somehow?

4. Doc_G

Doc_G New Member

some times the tool doesn't work w/out some modification. heres what I did on my 95. With a shop rag over the dust boot use a good set of channel locks to turn the piston in while turning on a c-clamp (to compress it like the front) turn it a few times and add more pressure w/the clamp. you should be good to go after that.

5. scarface

scarface Guest

I understand HOW to collapse the piston... I got the brakes back on without doing it, now one of them seems to be stuck against the rotor. It is smoking and getting REALLY hot.

My question was....Do I have to collapse the piston to may it operate properly, or could it just be coincidence that it seized up now?

6. Dalamar

Dalamar Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

That's what I did on mine too.

7. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

sounds like the caliper could be locked up, i would try and compress first...but its possible that it seized.

8. Doc_G

Doc_G New Member

Yeah I dont know who thought putting screw style pistons in the rear was a good idea but I'd like him/her to be tar'd feather'd and ridden out of town on a rail.

OP my apologies for misunderstanding your post.

9. Pennywise2

Pennywise2 Active Member

Your caliper/s probably failed on you or seized up.
    Don't risk your saftey replace the caliper/s.

10. scarface

scarface Guest

Thanks for all of your responses Guys :) there is a pending sale on the car, so I dont want to take any chances. the guy told me he would pay for a new caliper, so I am going to just replace it I think.

11. Dalamar

Dalamar Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

BFH ?

12. scarface

scarface Guest

wont apply to this action....lol