Question for those who have changed rear brakes....

S

scarface

Not quite sure what the problem is, but I took off my rear brake calipers today to finish installing my 3 inch wheel studs, and when I went to put them back on I didnt compress the piston (didnt have the tool) It was REALLY tight, but it went back on ok....seemed ok.......

WELL, when I went for the test drive my brakes are smoking from that caliper now. ???

Did I screw them up somehow? or do I need to compress them, then reinstall? I cant figure out why it is rubbing?

It was tight as hell going back on, but it did go. The other side went on alot easier.

HELP ME PLEASE.

thanks.
-David

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Try and turn that piston in somehow, i used the tool but some say you can do it without.

OP
OP
S

scarface

I can rent the tool tomorrow Bob, I was just wondering if you thought I needed to or if it sounded like the caliper was frozen up somehow?

Doc_G

Reaction score
some times the tool doesn't work w/out some modification. heres what I did on my 95. With a shop rag over the dust boot use a good set of channel locks to turn the piston in while turning on a c-clamp (to compress it like the front) turn it a few times and add more pressure w/the clamp. you should be good to go after that.

OP
OP
S

scarface

I understand HOW to collapse the piston... I got the brakes back on without doing it, now one of them seems to be stuck against the rotor. It is smoking and getting REALLY hot.

My question was....Do I have to collapse the piston to may it operate properly, or could it just be coincidence that it seized up now?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Doc_G said:
With a shop rag over the dust boot use a good set of channel locks to turn the piston in while turning on a c-clamp (to compress it like the front) turn it a few times and add more pressure w/the clamp. you should be good to go after that.

That's what I did on mine too.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
sounds like the caliper could be locked up, i would try and compress first...but its possible that it seized.

Doc_G

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Doc_G said:
With a shop rag over the dust boot use a good set of channel locks to turn the piston in while turning on a c-clamp (to compress it like the front) turn it a few times and add more pressure w/the clamp. you should be good to go after that.

That's what I did on mine too.

Yeah I dont know who thought putting screw style pistons in the rear was a good idea but I'd like him/her to be tar'd feather'd and ridden out of town on a rail.

OP my apologies for misunderstanding your post.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Your caliper/s probably failed on you or seized up.
Don't risk your saftey replace the caliper/s.

OP
OP
S

scarface

Thanks for all of your responses Guys :) there is a pending sale on the car, so I dont want to take any chances. the guy told me he would pay for a new caliper, so I am going to just replace it I think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online