Questions about gt40 parts

rkramer19

Reaction score
So I have found 2 options on craigslist both look like they need a lot of cleaning needed. My question is are the prices reasonable for the parts and the condition they are in? I don't know anything about mustang engines and parts yet. My other question is are there different types of gt40's or are they all the same. Both craigslist posts have casting numbers and info. Where can I reference to check those numbers? If I go to get them what do I need to look for good and bad?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/4456896010.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/4449558955.html

Win

Legend
Reaction score
There are different ones

Early Explorer lower(has center hole)- to eliminate the EGR,you'll need to plug the center hole with said pipe plug. EGR coolant return line is not drilled,so you dont need to worry about that. Drilling/tapping of the #5 runner for the ACT will be required. the early Explorer lowers have a boss on the #5 runner for this to be done.

Later Explorer lower(has no center EGR hole),has no EGR coolant return line,still needs #5 runner drilled/tapped for ACT sensor. has no boss cast in for this,but the runner itself can still be tapped,just have to be very careful cuz there is not as much "meat" as the early lowers that have the boss built in

That being said,the ACT sensor can also be relocated to the air inlet tube,a few inches in front of the throttle body,so no drilling would be needed. just pull soem slack in the wires out of the factory harness,and then plug it in. Done.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Also you can find them for cheaper in better shape. Hell you can get them for that shipped off eBay.

OP
OP
R

rkramer19

Reaction score
And I could just do the relocating of the ACT and not have to worry about drilling at all? Is there anything I would need to worry about if I did it that way instead of drilling into the runner?

RichV

Reaction score
The SNs have the ACT in the inlet tube already. If you have a tube from a SN or a aftermarket SN tube, it should have the sensor hole in it.

$150 is pretty steep IMO, call around to some yards. Pulling the intake is easy and I bet they charge a lot less.

gofastbobby

Reaction score
FWIW, I found an explorer long block for $300. I pulled the top end, then sold the short block for $200. So for a hundred bucks, I have gt40 heads plus the intake.

Dugzy33

Reaction score
So I have found 2 options on craigslist both look like they need a lot of cleaning needed. My question is are the prices reasonable for the parts and the condition they are in? I don't know anything about mustang engines and parts yet. My other question is are there different types of gt40's or are they all the same. Both craigslist posts have casting numbers and info. Where can I reference to check those numbers? If I go to get them what do I need to look for good and bad?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/4456896010.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/4449558955.html

That is about what they sell for in my area on cl.
you could probably get one of them for 100.

Or if you can find them in your local junk yard it would be pretty cheap
I paid 27.50 for an upper AND lower off of an explorer.
You just have to find it before someone else does.

OP
OP
R

rkramer19

Reaction score
I know some junk yards that owe me some favors and they usually let me just go and pull what I want it's just if they have the explorers or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online