Questions about tuning and handheld tuners

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking around online and doing some thinking trying to figure out some solutions for myself currently and going forward.

I recently reached out to the Local Legend of tuning but have not heard anything back from him. Called another Mustang Speed shop locally and inquired about tuning and they only work on 07 GT500 and newer Coyote based platforms. He recommended me right back to the first guy I called, then said there was another shop close that will do 90-2000's cars but I have never heard of them good or bad.

Anyway, what kind of tuner would YOU recommend starting with that will give you some flexibility down the road with more changes. The mods I have currently are not huge changes but I have some plans for the next year or two.

Bored .020 over
Forged Rods and Pistons
Compression Ratio is 11:1
Long tube headers
O/R X-Pipe
EGR Deleted

I have seen people say its not really worth the money tuning small mods but I think there is some left on the table with my setup. I have a wideband ordered already but held off on ordering a specific tuner or tuning software. Just looking for some options and input.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you wanting to do the tuning yourself or are you wanting to still take it to the shop? I would wait for the one to call back and maybe do a drive by to say hello if you can, some shops just do not return many calls from being too busy.

Venompower

Reaction score
I have been looking around online and doing some thinking trying to figure out some solutions for myself currently and going forward.

I recently reached out to the Local Legend of tuning but have not heard anything back from him. Called another Mustang Speed shop locally and inquired about tuning and they only work on 07 GT500 and newer Coyote based platforms. He recommended me right back to the first guy I called, then said there was another shop close that will do 90-2000's cars but I have never heard of them good or bad.

Anyway, what kind of tuner would YOU recommend starting with that will give you some flexibility down the road with more changes. The mods I have currently are not huge changes but I have some plans for the next year or two.

Bored .020 over
Forged Rods and Pistons
Compression Ratio is 11:1
Long tube headers
O/R X-Pipe
EGR Deleted

I have seen people say its not really worth the money tuning small mods but I think there is some left on the table with my setup. I have a wideband ordered already but held off on ordering a specific tuner or tuning software. Just looking for some options and input.
Are you looking to stay local?

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
are you wanting to do the tuning yourself or are you wanting to still take it to the shop? I would wait for the one to call back and maybe do a drive by to say hello if you can, some shops just do not return many calls from being too busy.

I am not opposed to learning and doing it myself. Just trying to weigh options and opinions. I would do a drive by however, his shop is 2 1/2 hours away and from what I am hearing he has bought a couple other businesses lately that he hasn't been doing much with cars. Guess he is making a lot more money with the new business'.

If the price is right and the tuner is reputable I wouldn't be opposed to going outside of local. Also not trying to replace my ECU with a Holley unit atm either.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your not opposed to it, then how good are you at learning both the software and the tuning side? I hear a lot of people make it out to sound too easy on either end and I know some people are not good at learning new software, or tuning let alone both at one time.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Blankenship does remote tuning. The way i understand it, anyone that sct tunes has access to all the tune files thats ever been sct tuned from sct data base. He can get you close and will adjust as needed. Great guy to deal with.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
if your not opposed to it, then how good are you at learning both the software and the tuning side? I hear a lot of people make it out to sound too easy on either end and I know some people are not good at learning new software, or tuning let alone both at one time.

I am actually pretty quick at learning software and things in general. I definitely seek out information to fully understand things before attempting the unknown.

What is the contact info for Blankenship? Based off what you are saying I would just need a SCT Tuner and I could grab a SCT Tune from online and throw it on?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I actually just called Anderson Ford. They said 400 bucks bringing my own sct device. Small mods but stock bottom end. I can't imagine it would be too much worse

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Talked to the ever elusive tuner I have been trying to get in contact with. He said $600 and he would tune it. No requirement for a handheld device. He said he can use any kind of tuner if I had one or just flash the ECM himself after data logging and creating a tune. He is and has been the go to guy in the St. Louis area for years and I have never heard anything but great reviews about his work.

Thoughts?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
if its a ford dealer they wont shut off anything emission , most shops anymore
i think now and days it has to be on the down and low

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
from what I have been hearing almost any reputable tuner will be extremely wary about turning off egr/emission stuff now.

A tuner that is too busy to call you back is not necessarily a bad thing. If you have not heard anything bad I would swing by the shop and talk to them and see how long they are booked for to give you an idea.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Just got a call back from them this morning. Next Thursday is the day apparently. Said if everything is right with it being N/A shouldn't take more than 4 hours or so.

mike stevens

Reaction score
I'm almost ready for a tune, also. I live near Fulton, mo. Would love to hear about your experience.

Mike

tvsn95

Reaction score
Hey Guys,, Contact Adam @ Pops racing . He does remote and will let you know what can be expected without all the drama.
585-802-6911
Fun fact. Adam reverse engineered the ford stuff years ago. hell he invented a bunch of the stuff that other are using. He even trained a bunch of the " go to" guys.
Can't go wrong. BUT your stuff needs to not be problematic . Our old stuff is OLD. so tuning is getting the age related problems straight first. But he is a great resource at fixing these things and is truly sharp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online