questions bout modifyin drivetrain........

4point6GT

Reaction score
ok so my damn clutch pedle rattles, the more I accelerate the more, I think. anyways I was told it might be the throw out bearing, something to do with clutch obviously so now that I finally have the money I was wondering if the followin mods I will be purchasin are the right ones and if I need anything else.

SPEC clutch stage1
steeda clutch adjuster kit- Steeda Double Hook Quadrant
Steeda Firewall Adjuster
Steeda Clutch Cable is what the KIT IS.

the following mods are just cause I want them, they got to do with drive train too tho.

pro 5.0 short shifter
t5/t45 shifter gasket.
and leather ford shift knob.

Am I missin anything that will help me with my clutch problem ? im stickin with stock flywheel for now. thanks for ur help!

97blackgt

Reaction score
sounds like a good list...make sure to get pilot bearing, TOB, and also some good tanny fluid also

Good luck

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Spec clutches sucks!
Talk to Mity2 and numerous other guys on SN about how they liked
their Spec clutches and how fun the installation was.
I recommend you don't buy a Spec clutch for your mustang because I have heard too
many horrible stories about Spec clutches.I would get a Centerforce Dual Friciton
clutch for your mustang I loved mine when I had my mustang and I also never had
one problem with it either.The Centerforce throwout bearing is also good to use.
New pilot bearing and throwout bearing are important.You will need molybdenum
disulfide paste to put on your throwout bearing before you install it.
I wouldn't bother resurfacing your old flywheel and having the chance of the
clutch install being screwed up.Just buy and install a brand OEM steel flywheel
for your new clutch of choice.You will also want to inspect you clutch fork for any
damage or bends.If your clutch folk is damaged do yourself a favor and replace it!
Use the transmission fluid of your choice I used Royal Purple in my mustang.
I recently did a stage four clutch install in my STI and I had to replace alot of things.
All clutch installs are a ball buster lol.

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
damn it why did u have to make it sound so complicated :hammer:.....ok so besides my list I need pilot bearing, tranny fluid,molybdenum
disulfide paste.......and you recommend an OEM steel FW and a centerforce DF clutch, and to check my clutch fork...am I ready to go ?

incase clutch fork is damaged, how much they run for?.. got me a 98 gt. Thanks again man O0

Downshift

Reaction score
Are you talking about what goes between the shifter and the transmission? If you are I dont think you need that shifter gasket. You should be alright with some light silicon or something. To be honest I dont have anything and its fine.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
if you aretn pushing alot more power than stock, i would get a king cobra clutch.

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
yes thats what that shifter gasket is for, so i dont need to mess with that stuff, besides its only like 11 bucks but thanx anyways. I was just checkin centerforce clutches and flywheels...... :gtfo:...fuck man u kiddin, u guys sure spec clutches totally suck ? what other ones is there ? or u sure I wouldnt be ok with just gettin the centerforce DF clutch and stickin with my stock flywheel, I thought u only needed to replace ur FW to aluminum or steel when you were like really high modified. Im barely starting. well if thats all I need for my list to make my drive train :pimp2: guess I better start counting my ones, hope its enough, lol.

whty98

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
damn it why did u have to make it sound so complicated :hammer:.....ok so besides my list I need pilot bearing, tranny fluid,molybdenum
disulfide paste.......and you recommend an OEM steel FW and a centerforce DF clutch, and to check my clutch fork...am I ready to go ?

incase clutch fork is damaged, how much they run for?.. got me a 98 gt. Thanks again man O0

I paid around $30 for mine from the dealership when I did mine. If don't much power over stock, why not go with the FRPP King Cobra, that's what I did. They're rated for like 350 ft/lbs I think. For the flywheel, buy OEM steel, not the Centerforce FW.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
yes thats what that shifter gasket is for, so i dont need to mess with that stuff, besides its only like 11 bucks but thanx anyways. I was just checkin centerforce clutches and flywheels...... :gtfo:...f**k man u kiddin, u guys sure spec clutches totally suck ? what other ones is there ? or u sure I wouldnt be ok with just gettin the centerforce DF clutch and stickin with my stock flywheel, I thought u only needed to replace ur FW to aluminum or steel when you were like really high modified. Im barely starting. well if thats all I need for my list to make my drive train :pimp2: guess I better start counting my ones, hope its enough, lol.
The shifter gasket is a good idea because it will quiet things down.
Yes that's all you bsaicly need and I have seen OEM clutch folks going for
around $40.00.Molybdenum disulfide paste is moly assembly lube by the way.
I'm tell you don't get a Spec clutch they are the worst so,many folks that actually
know about clutches will tell you they suck.The Centerforce DF clutch has great feel,
less pedle effort,and will hold a alot of power for future mods.

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
4point6GT said:
yes thats what that shifter gasket is for, so i dont need to mess with that stuff, besides its only like 11 bucks but thanx anyways. I was just checkin centerforce clutches and flywheels...... :gtfo:...f**k man u kiddin, u guys sure spec clutches totally suck ? what other ones is there ? or u sure I wouldnt be ok with just gettin the centerforce DF clutch and stickin with my stock flywheel, I thought u only needed to replace ur FW to aluminum or steel when you were like really high modified. Im barely starting. well if thats all I need for my list to make my drive train :pimp2: guess I better start counting my ones, hope its enough, lol.
I'm tell you don't get a Spec clutch they are the worst so,many folks that actually
know about clutches will tell you they suck.The Centerforce DF clutch has great feel,

I will probably be going with CF DF clutch then, the pilot n throw out bearing are sold seperateley tho huh, they dont come with the CF clutch ? ok well the only thing diff Im doin is going with that clutch u recommended and all those other lil things I was missin. Thanks for your help ( all of you :thumb: ). its late n I got work so I will figure out how much it will be tomorrow and will let you guys see to let me know if the pricing looks fair. cya

Pennywise2

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
Pennywise2 said:
4point6GT said:

I will probably be going with CF DF clutch then, the pilot n throw out bearing are sold seperateley tho huh, they dont come with the CF clutch ? ok well the only thing diff Im doin is going with that clutch u recommended and all those other lil things I was missin. Thanks for your help ( all of you :thumb: ). its late n I got work so I will figure out how much it will be tomorrow and will let you guys see to let me know if the pricing looks fair. cya
Call Matt at Lethal Performance he will give you a great price
on the Centerforce DF clutch and Centerforce throwout bearing.
All the other parts you can get from your local Ford Dealership parts department.
1-561-620-0328 ask for Matt.

97blackgt

Reaction score
CFDF is a good clutch but a cheaper alturnative is the king cobra..its just as good for the amount of power u have. also i wouldnt bother gettin a new flywheel, unless u have the extra money to spend..

brandons98gt

Reaction score
+1 for sucky spec clutches i have one in my 98 and it has horrible chatter even after 2000 miles and i changed every single thing that had to do with the clutch, on the other hand in my 2000 gt i have a king cobra and it is the best clutch i have felt so far.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
CFDF is a good clutch but a cheaper alturnative is the king cobra..its just as good for the amount of power u have. also i wouldnt bother gettin a new flywheel, unless u have the extra money to spend..
The Centerforce DF clutch is well known to hold more power than the FRPP king cobra
clutch.You always change your flywheel everytime you change clutches you noob. :nonono:

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
ok I think Im gonna be going for king cobra clutch for now being that I only need a new clutch thats better than stock and that will solve my problem. besides who knows how long I will have this npi engine being I will hopefully have my terminator engine this summer. one thing, on the website.... www.50resto.com ......I think it is I found it for like $170 ...it says that I need metric pp( pressure plate ) bolts ( item #N602549-S51) and alignment dowel pins( item#D1FZ-6397-B ) and then I think the 3rd thing is this Ford Racing kit M-6397-A302 or is it sayin the metric pp bolts and alignment dowel pins could be found together and are Ford Racing kit M-6397-A302 ? cause thats what I found them as together....lol sorry im a lil slow its been a long week :help2:
so anyways is that all I need to be able to intall the king cobra clutch ? IF anyone can help me out with some website for a good steel fly wheel or maybe ford racing has one as well but who knows, can u help me out ? please O0

EDIT- I redid this, sorry for the ones that read my previous stupid post.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
For the 10.5" FRPP king cobra clutch you will need to purchase the metric pressure plate bolts
and alignment dowel pins for it to work.If you are just looking for a clutch to get you by then
go with the 10.5" FRPP king cobra clutch.Also just go to your local Ford Dealership parts department
and pick up a stock OEM flywheel they are only $100.00 .At $400.00+ the aftermarket
steel or aluminum flywheels are no worth it don't waste your money.

OP
OP

4point6GT

Reaction score
so even tho its a stock flywheel u think I should get a new one ? .....btw im havin trouble decidin here, but I might b going along with the pi swap unless I find a good price for a terminator engine....I had found a website awhile back where the whole pi swap was like $1300 anyone know of it or another site for me to buy it ? I dont really wanna bother with gettin used ones I wanna get it right the first time. thanks again.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
4point6GT said:
so even tho its a stock flywheel u think I should get a new one ? .....btw im havin trouble decidin here, but I might b going along with the pi swap unless I find a good price for a terminator engine....I had found a website awhile back where the whole pi swap was like $1300 anyone know of it or another site for me to buy it ? I dont really wanna bother with gettin used ones I wanna get it right the first time. thanks again.
You have to replace your flywheel when you install a brand new clutch if
you don't you are risking your clutch install being screwed up.I install clutches
on Subaru's all the time and I refuse to install any clutch for my customers
without installing a brand flywheel to go with it.It takes about five or six hours
to install a clutch on mustang I do belive how would want to do it twice?
Not me.Just go to your local Ford Dealership parts department and buy a
stock OEM flywheel they are cheap compaired to aftermarket flywheels that
are no worth it.
I would rather install just PI intake and cams instead of doing the whole PI headswap
because their is only 10-15 rwhp to be had going with the PI cylinder heads.
I had the PI intake and cams on my old mustang and I was happy with the power
and I didn't have to deal with any issues that can happen when doing the PI headswap.

97blackgt

Reaction score
you dont NEED a flywheel...i have done many and they work just fine..if your worried about it than u can have it resurfaced..whats the point of buying a new flywheel unless u absolutly need it? save that extra money for performance mods. i garentee if you just have the flywheel resurfaced u will njot have any problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online