Questions in Reference to Timing with Chip/Tunes

from6to8

Reaction score
Hey Guys, got car all back together and have trialed and errored the car with chip unplugged and timing at 10, then went to 18, then 16. Didnt get to try 14 then 12 because after I discovered my coil was bad and put the old stock coil on ,the car drove better. Also the car was temping up to about 210 with chip unplugged. With Chip plugged up it would get no higher than an average of 180-185 and as high as 195, sometimes 200. So basically i wanted to see how it would run with the chip and 10 degrees of timing after i put stock coil back on. It drives ok but it's lazier down low for sure. I am going to ponder on what to do and rather just unplug the chip and try 14, then 12 and live with the car running at about 210 which is normal operation temp for most vehicles. I don't want it to run that warm though.

When a tune is done, is 10 the sweet spot/safe number most tuners tune at for a street car, non- track car? I might just get another tune as mine was done in 05 with Autologic software and I believe Diablo. Someone I talked to said basically a tune is a waste of money and he and alot of guys car he has worked on they run them without a chip and with 18 degrees of timing. Mine ran good at 18, but it didnt see overly crisp, perfect so that's why I tried 16 and was going to try 14 then 12. So basically right now I am just wanting some questions answered. I mean if it runs great with chip unplugged and 14 or 12 and I can get the fan to turn on sooner without having to use the AC, I might just do that but just checking my options. I also wana get the A/F checked/fixed if I don't get another tune and make sure that's on point so that at least run at it's best without the new tune and chip unplugged if that's what works best

toyman

Reaction score
Fan (low speed) stock doesn't come on until about 210*F (manual says 220*) and will stay on until the temp reaches 205*F. Hi fan on at about 230*F. Factory T-stat is 195* and fully open at 205*. I'm guessing yours is a 180*F T-stat. The tune probably over-rides the factory settings.
210*F isn't hot for these engines.

Addermk2

Reaction score
timing is set to 10* for almost every tune because the computer knows it as the standard "base timing" all other timing advances are done in the spark maps in the tune.

example:

sparkcomparison_zps5d7508da.jpg

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
timing is set to 10* for almost every tune because the computer knows it as the standard "base timing" all other timing advances are done in the spark maps in the tune.

example:

sparkcomparison_zps5d7508da.jpg

What If the timing is not at 10*? What difference would there be?

Addermk2

Reaction score
Your tuner might call you names, and insist that you put it to 10*, where it belongs.

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
210-215 is optimum operating temp for this engines

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

I have the chip plugged in now and it will run on average about 180-190, sometimes creep up to 200 in stop and go . Is that bad for it to be running that cool?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010