Questions on Timing Cover Install

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by 1Fine99, Jul 5, 2015.

1. 1Fine99

1Fine99 New Member

My timing cover was leaking coolant at the water passages so I'm currently in the process of installing a new timing cover and water pump. Everything has gone fine (famous last words) so far but I have a question about the oil pan gasket. The ends of the original oil pan gasket look OK but the lower part of the gasket decided it wanted to come out with the cover. Should I leave the end pieces of the oem gasket and use a new lower seal like the one from the Fel Pro gasket kit or should I cut the gasket flush with the block and use the cork end pieces?

I've done a lot of searching and there seems to be mixed responses on the best way to do it so I'm looking for advice/opinions from those who have done it. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kb1982

kb1982 Active Member

If it is a steel core, Id leave it. I followed the cut flush with the block instructions when I did mine, and the corner cork pieces where too short afterwards. If you do cut it, make sure the corner pieces are long enough to cut it flush with the block. If you do cut it, put rtv over where the to ends meet(butt up) cork and old oil pan gasket. Be sure to put some rtv on the bottom (oil pan side) timing chain/oil pan cover seal. I had a coolant leak on the right side of my timing chain cover, and after replacing it, I have a leak in the exact same spot on the opposite side of the cover after the engine is shut off. Go figure. Guess I went too thin on the scim of rtv between the timing chain cover and gasket.

3. 1Fine99

1Fine99 New Member

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to leave what's left of the old metal/rubber oil pan gasket and use the new rubber seal in the Fel Pro gasket kit. I ordered some Motorcraft TA-31 silicone sealant so hopefully that will help prevent any oil leaks.

4. 87hurricane

87hurricane Member

I would agree. Use the new rubber seal, leave the original, pry it up and put silicone on both sides and a extra dab in the corners, you should be fine.

5. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

Agreed, leave the rubber gasket. I've done it a few times and haven't leaked. You can loosen the bolts on the pan and drop it a little if you need extra clearance to get in the guides. Just make sure the rubber gasket and the half-moon seal don't fold under the timing cover.