quick air compressor question

lrall

Reaction score
So my buddy and i are thinking of opening up a paint shop in his 'shed'(big steel building out back) and im wondering how big of a compressor we would need? He has one but idk how big it is. Anyone have an idea?

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
sounds like a bad idea to me.. a shed is a bad place to paint... its gotta be kept the right temperature.... dry...it needs to be dust and bug free .... other then that it dont sound to shabby.... either of you have automotive painting experience to know what guns you need what line dryers to get ?? you need regulators its a huge amount of money to get started... i would recomend a 240v compressor probley want a 30gal. or larger i have no clue what mine is honestly lol maybe a 60 gal. ??

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would go with a 120 gallon minimum. You will need that much volume or the compressor will run constantly.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
mines a huge vertical compressor are those all 120 gals?

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
yea thats why i put 'shed' in quotes, Hes painted like 3 vehicles, and yea he has experience lol. We have 2 Sata's at the higschool so i dunno. I wish we could use the HS shop over summer. I wonder if i could pick up a big ol boy from an auction hmmmm. So we have from 60 to 120 gal haha?

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
do you have like career centers around your area?? at ours you can pay a fee i think its 200 a year and you can use the paint booths or shop any time during after hours you just have to supply your own materials and clean up after seems like the way to go to me if they are around your area.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
tRaV_19 said:
mines a huge vertical compressor are those all 120 gals?
it should say how big it is on the compressor...and 120 gallons is huge.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
yeah its in the corner of the garage and i havent used it yet lol i need to run power to it lol....(im a electrician) haha and i have had it there for like 6 months....its the only electrical job i havent tackeled at my house yet...i need to re-run power to the garage to put in a sub panel and with the cost of wire and the frozen ground its not been on my list haha but i got a huge vertical compressor i guess i could go look at it some time and let you know

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
yea i live in a 'city' of not even 30K, we might be able to use the HS auto shop, i dunno :lame:

ripper

Reaction score
120 gal you would need a truck to move, thats friggin big. 30 gal probubly what you need. Go look at your water heater its probubly a 30 gal thats how big it will be.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
no way a 30 gallon would be enough, i had a 55 gallon a few years ago and that thing wouldn't last long enough to make a few good passes without having to air up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online