"Race" style seats for my car, rice?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that I am really tired of my factory cloth tan seats. I like the pattern but they don't hold me in place at all. Tired of sliding around. So I want some aftermarket styled "race" seats. Won't be Recaros because they're super expensive and I won't get the full benefit of them because I don't do road course nor auto x. I just want a better looking seat that is more modern looking and holds you in place. I like to take turns pretty fast on the street when its safe to do so lol. I like doing spirited driving, and canyon runs with friends once in a while. I never feel comfortable in the twisties with the stock seats.

I don't plan to do competitive racing because its way out of my budget at the moment. More of a cruiser, spirited driving, street racer (once in a while).

Is it rice of me to want "race" styled seats? I have some friends who are saying that's complete rice because they do partake in road course events. I don't want terminator seats because everyone has them, they are ugly and bulky looking, an they add more weight. I like mach seats but those are super hard to come by.

At the end of the day its my car, my money, and I really like the look. Oh and its funny because one of the guys who said that I'd be a complete ricer with those has a harness bar in his stock mustang with no harness and stock seats 0.o LOL he was jeering me about the seats so I threw that in there and he quickly said, "its a good go pro mounting point" hahahaha. Anyways, that's all small talk but I thought it was funny.

Looking at Corbeaus.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think they'd be fine. I'd stay away from bright colors like red and blue. Those usually look awful ( Ferocious is an exception).

I've been throwing around the idea of corbeaus too. Leaning more towards tmi if the their new seats turn out. Either way, no money for that right now :p

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Who cares what they think. If it makes you more comfortable, looks better and out performs the stock seats and does what you want, than I'd do it. I'm looking to get rid of my factory leather seats, feel like mush and kinda uncomfortable. I was looking into Corbeaus.

410sn95

Reaction score
With seats you really do get what you pay for. There is a reason Recaros are spendy...

That being said, if you want QUALITY seats on a budget of sorts. Look into RECARO take offs. EVO's, Audi's , etc.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Avoid the cheap or knock off brand seats. the internal structure of them is not strong enough to withstand a car crash. the last thing that you want to have happen in the event of a crash, is have your seat stabbing metal through you because it failed.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Corbeaus are great for the price. The tracks are expensive so if you can fab up some on your own you'll save a bit over $200. My corbeaus are very comfortable and the adjustability is nice if that's what you're looking for. The side bolsters do an exceptional job of keeping you in your seat during spirited driving and sharp turns. I plan on replacing my Corbeau A4's down the line with a set of FX1's. I don't care an awful lot about the adjustability myself and I don't use my rear seat so the FX1s seem like a better fit for my taste. I'll also save some money sticking with Corbeau as I already have the tracks.

As far as racing seats being rice, I disagree completely. They are designed for safety and geared towards people who actually push their cars. No one wants to be thrown around in a rigid, old seat. Even slow cars such as RSXs' come with race-style seats nowadays. As long as you don't get some cheap knockoff seat from ebay that will break and possibly kill you, I wouldn't consider it rice.

And if you have a bit of money to spend without wanting to break the bank, look at Sparco's lineup or search CL for used bride/recaros. You can get a set for relatively cheap and all you'll need is the seat tracks.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I think they'd be fine. I'd stay away from bright colors like red and blue. Those usually look awful ( Ferocious is an exception).

I've been throwing around the idea of corbeaus too. Leaning more towards tmi if the their new seats turn out. Either way, no money for that right now :p
Oh yeah no crazy colors for me, they're just going to be black. And some of those seats don't even look like race seats, they kind of just look like more modern seats if that makes sense. I'd go for TMI but I'm simply not impressed by their seat designs.

Who cares what they think. If it makes you more comfortable, looks better and out performs the stock seats and does what you want, than I'd do it. I'm looking to get rid of my factory leather seats, feel like mush and kinda uncomfortable. I was looking into Corbeaus.
Yeah, I said that in the OP somewhere and I agree. Plus I typically don't care what anyone has to say about me lol. Yeah our factory seats are mushy, Corbeaus seem great and come with a great price if you are not all that serious about serious racing.
With seats you really do get what you pay for. There is a reason Recaros are spendy...

That being said, if you want QUALITY seats on a budget of sorts. Look into RECARO take offs. EVO's, Audi's , etc.
This is true but why do I need Recaros? I'm not doing any serious racing since I don't have the bank for that, and if and when I do road race it won't be in an SN95.

Good option but obviously some fab work will be necessary for that which isn't too much of an issue as I have access to a welder and all.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Avoid the cheap or knock off brand seats. the internal structure of them is not strong enough to withstand a car crash. the last thing that you want to have happen in the event of a crash, is have your seat stabbing metal through you because it failed.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G
Yeah I don't want a metal bracket going up my anus lol. Yeah no I won't be going with knock offs. But I also won't be going with Recaros. I'm interested in Corbeaus because they are quality seats per reviews for the price.

Corbeaus are great for the price. The tracks are expensive so if you can fab up some on your own you'll save a bit over $200. My corbeaus are very comfortable and the adjustability is nice if that's what you're looking for. The side bolsters do an exceptional job of keeping you in your seat during spirited driving and sharp turns. I plan on replacing my Corbeau A4's down the line with a set of FX1's. I don't care an awful lot about the adjustability myself and I don't use my rear seat so the FX1s seem like a better fit for my taste. I'll also save some money sticking with Corbeau as I already have the tracks.

As far as racing seats being rice, I disagree completely. They are designed for safety and geared towards people who actually push their cars. No one wants to be thrown around in a rigid, old seat. Even slow cars such as RSXs' come with race-style seats nowadays. As long as you don't get some cheap knockoff seat from ebay that will break and possibly kill you, I wouldn't consider it rice.

And if you have a bit of money to spend without wanting to break the bank, look at Sparco's lineup or search CL for used bride/recaros. You can get a set for relatively cheap and all you'll need is the seat tracks.
That's what I have read. I'd probably be willing to spend the extra on the seat brackets because I know they will just be bolt in and know they won't end up failing possibly. Yeah, I am looking for comfort and adjust ability forsure since its not a strict race car. Good to hear a review from someone who has them here on the forum. The FX1s from what I gather are a more race oriented seat, and like you said if adjust ability isn't an issue then they'd be great for you. Are you planning to race your car? Just have always been curious.

Yeah I hate being thrown around in the stock seats its very unpleasant when your head is pressed against the window as you are taking a sharp turn at speed. Also, it makes for less control of the vehicle which on a canyon run is no fun. No cheap ebay seats for me. I stick with known good brands, if I can't afford a good part I save up for it. And yeah a lot of newer cars came with race seats from the factory; those RSX S seats are actually quite nice.

I've never been a fan of Sparco. They seem to be closer to the ebay knock offs to me, even though they have a few good pieces. I'll have to check CL. So, if I bought say recaro take offs off of another car, I can just purchase the correct seat tracks and they'll bolt right up?

Tekton1377

Reaction score

I'm hurt that I'm not an exception too. I think my bright red seats don't look half bad. :( lol:p jk i agree that most cars don't look good with super bright seats... but mine does...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Sparco. They seem to be closer to the ebay knock offs to me, even though they have a few good pieces. I'll have to check CL. So, if I bought say recaro take offs off of another car, I can just purchase the correct seat tracks and they'll bolt right up?

As far as i'm concerned yes they would bolt right up. Just make sure to check the dimensions from the manual of whatever car you're getting them from as they may be too tall/wide for our cars.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hurt that I'm not an exception too. I think my bright red seats don't look half bad. :( lol:p jk i agree that most cars don't look good with super bright seats... but mine does...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I can't remember yours :(

410sn95

Reaction score
...This is true but why do I need Recaros? I'm not doing any serious racing since I don't have the bank for that, and if and when I do road race it won't be in an SN95.

Good option but obviously some fab work will be necessary for that which isn't too much of an issue as I have access to a welder and all.

Recaros = good comfort, safety and fit/finish, even in OEM applications. Its not just about racing... A LOT of Euro car manufacturers use them and not for just their "race" cars.

Not bashing your other choices, just pointing out Recaros are not just "race" seats.

Caboose302

Reaction score
I really want some Recaro seats but not for 1200 bucks. I picked these Corbeau CR1s up for 600 with the brackets. The deals are out there if you have the patience.
yrejyne3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
corbeau seats ftw!!!

these are going in my wrangler so if they would be rice in a mustang...def rice in a wrangler lol. would LOVE to see these in an sn.

heres some seats i got from jegs (also available at summit) procar seats

can't find a pic of just the seats sorry. nice seats though imo

TanTop94

Reaction score
I was in the same boat you were are now in, I had stock cloth tan seats but I now have Summit black vinyl "racing" seats. I dont see how it would be rice to put in a nice set of seats. I love the fact that my seats now keep me in place however I drive, are very comfortable for it being something that is suppose to cut weight on your car...though I think they only take a few pounds off, the more expensive seats manage to cut alot of weight compared to your stock ones. It makes my car interior look 10 years newer if you look at the seats first haha; but really I completely recommend it.

410sn95

Reaction score
Picked up my recaro takeoffs for 700 NEW. Taken out of a EVO8 that was turned into a rally car. Granted this was awhile back so prices may have gone up a little but there is more choose from now as well. I am partial to the EVO 8 and 9 seats. The black leather/red stitching ones in the SSL packages (Sun, Sound and Leather) are sweet.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've got rsx seats in my car , how's that for rice lol . I also have the same roll cage as him .

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
As far as i'm concerned yes they would bolt right up. Just make sure to check the dimensions from the manual of whatever car you're getting them from as they may be too tall/wide for our cars.
Oh yeah that is true, I'd have to measure them out to make sure they fit right. But looks like someones already done that from an EVO8 so they work.

Recaros = good comfort, safety and fit/finish, even in OEM applications. Its not just about racing... A LOT of Euro car manufacturers use them and not for just their "race" cars.

Not bashing your other choices, just pointing out Recaros are not just "race" seats.
Yeah I see what you mean, but when I call them race seats its because I mean they are the upper trim and are also better suited for racing. I get you what you are saying and I agree. Yeah a lot of high end cars use recaros. The ones in the new ST and the mustangs are so damn comfy. I just don't want to pay that much more for seats lol. I think Corbeaus will be just fine, they are also quality seats just not recaro quality.

I really want some Recaro seats but not for 1200 bucks. I picked these Corbeau CR1s up for 600 with the brackets. The deals are out there if you have the patience.
yrejyne3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Nice I like those seats you got. And I agree, I'm not about to pay the price for the recaros. Locally nothing is available though. There's only 2 sets of recaros and they're both trash. Zero Corbeaus. Around here people don't buy seats used and rarely any car parts used lol. I think I'd rather pay the new price, however that's the mind set in the area I'm in so its caught on haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrence