NEW EDG's Pro Street 2002 GT

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you can't tell by my screen name and the title of this thread I obviously have a plan for how I want this car to look. At the beginning of the day I bought a bone stock 2002 Zinc Yellow GT 5-Speed. But it won't stay that way for long. Plans include an MMR 5.2L Boss Block High Compression 2V with Trick Flow Heads and an NX Plate jetted for 300hp. In the near term my focus is getting the T-56 swap done and the 31 Spline 4.30 rear end. Will then work in a full Maximum Motorsports suspension package and so on down the line. Below is a link to my build sheet if you'd like to follow along. Yellow means purchased but not installed and Green means purchased and installed:

Build Sheet

So I have only been able to get to the Mach 1 Grille Delete, JLT CAI, JLT Oil Separator and Accufab Upper Plenum/70mm TB combo. I have done the Bullitt Gas and Dead Pedals but needed to step away and regroup before making another attempt at the clutch and brake. They had me inventing cuss words. Wasn't planning to do brakes this early in the project but had to out of necessity(rears are toast) and found a cheapo Power Stop kit to hold me over until I get bigger wheels to fit some 14" Baer Brakes.

A couple pics of where things stand:
PXL_20211126_023609110.MP.jpg
PXL_20211126_023624306.MP.jpg
PXL_20211112_031903783.MP.jpg
PXL_20211103_022422876.MP.jpg

Car will mainly be used for street driving but I plan to use it for everything from AutoX and Open Track to the Drag Strip. Looking forward to sharing my progress.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Awesome, I’m looking forward to the build! May I ask why you’re building the 2v instead of doing a coyote swap? You’re going to spend crazy money on the block and heads. You could definitely go coyote cheaper and have more daily power right out of the box.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome, I’m looking forward to the build! May I ask why you’re building the 2v instead of doing a coyote swap? You’re going to spend crazy money on the block and heads. You could definitely go coyote cheaper and have more daily power right out of the box.
I honestly can't stand the way Coyote's sound. I'm not chasing specific power numbers or ET's just want to have fun. Not worth the complexity of the swap to me. I also like that the 2v gets no love anymore. Makes it less boring.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I honestly can't stand the way Coyote's sound. I'm not chasing specific power numbers or ET's just want to have fun. Not worth the complexity of the swap to me. I also like that the 2v gets no love anymore. Makes it less boring.
I understand that entirely. I went through 7 or 8 exhaust setups before I got my coyote swap to sound good. The 2v always sounds better. I enjoy my 2v’s also. I went down a pretty long road with them lol.

Carry on then, I’ll go back to my corner and watch.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that entirely. I went through 7 or 8 exhaust setups before I got my coyote swap to sound good. The 2v always sounds better. I enjoy my 2v’s also. I went down a pretty long road with them lol.

Carry on then, I’ll go back to my corner and watch.
Yeah I can't imagine putting $50k+ into a car and then hating the way it sounds. Your 7-8 exhaust hunt is exactly the rabbit hole I am trying to avoid. For this same reason I know newer straight through mufflers might make a few extra ponies but the Flowmaster 40 Series just sound perfect on a 2v to me.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I've had a bit of a rethink as I've been driving this car more and realizing the amount of time I actually have to work on it and drive it especially with baby #2 on the way. I've decided to simplify the build a bit to more of a street/strip build rather than try to build the unicorn car that is great everywhere. I updated the build sheet link in th original post so folks can follow along. But the cliff notes on the key changes are less body work, smaller wheels & brakes and moving to a Procharger D1SC build. Since I made this chnage in plans I returned the cheapo Power Stop brakes and ordered 13" Baers with 6-Piston Calipers at all four corners. Hoping to get those in the next week or so and it looks like my Bendpak 2-Post lift should show up finally next week as well. In the meantime I've added a Steeda Triax shifter to hold me over until I do the T56 swap. The other reason I did this was because I was torn between the Steeda Triax and MGW for the T56 swap and figured I would just try Triax and if I like it stay with it and if I don't move to the MGW later.

pxl_20211211_125206311-mp-jpg.13990

Driven the car a handful of times since install and couldn't be happier. Install was very easy, everything fit like a glove and I used the Cobra Bob gaskets to save some time, save some mess and to quiet things down. I have previous experience with Pro 5.0 and Hurst on T5s in the early 2000s so it's been a while but this is definitely an improvement from what I remember. The throw is shorter than the Hurst and much quieter operation than the Pro 5.0. The Triax seems more stiffly sprung which might loosen up a bit over time, but shifts from 2nd-3rd are near impossible to miss. I will be going Triax on the T56 swap for sure.

Currently toying with the idea of rebuilding the rear end with 31 splines and 4.10s when I do the rear brakes as well. We'll see how things progress in the next few weeks.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Man it sounds like your busy!
Glad you're happy with the Triax, its performance sounds impressive.
I was kinda wondering how it was going. I'm gonna check out the build sheet link.
What was the body work that you decided to forego?
I'm also interested in seeing what you end up doing with the rear end.
You said we'll see how things progress within the next few weeks, so I'm assuming that your new family addition is expected more than a few weeks away.
Sounds like you have no shortage of exciting times bro!
(And more on the way..) :D
Thanks for the update, I'm already looking forward to the next one!
Good luck with the awesome ride and the little blessing on its way!
Cheers!
G

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
t was the body work that you decided to forego?
I'm also interested in seeing what you end up doing with the rear end.
You said we'll see how things progress within the next few weeks, so I'm assuming that your new family addition is expected more than a few weeks away.
Baby is due in June, so I have some time there. The progress is based around the lift. I have kind of been in stand by mode waiting for it. Was originally supposed to be here mid November. Looks like it will get to my installer finally today or tomorrow. Still have to schedule a day with them once it does get delivered. Once I clear that hurdle I can start knocking more items off the list.

The body work items I knocked off were down force items. If I'm not going to open track the car no point in a Cobra R wing and splitter. Also no point in a Carter's Customs diffuser or side splitters. Was planning on 03 Cobra side skirts with the splitters but I will probably stay stock there too. I may decide to do them later, but no longer part of the plan for now.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Right on.
Man that sounds like quite the sacrifice, but that will cut some serious spendage.
But hey, beings a caring father, I totally understand and I respect that in ya.
I'm tellin you bro, your ride looks GREAT the way it is, ...but on the other hand, I sure can see those side skirts and splitters in Zink Yellow too. :p

I know track is way more thrilling, but street and strip is still pretty fun.
Maybe the best is to come later. I can say one thing most assuredly;
I think everyone and their cousin here are rooting for you to finally get some lift time! LOL
:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online