Radiator/expansion tank question

bluex

Reaction score
My 96 has a leaky expansion tank. I'm aware 96 is a lone year when it comes to cooling systems. I found a thread where a guy swapped in a 94/95 radiator and did away with the expansion tank on a 98. It's an older thread though so I'm wondering if anyone here has done it?

I can get a 94/95 radiator cheaper than this stupid plastic tank is why I'm asking. I also know the 94/95 had an overflow/catch tank but it's considerably cheaper since it isnt pressurized. I'm either going to go this route or upgrade it all to 97+ spec stuff.

Does anyone know what the difference is in the 96 tank an the 97-98 one? If I upgrade to the 97+ fan/rad I might also use the 99+ tank of to get rid of the sensor as well, providing that's the only difference in the 97-98 an 99+ tanks.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
Yes you can man that was my game plan for my car
You have anymore info about it? I'm assuming you use the 94/95 overflow as well? What about the lower hose? I was also wondering if there are any issues with air pockets?

Ineedav8

Reaction score
No experience to speak of moneys been tight but plan to do it as soon as i replace my core support as for 94/95 overflow you can use a regular catch can or overflow from summit is where i bought mine lower radiator hose i believe someone used an upper off a lincoln but i was just going to run a straight to block the previous overflow as for air pockets i believe not a problem as long as you burp it like a 5.0 squeezeing the upper hose

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
Ok thanks man. The local pull a part just got a 94 in last week so I might go check it out an see if anything is worth getting off it.

Ineedav8

Reaction score
I was going to grab this perfect clean brandspanking new radiator out of a new edge v6 i thought same as 5.0 for some reason but id rather buy a griffin radiator

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Summit has a radiator that stuffs foxes for cheap like $180 all aluminum 3 core sexiness i plan on picking something like that up whenever i get some extra money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online