Radiator Fan Problems

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I am having an issues with my cooling fan. I am using a Dakota Digital 2750 controller. I have it programmed to run a two speed fan. When I go to test the fan manually on the controller the LOW/HIGH speeds are the same. Doesn't make any sense. I have tested the voltage at the fan plug connector. When I turn on the low speed you can hear the relay click, then I get 12v at the connector on the low pin. When I turn on the high speed I hear the second relay click and then I get 12V at the connector on the high pin. I swapped the wires going to the High and Low pins and Its the same issue. I also tried programming the controller as a 2 fan set up. Low speed powers 12v to the low pin, High speed Powers 12v to the low pin and the high pin simultaneously. I have a brand new stock replacement fan, I thought the first one may have been defective so I ordered a second one from a different brand and am having the same issue. I have no idea why the fan is only running one speed. My temps are sitting at 210 and not coming down with the fan running continuously. The car has new heads, new gaskets, new water pump, new aluminum 3 core radiator. The is fan just not kicking on the high speed when temps exceed 200 for some reason.

I don't have the fan running through the CCRM and not sure how to wire it back into the CCRM the car had the dakota digital controller when I bought it a few years ago. If anyone has a picture of the wiring diagram to wire the relays and fan back into the CCRM that be great. In my tune it was set for low fan to turn on at 190 and off at 184 and high speed to turn on at 200 and off at 194. I programmed the dakota digital the same, this is per Adam Marre's request from POPs Racing/Core Tuning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Just to be clear on this diagram. The low speed and High speed fan relays are internal of the actual CCRM? So the relays I have wired into the Dakota digital fan controller don't need to be reused. I can just run new wire from the Red/Org and Org/Lt Blu down to the pins on the fan and I'm good to go?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes the relays are in the ccrm and if it works they will control it. The ccrm has been known to have issues just from age and I would have to think that if they went through the trouble of buying and installing a fan controller that there had to be an issue. I would test the output before you run any wires and be sure all the fuses are good prior to as well.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
yes the relays are in the ccrm and if it works they will control it. The ccrm has been known to have issues just from age and I would have to think that if they went through the trouble of buying and installing a fan controller that there had to be an issue. I would test the output before you run any wires and be sure all the fuses are good prior to as well.
I bought it from a guy that was too cheap to tune his ported GT40p set up with TFS-1 cam. Instead he had adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the pressure bumped up and timing advanced manually. If I was a betting man I’d say the fan controller was to get it to turn on at a lower temp (phx az summer temps) vs it not working. Anyways before I disable all the wiring for the standalone controller it’s worth a shot to run wires from the CCRM and see if it turns on. the. I can get rid of the mess of the controller and extra relays.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would take a volt meter or test light to the wires first. I needed a tune with my tfs-1 cam as well but none of that would have kept the fan from working.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
So the ccrm kicked the fan on. I can’t tell if the fans are running 2 speeds or not. Atleast I know I can get rid of the controller and clean up the extra relays and wiring. Why the hell would two different stock replacement fans not work

MrMustang

Reaction score
Where did you buy the fans? From what I have seen a lot of the replacement fans are one speed, even though the connectors look like stock.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Where did you buy the fans? From what I have seen a lot of the replacement fans are one speed, even though the connectors look like stock.
I ordered one from summit racing and the other from CJ pony parts. Both only ran on a single speed regardless of which terminal was powered up.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I burnt up 4 replacement fans from oreilly. They would work for a month and the motors would burn up. I ended up custom ordering a fan and shroud from Delta PAG. It’s a brushless fan and moves some freakin air.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most fans will only have 2 wires. That doesn't necessarily mean its a one speed fan unless its only hooked up to a car like ours that uses 2 wires to control speed. I have not had mine on long enough to say that its good or bad for longevity yet all I know is that it moved more air than the mishimoto crap fan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online