radiator fan won't kick on

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i finished my pi intake swap. i filled it up with water and ran it up to temp to kind of flush out the cooling system. my gauge rose up to where it normally runs when warmed up but the radiator fan won't kick on. at what temp does the fan usually kick on? i'm not throwing any codes as of yet but the engine compartment just seems to be to warm for the fan not to kick on. the heater vents on the inside are blowing hot air. i already checked the fan fuse. anyone know why the fan wont kick on or is this normal?

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
cmon some had to of had this problem before. i know the fan works because i unhooked one of the coolant sensors and the fan kicked on. i shut the car off and went to restart it and it would not start. plugged the sensor back in and it started fine. so that sensor somehow affects if it starts or not. still lookin for answers. the water was boiling when i went to drain it so it was def. up past 200 degrees which makes me wonder why the fan didnt kick on. anyone? anyone?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you but it won't hurt.

"Mark, the 94's do have electric fans and this is most likely the cause based on the described symptoms. Arod, you might have to do some diagnostics to find out why if the fan doesn't work. This is a very complex system, doubly so if it has A/C. Obviously check all your fuses, especially the 60 amp fan fuse, there is a fan control relay that is fairly cheap if you would like to try and plug one in to see if that fixes it, you could also check for power and ground with a test light at the fan motor when it is close to overheating (so that you know the fan should be on) if it has power and ground but the fan is not spinning, then the motor is likely bad. Beyond that, the system is controled by the Powertrain Control Module (the main computer) based on inputs from the coolant temp sensor and A/C demands so you would need a good working knowlege of electrical system, wiring schematics, scan tool, voltmeter, etc.

One other thing, it is imperitive you have a 50/50 coolant/water mix in the cooling system and a radiator cap that holds proper pressure. Parts of the engine run hotter than the boiling temp of plain water so without coolant or a working pressure cap, the water can boil at these spots and therefor push the rest of the water right out through the radiator cap relief valve! Suddenly there is less water, causing more overheat, causing more boiling...big vicious cycle causing endless boil-overs and overheating. "

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
that last paragraph was intriguing. when i ran it the first time, it was with straight water because i was flushing it. i put 50/50 mix in it but didnt run it up to normal running temp. what i need to know it was temp the fan should kick on at. anyone know?

thanks for the info it got me thinkin O0

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help either but it seems to match your symptoms. Too bad they don't really give an answer. I'll keep looking.

Question: 2002 Ford Mustang mileage: 65,000. I'm having a problem with the electric cooling fan. The fan will not come on which causes the car to run hot. The fan motor works when straight wired to the battery. It also works if I remove the wire from the electric fan switch and ground it. During troubleshooting I have replaced the electric fan switch, the a/c-cooling fan module and air temperature sensor. This is why I replaced the fan switch. Also note that the a/c compressor does not kick in, unless I jumper it at the accumulator press switch. When this is done the compressor kicks in and the electric fan kicks in, remove the jumper and compressor kicks out (like it should) and the fan runs for a few seconds (like it should) before cutting off. Also note the code scanner does not give any trouble codes. It all checks out fine. What have I missed? I have spent numerous hours troubleshooting and looking at wiring diagrams, with very small print, I'm stumped!

Answer: We would check for a faulty radiator cap.

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
got'er licked i believe. twas a bad sensor. i unhooked the sensor all together and the fan ran so i knew the fan worked. i just didnt know at what temperature the fan is supposed to kick on.

G

GREG@SN95

well...

You're not supposed to kick the fan to turn it on...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online