Radiator flush question and plug gap

Motojoe

Reaction score
Hey guys. Maybe you could help me out. I bought the prestone radiator flush kit. I'm going to install the t fitting into the heater core line. Drain the radiator. Flush it with water while it's at operating temperature. Now here comes the question. Once it's flushed out with hose water I'm going to drain the radiator.

What do I refill the radiator with? There will be water in the block so should I pour straight antifreeze in the radiator? Will that be equil to the amount of water in the block? Or just do 50/50 and it will be a little diluted from the water in the block.

Once its it stopped off will I need to burp it. I know I can unscrew the temp sensor on the manifold, but is there another way.

Sorry for the newbie questions but I've never had to flush a radiator before and I'm scared I'll get air pockets and overheat the car.

Also so I bought ngk plugs. American muscle was out of motorcraft plugs. What's the gap for a 4.6 sohc

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I admit, even after as much experience I have, burping can be a pain.

Start by draining the system and then refill with straight water and a jug of vinegar. Bring to temp while massage squeezing the upper radiator hose until you think its burped. It also helps to put you front end up or car on an incline. Add more water untill she's full, then drain again. The color of water will depict how many more times you will need to clear flush. Doing this reduces cost of your flush kit. When your comfortable about the color of drain, use your flush kit. This can easily turn out to be an all day thing, so set a day aside. When refilling back the antifreeze, just get the 50/50 for simplicity. Otherwise youll need to do the math of correct solution and use distilled water. Never use tap water for your final fill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online