Random newbe SN95 upgrade post

FEAST SN95 JPN

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

We are new to this board, and with this post, we are looking for some help.

Our car is an SN95 GT and is a stinkin auto slush box. We have plans of doing a T-5 or Tremec 3550 or something in the future, but in the mean time a few mods will work.

To date, we have bought the following.

CAI
1.7 FRPP roller rockers
BBK 1 5/8 shorty headers
3/4" phenoic spacer

Now with the given upgrades, we were thinking of doing the intake, but with so many being available on the market, its a tuff pick.

Naturally, the first one that caught our eye was the performance products unit., due to the cheap price. Is this a good intake, has anyone tried it out?

The next one is the cobra or GT-40, but were not to sure.

So rather than go on and on, what everyones take on the mod list. And are we missing any thing?

Thanks,
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
The pro products is a cheap intake for a good reason.......................ITS CHEAP, it has rough runners and ports and I mean ROUGH. The quality of airflow would be pissy, stay away from it. If your looking for something affordable I would say the Cobra is about as good as far as budget minded intakes go. The standard for performance has always been GT-40 and Edelbrock. However there is a ass load of quality intakes on the market now so the choices are endless, if if was me I would go with a old school GT-40 with the ported lower (but thats just my choice) im sure there is many diffrent opinions on this. The new BBK intake is getting good reviews as of right now so it may be one you want to look into. Also a cam and a set of heads would be a nice addition :) Oh yea pulleys, tb, mass air, h-pipe would be good too if you dont have them already.
 

FEAST SN95 JPN

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
The pro products is a cheap intake for a good reason.......................ITS CHEAP, it has rough runners and ports and I mean ROUGH. The quality of airflow would be pissy, stay away from it. If your looking for something affordable I would say the Cobra is about as good as far as budget minded intakes go. The standard for performance has always been GT-40 and Edelbrock. However there is a ass load of quality intakes on the market now so the choices are endless, if if was me I would go with a old school GT-40 with the ported lower (but thats just my choice) im sure there is many diffrent opinions on this. The new BBK intake is getting good reviews as of right now so it may be one you want to look into. Also a cam and a set of heads would be a nice addition :) Oh yea pulleys, tb, mass air, h-pipe would be good too if you dont have them already.

Hi There,

thanks for your input. I could understand that the internals of the PP intake is rough at best. Now with the GT-40 lower, whats the largest port size, the stock E-7's could handle before having air stability problems. I guess you could compare the port size to FELPRO gaskets.

thanks,
 

94GT

New Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
4.10 Gear, most bang for the buck. The Car will take off like a rocket!
 

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Retired Staff
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
11,861
Reaction score
58
Location
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
FEAST SN95 JPN said:
Oh & BTW, will the 87-93 GT-40 fit on the SN95? I know Ill need the intake elbow.

with the intake elbow Im pretty sure it will fit fine?

yeah gears are deff a good bang for the buck, and underdrive pulleys.
 

FEAST SN95 JPN

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
94GT said:
4.10 Gear, most bang for the buck. The Car will take off like a rocket!

I think the gears would be an awesome upgrade, but im a little worried about the installation within Japan. Something to think about in the future.
 

Julian Moore

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
The GT-40 upper and lower, which have been discontinued by Ford this year, (upper-M-9461-A50/lower M-9424-A51) will fit the 94/95 Gt's with the addition of an inlet elbow (M-9927-A50) or you can do what a lot of guys on the Corral have done, switch your setup to the 93 Throttle body and spacer. I like the trick flow, holley and edelbrock. I just got rid of a GT-40, still the best looking intake on the market!!
 

FEAST SN95 JPN

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Julian Moore said:
The GT-40 upper and lower, which have been discontinued by Ford this year, (upper-M-9461-A50/lower M-9424-A51) will fit the 94/95 Gt's with the addition of an inlet elbow (M-9927-A50) or you can do what a lot of guys on the Corral have done, switch your setup to the 93 Throttle body and spacer. I like the trick flow, holley and edelbrock. I just got rid of a GT-40, still the best looking intake on the market!!

I would actually like to change to the 87-93 TB/EGR spacer style, but thing thats holding me back is the longer throttle cable & trans kick-down linkage. I would think that there would be a bindage issue??
 

Z28 This

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
458
Reaction score
0
94GT said:
4.10 Gear, most bang for the buck. The Car will take off like a rocket!


4.10s on a completely stock internal 5.0 is kinda over kill to me...on a H/C/I 5.0 yes...but 5.0s almost stock stop there powerband at around 5k 4.6 on other hand are high rev cars so 4.10s on them wouldnt be as bad me personally id go 3.73 till u get some engine work then go with higher gears
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
2
Z28 This said:
94GT said:
4.10 Gear, most bang for the buck. The Car will take off like a rocket!


4.10s on a completely stock internal 5.0 is kinda over kill to me...on a H/C/I 5.0 yes...but 5.0s almost stock stop there powerband at around 5k 4.6 on other hand are high rev cars so 4.10s on them wouldnt be as bad me personally id go 3.73 till u get some engine work then go with higher gears

Glad I checked back in on this thread, I agree I think 4:10's is over kill for this application 3:55 or 3:73's would be the max for this. The 5.0 motors make good low end tq so the steep gears is not necessary, and with the mods planed the power band will increase with no affect on the low rpm power production. Leave the 4:10's and steeper gears to the smaller displacement modular cars.
 

Z28 This

Active Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
458
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
Z28 This said:
94GT said:
4.10 Gear, most bang for the buck. The Car will take off like a rocket!


4.10s on a completely stock internal 5.0 is kinda over kill to me...on a H/C/I 5.0 yes...but 5.0s almost stock stop there powerband at around 5k 4.6 on other hand are high rev cars so 4.10s on them wouldnt be as bad me personally id go 3.73 till u get some engine work then go with higher gears

Glad I checked back in on this thread, I agree I think 4:10's is over kill for this application 3:55 or 3:73's would be the max for this. The 5.0 motors make good low end tq so the steep gears is not necessary, and with the mods planed the power band will increase with no affect on the low rpm power production. Leave the 4:10's and steeper gears to the smaller displacement modular cars.


well said... :banana:
 

Eastcoast5.0

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
I second the cheapness of Professional Products. I got a new polished TB from them (because it was cheap) and the 4 holes that slide into the studs of the intake wern't properly drilled. It would get stuck and didn't even touch the intake, I had to bore them out so it would fit. :lame:
 

FEAST SN95 JPN

New Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone. Havent been around much. And just wanted to say the SN95 is no longer around. Damaged the second gear and also the motor got hurt. I have howerver since bought a older 91 LX convterible. Going through some basic resto and should be ready soon.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
74,599
Messages
1,449,053
Members
13,437
Latest member
rjankow661
Top