random? v6 vs. v8 weight distribution

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by sxynerd, May 12, 2014.

1. sxynerd

sxynerd Well-Known Member

Just a random question while I'm on the think tank. What's the weight distribution Front and rear of both.

2. Burninrock24

Burninrock24 Active Member

I know the GTs are 57/43. Don't know about V6s. I don't think there's a huge difference weight wise when the motors are fully dressed. I'd go out on a limb and say less than the weight of a 10 year old.

3. sxynerd

sxynerd Well-Known Member

Discounting the driver, what major fabrications could be done to balance it out more. In some of the old hot rods we'd just notch the firewall and push the drive train back a few inches.

In the SN's case I don't see that as being possible while keeping a full accessory engine. IRS could add handling and lessen unsprung weight to the rear while a Kmember could lighten the front.

4. Burninrock24

Burninrock24 Active Member

Aluminum explorer block saves like 75lbs if I remember right. A/C delete is around 30, K member, tubular A arms, aftermarket exhaust trims a lot believe it or not. IRS would add weight to the rear which is a good thing considering it out trades the SRA in terms of handling.

5. JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz Well-Known Member

K-member/coil over setup for the front end. Theres not really much you can do unless you start stripping interior pieces which is unpleasant and rough for the ride.

List of Weight saving mods:
    K-member/Coil over
    Aluminum driveshaft
    Aluminum flywheel
    Light weight brakes
    Light weight wheels
    Rear-seat delete
    Spare tire removed
    Racing Seats

IF you add all those up you could save about 300-400lbs which can put you around 2900lbs+.