Rare front splitter or custom?

MadStang

Reaction score
I was just about to post this picture when I opened up the thread. This one flows even better than the one in the OP.I'll chat with the owner next time I see him. Just didn't feel like it at the show because he was a big, pissed off looking dude.
i hate reading this because I'm a function guy. it's not supposed to be about looks, it has a function and that function is front downforce...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
i hate reading this because I'm a function guy. it's not supposed to be about looks, it has a function and that function is front downforce...

They each have their time and place(function and form). Unfortunately if its not on a race car then its just for looks right? I think the irony there is that a short time on some semi-rough roads or speed bumps and suddenly it will not be a cosmetic, at least not a + cosmetic addition.

Make a what....?

:handz:
I thought the same thing, but didn't really care enough...

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah but who says you can't have a functional part that doesn't look good too? They both look great imo and both have the potential to serve a purpose. Win-win.
That's why I love mine. It looks great, which is what I was going for, and if I ever wanted, I could actually put it to some use.

PS: Hope all is well up there for you and your family. Watching the news has me worried sick about all you northern San Diegans.

Burninrock24

Reaction score

Functional comes with perspective though, if I had to drive your car on a daily basis I don't think I would really say it was all that functional haha

MadStang

Reaction score
Yeah but who says you can't have a functional part that doesn't look good too? They both look great imo and both have the potential to serve a purpose. Win-win.
That's why I love mine. It looks great, which is what I was going for, and if I ever wanted, I could actually put it to some use.

PS: Hope all is well up there for you and your family. Watching the news has me worried sick about all you northern San Diegans.

functional part that looks good means you're sacrificing function. hate to say it but your splitter doesn't do anything more than "look good". There is a specific way splitters need to be designed as far as the curvature goes and the size of the vertical splitter apron plane largely attributes to the amount of downforce generated. If you look at mine that's why I have abs splitter apron right above it. without a 100% vertical plane above the splitter it's doing nothing. especially since the undersides of our cars are not flat so as soon as the air passes the splitter it slows back down negating any sort of pressure areas.

thanks man I'm good up here and unfortunately at work lol

MadStang

Reaction score
Functional comes with perspective though, if I had to drive your car on a daily basis I don't think I would really say it was all that functional haha

and that's why when my car was a daily driver i didn't have a splitter on it. functional parts especially a splitter and wing don't have any point on a street car.

MadStang

Reaction score
The taller the apron, the smaller the splitter.

ydetygag.jpg

The bigger the splitter, the smaller the apron.

4527B97D-0508-482F-B292-63FE60C60E12.jpg

darinmasse

Reaction score
and that's why when my car was a daily driver i didn't have a splitter on it. functional parts especially a splitter and wing don't have any point on a street car.

I agree completly you know that at some point you have seen a ricer with a ridiculous body lot and a huge spoiler and just lauphed cuz there's no need for that much rear down force on a front wheel drive and a spoiler that big isn't needed for anything look at NASCAR spoilers there tiny and the car does over 200 mph

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2

ProKiller

Reaction score
they are growing on me. I have been kicking around the idea of making my own version of the CDC ultimate aero shield and working in a slight diffuser into it as well.

make two of them while you're at it

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I would love to get more info on that red sn95, even tho his might not be 100% functional it will still create some type of downforce imo, thats the point of a splitter. I just want my cake and eat it too. It can look good while being some what functional.

If we really want to mix the pot, the side scoops on our cars serve no purpose in function, they just look good. Ford made the 1994-1995 V6/GT/Cobra side scoops functional but they stopped it doing it.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The taller the apron, the smaller the splitter.

ydetygag.jpg

The bigger the splitter, the smaller the apron.

4527B97D-0508-482F-B292-63FE60C60E12.jpg

Looks good, what material specifically did you use for your apron? Haven't even had a front bumper on my car for at least a month and I'm going to redo the apron section

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Side Scoops serve no purpose what so ever.. why would a street car need the down force from a splitter.

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

MadStang

Reaction score
I would love to get more info on that red sn95, even tho his might not be 100% functional it will still create some type of downforce imo, thats the point of a splitter. I just want my cake and eat it too. It can look good while being some what functional.

If we really want to mix the pot, the side scoops on our cars serve no purpose in function, they just look good. Ford made the 1994-1995 V6/GT/Cobra side scoops functional but they stopped it doing it.

all 94-04 scoops are functional. remove the honey comb and route a hose to whatever you want to cool.

I disagree with the whole concept of adding a splitter for looks and some performance. I can guarantee that you will never feel a difference with the splitter setups that have been posted in this thread. drive my car with and without the front assembly and you'll see just how much of a difference a properly built splitter makes.

another point id like to make is if you are not able to jump up and down on your splitter it has no business being on the car. if the splitter bends when you stand on it that bending negates any downforce that would be created if it were stable. all of my splitter designs have been test by 240lbs worth of guy jumping on the splitter assembly..

MadStang

Reaction score
Looks good, what material specifically did you use for your apron? Haven't even had a front bumper on my car for at least a month and I'm going to redo the apron section

ABS plastic. they have my template at the plastics shop I use on the 3d printer for whenever I need new cuts, thinking about adding another inch worth to the apron to create more of the dam effect.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
ABS plastic. they have my template at the plastics shop I use on the 3d printer for whenever I need new cuts, thinking about adding another inch worth to the apron to create more of the dam effect.

Thats what I suspected. Moar downforce!

MadStang

Reaction score
Thats what I suspected. Moar downforce!

lol I'm going to need to balance it for sure with the new spoiler going on the back. that thing is going to generate nearly double the rear downforce at lower speed but also increase drag heavily.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
all 94-04 scoops are functional. remove the honey comb and route a hose to whatever you want to cool.

I disagree with the whole concept of adding a splitter for looks and some performance. I can guarantee that you will never feel a difference with the splitter setups that have been posted in this thread. drive my car with and without the front assembly and you'll see just how much of a difference a properly built splitter makes.

another point id like to make is if you are not able to jump up and down on your splitter it has no business being on the car. if the splitter bends when you stand on it that bending negates any downforce that would be created if it were stable. all of my splitter designs have been test by 240lbs worth of guy jumping on the splitter assembly..

What I mean by functional is that from the factory they serve no purpose in cooling. Now I understand if you purposely route a hose from the scoop to the brakes then you have point, but most people are not going to do it. If you look at the older sn95's doing burnouts you can see smoke coming out the scoop. It was neat feature had on the car but if your driving down the highway some what spirited its not going to cool anything lol. I like the hose idea tho!

Now for the splitter I would put the 2 bars for support like in the original picture. I looked at Poxenham pictures and I think they mount inside the bumper connected to a steel bar. I understand where your coming from madstang, but there has to be some type of downforce with a splitter bolted to the bumper right?

MadStang

Reaction score
What I mean by functional is that from the factory they serve no purpose in cooling. Now I understand if you purposely route a hose from the scoop to the brakes then you have point, but most people are not going to do it. If you look at the older sn95's doing burnouts you can see smoke coming out the scoop. It was neat feature had on the car but if your driving down the highway some what spirited its not going to cool anything lol. I like the hose idea tho! Now for the splitter I would put the 2 bars for support like in the original picture. I looked at Poxenham pictures and I think they mount inside the bumper connected to a steel bar. I understand where your coming from madstang, but there has to be some type of downforce with a splitter bolted to the bumper right?
No. Mounting it directly to the bumper will only cause bumper deflection as air hits it. all you risk doing is bending the bumper, destroying the headlight panel where the bumper attaches and destroying the tabs on the side of the bumper. This follows the same idea as wing on the trunk. You can't just bolt a wing to our trunks and expect it to handle 500-1000lbs worth of downforce it will see. the 99-04 trunks will crack the fiberglass and the person behind you is going to get a windshield full of wing. the 94-98's trunks will bend (since they are steel) and you could potentially lose the wing in this case as well. If you do not reinforce the mounting points, I have a total of 8 solid mounts to the chassis, 3 adjustable rods to change the angle of the front of the splitter, 5 adjustable splitter rods from longacre to control the angle of the rest of the splitter and lastly i pinned the splitter to the splitter apron. The whole idea here is to have a SOLID mounting point but at the same time if you were to smash the splitter on the ground, instead of the force transferring through the chassis and potentially bending the frame, the splitter breaks away doing minimal to no damage to the car.Trust me a lot of engineering and design have gone into my splitters. Wind tunnel testing was done as well with the COT wing we run on the back. I wanted to make sure that the setup was safe, reliable, and did it's job as it should.Also I'd like to just make a note, I'm not against you guys running splitters on the street. In fact, I plan on designing a setup for the miata, just don't try to shit the shitter and tell me that it functions. Because I can tell you first hand that it doesn't. this was splitter version 1 and it didn't do a damn thing except slice cones in half. Without a splitter apron a splitter is technically useless.
812561_492368014185888_900979709_o.jpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So much tech. My head is going to explode. :handz:

I've learned alot from this thread though, good info as usual Brett! :slowclap:

And my splitter is functional in it's function being looking cool and scraping driveways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online