rattlin noise from front suspension

tizzle0469

Reaction score
Front end rattles around a lot when driving. Had the front wheels off recently and checked the bolts and steering parts. Didn't feel any play or anything.. any ideas? Springs/shocks? Bushings?

Caboose302

Reaction score
Is everything stock or do you have some aftermarket components? Is it just when going over bumps and turns or all the time?

Caboose302

Reaction score
I'd leave the tire on and jack it up. Use the leverage to try and move it up and down or left and right. If it moves left and right it's a tie rod. If it moves up and down its a ball joint and if it moves both its a wheel bearing.

Since it's usually on bumpy roads I would lean more towards balljoints, strut bushings, or the struts themselves. Sometimes it helps to use a pry bar under the tire to actuate the suspension to check the balljoints.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
When you do that though, make sure to have your springs loaded with the weight of the are so the steering components are free. What I'm saying is, jack the car up from the control arm. That will put you right under the spring and as you pick it up it will make the pressure be on the spring vs jacking up from the k member or subframe, that will let your tires hang and will put pressure on your ball joints.

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
Check all that and if it's all tight look at the brake pads. The anti-rattle clips can wear out. I've had that happen and it made a noise like you're talking about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online