Real-time navigation without directions?

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Let me explain. Is it possible to use my Android phone for real time location/navigation without having to set up a start/finish and get directions? As you can see this is my first time using a phone for navigation. I use to use GPS with Street Atlas USA on my laptop and could just drive off and it would update my location without a destination. Is that possible with Google maps? I can find easy directions for setting up a drive route or sharing you location with others but that is not what I want.

Taking it to the next level I plan to stream my Android phone to my MS Surface to use a a large display but one step at a time. Else, I will have to drop $1200 on a Kenwood receiver with built in navigation so I would rather try plan A. Thx.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I do it I just push the little google microphone button, say the address and then hit the button on the screen to take me there. Android auto makes it easy to hook up to an indash screen.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
What if you do not have a destination... just driving? That's the option I want.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure if you just pull up google maps it will show your current location. Not sure if it will show speed/direction per say but as you move, it should

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
I do not want to click on a button to update my location. As I drive it should update on the screen automatically. Hope I making more sense.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
right if you just open google maps right now it shows where you are. If you start running down the street it will show you moving. IF you get in your car it will do the same thing.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I do not want to click on a button to update my location. As I drive it should update on the screen automatically. Hope I making more sense.

That's what every GPS I've ever used does.
Like said above Google Maps does it for sure. You can even use the satellite view option, and see the actual view from above, not animated like others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online