Realistic approach to sell?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a '15 GT, but with that would come selling the good old '97. I've owned this car the past 10 years, and have obviously dumped TONS of money and mods into this thing. What is a realistic asking dollar for a car like this? Or would I be best off parting it out? Any input or guys that have been in similar situations that can give advice it would be appreciated. Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know the feeling as the newest GT is the first mustang that I have liked right from the start since the sn95 platform in 94. You have put a TON into that car though. My feeling now after owning new cars and building a car is that car parts is more fun the car/insurance payments.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well is it fixed yet?

I'd wager near 15k.

No, I'm slowly losing interest in putting more time into it. If its bottom end related I am seriously considering pulling engine and parting it out.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I know the feeling as the newest GT is the first mustang that I have liked right from the start since the sn95 platform in 94. You have put a TON into that car though. My feeling now after owning new cars and building a car is that car parts is more fun the car/insurance payments.

I feel the same way. I have loved the S550 since its release and have been researching them online for a while now. It's sentimental for sure, but when it comes down to it I went a bit overboard with modding it. We just bought my wife a brand new Jeep Cherokee this weekend and it really got me thinking how nice it is to have a car that actually starts at the turn of a key every time and how I would honestly probably drive the car way more if it was more quiet, comfortable, easy on gas, etc. I would be able to trade in my daily, a '11 mazda 3 w/ only 45k miles on it, plus if i can part the mustang out, I would honestly probably not be far off from having a $50 payment a month for a brand new '15...so that's what I'm considering

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Part out. It's the only way to get some money back for mods, especially if the vehicle has issues.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
^ good advice from oj. If there is anything wrong it makes the sale value plummet. If you are set on a 15, you will get more cash out of your car by fixing it (consider opportunity cost in this) or selling it in pieces. Good luck either way man

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Gotta do what ya gotta do man. Wish ya luck with whatever route you go. However, not trying to be a Vulture... If you plan on parting it, I'm not too far away, I'd come buy some stuff.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
^ good advice from oj. If there is anything wrong it makes the sale value plummet. If you are set on a 15, you will get more cash out of your car by fixing it (consider opportunity cost in this) or selling it in pieces. Good luck either way man

That's what I would have to decide. Which would make most sense once I can figure out exactly what's going on. If it's bottom end related, I would definitely part it out. If it's something quick and easy, maybe I could fix it and sell the car complete as is. I just wouldn't even know where to start as an asking price on a car like this if I fixed the issue.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Gotta do what ya gotta do man. Wish ya luck with whatever route you go. However, not trying to be a Vulture... If you plan on parting it, I'm not too far away, I'd come buy some stuff.

haha no problem man, I'll be sure to keep you up to date.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The 96 i built 10 years ago was a perfectly functioning, less than 3k miles on EVERYTHING but the body since rebuild.

Brand new FRPP aluminum engine block, 1000hp capable cobra crank, forged everything, P&P Pi heads and bullit intake, 70mm single turbo setup, 04 cobra IRS, Stainless AN everything, 1000hp capable fuel system, brand new suspension... Car was literally like new, it just needed a tune.

i was asking $18k which was under half of what i had invested into it. I barely got $13k

from my experience, take the value of a stock car, then 30% of the new cost of the mods (install labor you'll never get back) and thats about what you can expect to get on the high side.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
The 96 i built 10 years ago was a perfectly functioning, less than 3k miles on EVERYTHING but the body since rebuild.

Brand new FRPP aluminum engine block, 1000hp capable cobra crank, forged everything, P&P Pi heads and bullit intake, 70mm single turbo setup, 04 cobra IRS, Stainless AN everything, 1000hp capable fuel system, brand new suspension... Car was literally like new, it just needed a tune.

i was asking $18k which was under half of what i had invested into it. I barely got $13k

from my experience, take the value of a stock car, then 30% of the new cost of the mods (install labor you'll never get back) and thats about what you can expect to get on the high side.

Whew man that's depressing. That's basically about where I'm at in this build. Even with it running in its prime, I think I'd have to get 18k for it as it sits. I may end up parting it out if that's the case. The car has 50k original miles, 1000hp fuel system, built 4r70w with a $1,200 triple disc converter that might have 3,000 miles on it. My head unit and intercooler alone were over $4,000 lol.

RichV

Reaction score
If you have the time for a part out, deal with flaky buyers, and the time it will take you to recoup the $, it will be gone by the time you're ready to buy the '15.

Hard call. I would definitely try and sell as a whole 1st. Or at least as a roller and part the engine/trans for extra $.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do you really think that you can just trade it all for a new car and turn the key and be happy? I will bet it will be ok till you loose your first race then the mods will start there just like they did here and before you know it.......

Fix the car man

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the time for a part out, deal with flaky buyers, and the time it will take you to recoup the $, it will be gone by the time you're ready to buy the '15.

Hard call. I would definitely try and sell as a whole 1st. Or at least as a roller and part the engine/trans for extra $.

This ^

I'm currently selling my car and just don't have the time to meet with 50 people to sell parts and return it back to stock. If mid June rolls around and it hasn't sold and I can't get what I want for the car, maybe I'll consider it. Selling as a whole is easier if you're in deep with the car. Plus no one is going to want a stock mustang with slots in the rear bumper, 4 holes in the trunk, 8 holes in the front bumper, slammed on stock wheels.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
This ^

I'm currently selling my car and just don't have the time to meet with 50 people to sell parts and return it back to stock. If mid June rolls around and it hasn't sold and I can't get what I want for the car, maybe I'll consider it. Selling as a whole is easier if you're in deep with the car. Plus no one is going to want a stock mustang with slots in the rear bumper, 4 holes in the trunk, 8 holes in the front bumper, slammed on stock wheels.

I agree that it is a ton more work, aggravation, and time involved with parting it out. But for me to have to settle for selling this car for even say $13k...I just can't do it lol. I know the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I'll finish figuring out what the problem is, and if it's an easy fix I'll take care of it and see if I can sell the car as is...but to be honest I think I would be very hard pressed to find a buyer out there willing to spend $18k on a '97...regardless of the condition or mods done.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Whew man that's depressing. That's basically about where I'm at in this build. Even with it running in its prime, I think I'd have to get 18k for it as it sits. I may end up parting it out if that's the case. The car has 50k original miles, 1000hp fuel system, built 4r70w with a $1,200 triple disc converter that might have 3,000 miles on it. My head unit and intercooler alone were over $4,000 lol.

yup, it sucked. I was in a tighter spot than you may of been. I had just accepted a new job w/ a 600 mile move and needed something a bit more reliable and better for winter storms up north, so i took the best offer i had.

If you have the fortitude to hold out, you might be able to get what you want, but you would probably be better off parting out.

There is a 97 cobra in the same city as me now that popa up on craigslist about once a month. Built bottom end, T56, on3 70mm turbo setup and the supporting mods. He's been asking anywhere from $12 to $17k for that car. It looks like a nice car, but even I wouldnt pay that.. $8-10k maybe.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yup, it sucked. I was in a tighter spot than you may of been. I had just accepted a new job w/ a 600 mile move and needed something a bit more reliable and better for winter storms up north, so i took the best offer i had.

If you have the fortitude to hold out, you might be able to get what you want, but you would probably be better off parting out.

There is a 97 cobra in the same city as me now that popa up on craigslist about once a month. Built bottom end, T56, on3 70mm turbo setup and the supporting mods. He's been asking anywhere from $12 to $17k for that car. It looks like a nice car, but even I wouldnt pay that.. $8-10k maybe.

Yeah it definitely depends on the situation you're in for sure. If I didn't get anywhere near what I'm initially thinking I would just hold on to it. I have way too much money into this thing and its way too clean to just sell it for a 1/2 ass offer. It's a tough decision to make no doubt

1bad95

Reaction score
Sell your drive train and coyote swap it. Still have your mint car with the drive train you are wanting to get in the newer car. I bet it could be close to even when done

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.