REALLY SCREWED UP THIS TIME!!

cobra4978

Reaction score
Welp tonight was my fist night at the track ever. I took my car down there just to get some good runs in have some fun and come home. But things never happen the way yo envision them and i found myself riding home in a 4 door chevy truck pulling my car behind. I ran it 3 times down the track pretty good started out with a 15.1 then went to a 14.9 and the hit a 14.8 i was getting better and learning how to start but on the fourth pass disaster struck and as i went for 3rd it grinded real bad so i pulled out and went for it again this time completely wiping out my tranny i mean just destroyed it i could hear parts jumping around beneath my feet and could'nt get the car to go into any of the gears. so i coasted off the track then pushed it onto a trailer and drove it home a horrible finish to what seemed to be a pretty good day. :-[ while i was standing at my car though waiting for the trailer the gu who owned the car before me walks over and asks what wrong i tell him the situation and he says " well i've got a v8 tranny for that car" and i'm thinkin ok so what tranny does it have in it now? so i asked and he says " oh well its just got a 4 cylynder in it right now" :rant: so it took everything i had to keep from goin off on the guy for not telling me that in the begginnig but oh well i guess i had to find out some time next in line is a tremec t5 ;D hopefully that'll hold together better than the 4 cylynder tanny did! just though i'd share my story and tell you why not to use a 4 cylynder tranny for your car :mad:

G

GREG@SN95

lmao... well thats no surprise that that it blew, being its a 4 banger tranny... I would have kicked his fucking ass and been riding home, not in a tow truck, but a 4 door crown vic...

916_5.0

Reaction score
That sucks i dont think i would have been able to stay calm i probably would have had to kick his ass until he gave me the other tranny lol.

OP
OP
C

cobra4978

Reaction score
Yeah i was pretty pissed i shoulda expected it from these guys oh well i guess you live and learn i'm pretty :puke: right now though i just want my car back on the road

G

GREG@SN95

cobra4978 said:
Yeah i was pretty pissed i shoulda expected it from these guys oh well i guess you live and learn i'm pretty :puke: right now though i just want my car back on the road

Does your keyboard have a period key? something that makes a little dot like this -----------> .

?

:hammer:

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
...i have seen several cars with 4 cyl. t5's in em...did you ever ask him if it was the stock trans if not its not then it could have slipped his mind when he sold it and i wouldn't see it as being a big deal either ...i know alot of guys that throw out there stock t5's and get one from a 87 turbo coupe supposivly they are built better and those were 4 bangers right

Passenger

Reaction score
The t5's used in the 2.3T cars weren't all that. 87/88 Turbocoupes probably had the strongest of the 4cyl trannys. I think 79-86 were non-world class. Borg-Warrens. Just throwing that out there.

97vertstang

Reaction score
what an asshole. i would have been pretty pissed off, if the guy were to have told me that.but what can u do :nonono: hopefully u get the car working good again.

OP
OP
C

cobra4978

Reaction score
He said they put it in themselves....... I guess before they sold the car....... I would say they put it in just to patch things up before they sold it...... I've heard several that do that soi they wont have to spend the money to fix it right before they sold it........ He did'nt stick around to long after he told me though, he ran off pretty quick....... Is that better GREG@SN95? O0

OP
OP
C

cobra4978

Reaction score
Thanks 5.HOE. Yeah he was an ass. But the good news is i found another tranny today for $500 i think i'm gonna go for so hopefully it wont be to long before i'm back on the road again.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
well it sucks when you get those fly by guys that do that shit and keep it hush hush my 94 seems like its turning out that way...the guy i bought it from has another 94 so im thinking anything that was good went on his car before it got sold .....well on a side note your car looks great at least you got a good looking platform...did you put the 373's or did he? might wanna look into anything he did to it to make sure it was a. done and b. done right

OP
OP
C

cobra4978

Reaction score
Thanks... He put the 3:73's in the car and i hope he did it right i'm pretty sure they are 3:73's because of the way the car feels. And the rear dont make any noise so hopefully he did do that right.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
Just a FYI, some guys put the 4 cylinder trans in them because they are geared lower in first and help get our big cars going. I have also seen junkyard 4 cylinder trans last along time in H/C/I cars with nitrous. One local guy ran 7.20's in the 1/8th with one many times and that equals about mid 11's in the 1/4.

Sorry to here about the bad luck though. Thats why I haven't made it to the track yet, well and the fact that my clutch slips if I drive it hard. I still have my stock T-5 with 150,000+ miles on it :noes:

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
cobra4978 said:
Thanks... He put the 3:73's in the car and i hope he did it right i'm pretty sure they are 3:73's because of the way the car feels. And the rear dont make any noise so hopefully he did do that right.

well im looking at your mods and im worried i ran a 15.2 with only a cold air and catback and 180k on the clock stock 2.73 gears and all and im a auto :(

Downshift

Reaction score
Man that sucks. Might wanna just check on the gears to make sure. When I bought my car the guy said they were 3.73s and when I drove my friends with 373s they felt way different, jack up the rear end and spin the tire one revolution and however many times your driveshaft turns is your gear ratio. Mine turned out to be 390s.

Just curious anyone know what years and models of the 4cyl that came with a Tranny that would bolt on to our cars?

Passenger

Reaction score
1983-1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupes. 87-88s were the best I do believe. They were all Borg-Warrens T-5s. 87-88 TC's had 8.8" rears.

1984-1986 Mustang SVO's had Hurst modified T5s. They all had 7.5" rears.

1984-1986 Cougar XR7 (Turbo model) had Borg-Warren T5's and a 7.5" rear.

Hope this helps.

Downshift

Reaction score
Passenger said:
1983-1987 Thunderbird Turbocoupes. 87-88s were the best I do believe. They were all Borg-Warrens T-5s. 87-88 TC's had 8.8" rears.

1984-1986 Mustang SVO's had Hurst modified T5s. They all had 7.5" rears.

1984-1986 Cougar XR7 (Turbo model) had Borg-Warren T5's and a 7.5" rear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, and these bolt directly onto a 94-95 5.0?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.