Rear axle marking?

bumblebee

Reaction score
I have taken the rear axle off my car, I know it's a 8,8" , 28spline :blah2:

But?! There was a sticker on and it said 203B.

What does this mean?

ryclef331

Reaction score
honestly no idea....what are you wanting to know? You gear ratio?

ryclef331

Reaction score
I searched for a bit and didn't really find anything "in depth."

I mean, you know its an 8.8. If its a GT, you know its a posi. The only question is the rear gear ratio. You already got the axle out so just count the revolutions of the driveshaft until the axle makes one.

Thats what I've always done. Never bothered to search for tag codes.

OP
OP
B

bumblebee

Reaction score
Okey...

I know the specs on the axle, only wondering what the sticker whit 203B means... :)

It probebly doesn't mean anything...

Another question --> What aftermarket diff should I run? Eaton? Auburn?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Honestly, i'd say eaton out of those two but if it were ME, i'd look for an 8.8 trac loc out of an f-150 (b/c its 31spline), rebuild it with extra clutches in the pack (makes it lock up tighter), and a set of moser axles. THAT would be my streetable setup. I run a detroit locker in my car right now b/c I haven't anyone that still runs C-Clip axles that has broken one. Eatons and Auburns are great for the street but if you are going to be sticking with a 28spline axle still....just rebuild your stock one and pack and extra clutch disc in each side and call it a day!

OP
OP
B

bumblebee

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking in that terms, rebuild my stock trac loc with some carbon clutches and change the gears to 3.55

My car is an street only machine and will never be fitted with slicks or radials, how will the stock axle with the carbonfiber discs hold up?

ryclef331

Reaction score
It will hold up fine on street tires. When you rebuild it though, you have clutch discs and steel discs in layers on either side. If you either A) put a thicker shim on each side or B) replace one of the steel discs on each side with an OLD clutch disc that you just pulled out, it will physically lock the diff action up tighter. I ran thicker shims on mine for awhile with mickey thompson et street radials and it was lock damn near "spool" solid but would still unlock enough to make parking easy.

Robert M

Reaction score
bumblebee said:

What does this mean?

If you are talking about the paper tag/sticker that is wrapped around the passenger (right) side axle tube, that is an identifier to the assembly line worker as to what axle he is placing in the car, there is probably a corresponding/matching number on the cars build sheet to i.d that axle assembly.

This is nice to have a forum that has a "spell check"!

R

OP
OP
B

bumblebee

Reaction score
Robert M said:
bumblebee said:

What does this mean?

If you are talking about the paper tag/sticker that is wrapped around the passenger (right) side axle tube, that is an identifier to the assembly line worker as to what axle he is placing in the car, there is probably a corresponding/matching number on the cars build sheet to i.d that axle assembly.

This is nice to have a forum that has a "spell check"!

R

Yes, thats the one!

Thanks for the explination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online