Rear Coilover Question

302N20

Reaction score
I have the same issue as the op with the coilovers on the rear of my car. I also am using Strange 10 way adj rear shocks. I liked the idea of the adjustable mounts but $149 is ****ing ridiculous.

What I have heard/read is that a solution is to buy Strange 10 way rear shocks for a 79-93 fox instead of the 94-04 sn95. I have checked and there are different part numbers for them. The Fox body shock is suppose to be a shorter shock body, therefore lowering the car. They are only $69 a piece.

I'd like to hear someone actually measure the difference in shock body size who has access to both part number of shocks.

I'm leaning towards this solution because I think I'm bottoming out my shock, I know I've not bottomed out my spring.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
It won't change much. I had foxbody shocks and still had a foot of wheelgap. Drop brackets is the only solution.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm gonna get the drop brackets. Hopefully they will get me to where I want to be. I'm a bit worried cause I still have like 2" of fender gap I need to get rid of and I'm not sure if they will cut it without also changing to shorter springs.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ur planning on tucking with coilovers? I swear ur already flush with the springs and lca

Not much more than I previously was. I just bought the coilovers for the ride quality. My LCAs still had about half an inch of adjustability if I wanted to go lower. I'm gonna throw the springs back in next week because I can't live my life with that much wheel gap.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
10 inch spring is tall as hell for the rear on a Mustang. I'm running an 8 inch spring in the back of mine, and my car is not considered to be low at all. I've got a pair of 8inch tall 250# Hypercoils that I'm not using anymore, if you are interested, I can let go of those for 100 shipped. Keep in mind they are 75 a pop new. Or you could drive up to LA and pick them up, and check out the car while you're here.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
10 inch spring is tall as hell for the rear on a Mustang. I'm running an 8 inch spring in the back of mine, and my car is not considered to be low at all. I've got a pair of 8inch tall 250# Hypercoils that I'm not using anymore, if you are interested, I can let go of those for 100 shipped. Keep in mind they are 75 a pop new. Or you could drive up to LA and pick them up, and check out the car while you're here.

How much if I come pick them up? Might take you up on that offer.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Some bad news. I decided to double check the height, just to make sure. Turns out they are not 8 but 9 inch springs, so this will still be a little too tall for your use.

302N20

Reaction score
It won't change much. I had foxbody shocks and still had a foot of wheelgap. Drop brackets is the only solution.

I can't wrap my head around how much those drop brackets are. And I'm not too fond of cutting off my stock mounts to weld on lower ones.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wrap my head around how much those drop brackets are. And I'm not too fond of cutting off my stock mounts to weld on lower ones.

They seem like a lot; but consider: they are hooking up to an integral suspension mount point - imagine the forces being exerted there. The brackets would need to be pretty beefy to offer mount-point extension without bending, metal fatigue or failure. Sure it seems like a lot of money, but frankly if they were $20 I would be highly suspicious of them. Now, I'm not saying they must be good because they are expensive; however if I assume the price is indicative of the materials and design, then I can understand the cost. I suspect most of the cost is in the fact that they let you adjust to a desired height. If they were simply brackets with a set drop point, then they would be much, much cheaper (but then you wouldn't have any height adjustment).

(Disclaimer: I do not use those brackets, nor do I know anyone that does, so I can't speak to the quality of the item.)

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some bad news. I decided to double check the height, just to make sure. Turns out they are not 8 but 9 inch springs, so this will still be a little too tall for your use.

No worries, thanks anyway.

There's no welding or cutting required. They are a bolt-on part. The only thing you may have to do is bore out the hole to 3/8" for the hardware to fit but that took me 30 seconds.

They seem like a lot; but consider: they are hooking up to an integral suspension mount point - imagine the forces being exerted there. The brackets would need to be pretty beefy to offer mount-point extension without bending, metal fatigue or failure. Sure it seems like a lot of money, but frankly if they were $20 I would be highly suspicious of them. Now, I'm not saying they must be good because they are expensive; however if I assume the price is indicative of the materials and design, then I can understand the cost. I suspect most of the cost is in the fact that they let you adjust to a desired height. If they were simply brackets with a set drop point, then they would be much, much cheaper (but then you wouldn't have any height adjustment).

(Disclaimer: I do not use those brackets, nor do I know anyone that does, so I can't speak to the quality of the item.)

Agreed. I was a little discouraged by the price at first but now I realize they're probably worth it for me at this point. I don't see running a 7" or 8" spring as a viable option. I'll just save up some guap and get these in the beginning of the year. If they fail to give me the adjustment I need, a set of 9" springs with these brackets should do the trick.

302N20

Reaction score
There's no welding or cutting required. They are a bolt-on part. The only thing you may have to do is bore out the hole to 3/8" for the hardware to fit but that took me 30 seconds.

My cutting comment was referring to making custom ones in place of the factory mount plus aftermarket super expensive option. I know there is no cutting on the after market brackets

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score

LA as i los angeles? or LA as in the state?

EDIT: i creeped on your profile and saw that FSR is located in CA. Do you own this shop? or do you work in that shop? Reason why im asking is because i live literally 10 miles away from that shop. and i work in san dimas (new job). so im really familiar with that area.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The shop belongs to one of my good friends, I'm simply promoting the business. They are well known in SoCal for their fab work, bread and butter being Supras and Turbo BMWs. But they work on anything really. They have an in house dyno jet as well. I actually live in Studio City

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The shop belongs to one of my good friends, I'm simply promoting the business. They are well known in SoCal for their fab work, bread and butter being Supras and Turbo BMWs. But they work on anything really. They have an in house dyno jet as well. I actually live in Studio City

did they happen to do work on this supra??
20ts2no.jpg

if soo, i think one of my friend's cousin owns it

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yeah, they've worked on that car. If I remember correctly, it's an N/A with ITB. That all sheet metal bodywork in the back is pretty freaking nice.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Removed the coilovers today and put the springs back in.

So much better lol

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, they've worked on that car. If I remember correctly, it's an N/A with ITB. That all sheet metal bodywork in the back is pretty freaking nice.

Do you happen to know his cousin stephen? he was a 94 gt and many other cars, he worked on that supra too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online