Rear end dope replacement/ HELP!

Mystic1688

Reaction score
96 Cobra 3.73 gear

Real quick! i need to know what type of fluid (weight) to put in the rear end, plus the additive if needed, im getting 20 different answers on what to use.

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
75w90. If it's limited slip, which it should be in a Cobra, you'll need friction modifier. I've always used the ford racing friction modifier.

lutter94

Reaction score
some higher end oils have the additive already, i believe royal purple and lucas both do.

RichV

Reaction score
Valvoline 75/90 LS is what I use. No friction modifier. Guys say to still use the additive, I never have.

OP
OP
M

Mystic1688

Reaction score
Wow.... today has been awesome i had a little rear end/trans noise/vibration (found out i didn't put my drive shaft in right) today so i pulled it into a decent shop around my town i told them the problems i had after changing the fluid well ,the guy told me i might need to check the trans fluid (t45). This is were it gets good! when he was checking my fluid levels i noticed he was having a difficult time, so i jumped under the lift and found he was backing the reverse pivot bolt out. he swore it was not the pivot and left it half out. I tried to leave it wouldn't go in reverse convinced him to throw it back up and screw the bolt in and i have reverse back. would this cause any damage what so ever should i be worried?

lutter94

Reaction score
sounds like they owe you a rebuild. I have no idea if it is damaging or not, but i wouldn't be pleased......

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I don't know if it can cause any damage, but if it did/does, they owe you a new transmission... I wouldn't trust them to rebuild it if they can't even check/change the fluid correctly.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hack shops? Parts swappers? Im sorry your car had that horrendous experience while you watched in pain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online