Rear end feels like it swaying from side to side at highway speed

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I have a 96 GT and when I hit 65 mph it feels like the rear end is moving back and forth its not bouncing up and down it feels as if it is moving side to side only at 65 and other speed and it feels normal 60 and below. Even when the clutch is pressed in the same thing happens. I dont know much about this car just got it. I was told that a new clutch was put in it a few months ago. Any ideas I have talked to a few people and they suggested ujoints tires etc. I would like to hear other possibilities if possible I can drive the car but I dont go over 50 in it and that just doesnt seem right I feel the car should go way past 50 but with this issue I'm concerened about breaking something. I have read on different forums diifferent issues but nothing that states the same issue I am having. First thought is to changed out the rear shocks and get the tires balanced. Thanks in advance

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Could be the bushings in your rear upper or lower control arms. I'd check those out.

RichV

Reaction score
Replace that shit before you wind up in a ditch.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I'll do that thanks for the help. I was hoping that's what it is. I'm new to mustangs so all info and help is great

wmfateam

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Drivers side lower control arm front bushing looks like it has melted out.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I recommend j&m as well. Migjt want to check and see if the dway bar has been removed. That may cause a bit of swaying.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. Looks like I will be getting those very soon. I also found that the ujoints were shot and that the transmount was really bad it was held on by one bolt and it was destroyed.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Garunteed the upper bushings in the diff are done for as well

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Was gonna say the same. Mine were beyond shot. So ford racing upper axle bushings went in, problem solved

My shits all solid spherical bushings up top on the diff and heim joint everywhere else including the front

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.